Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    been digging the "Wild China" series...

for those who have seen the Rush documentary...where in the hell did the professionaly shot footage of a teenage Alex Lifeson arguing with his parents about not wanting to finish high school and be in a band come from...why in the hell was that being shot?

It's from an early 70s Allan King (RIP) documentary "Come On Children" about Toronto kids living on a farm for a while. That footage was the audition.

• bassie said:
    The_Hook_Up said:
    been digging the "Wild China" series...

for those who have seen the Rush documentary...where in the hell did the professionaly shot footage of a teenage Alex Lifeson arguing with his parents about not wanting to finish high school and be in a band come from...why in the hell was that being shot?

It's from an early 70s Allan King (RIP) documentary "Come On Children" about Toronto kids living on a farm for a while. That footage was the audition.

thank you...it has been puzzling me for awhile

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    RAJ said:

interesting choice. i love nirvana and watched this back when it came out. i kinda was buying into it, but rewatching it recently, it seemed forced and just a long railing against Courtney Love, cuz she dissed the guy who made the movie.

• olsunolsun 35 Posts

• Okem said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Okem said:

If you haven't seen it, go watch it now.

Made by TIm Hetherington, the same dude who made the extraordinary & insightful 'The Devil Came on Horseback' & Liberia: An Uncivil War.

what is with the crazy red beards on some of these Afghan elders?
    Yer, Afghans / Pashtuns are an interesting ethnic group, light skin or dark skinned, blue, green or brown eyes, various hair colours including bright red, that turns black with age then grey, but the red comes back out in the beard.

Real center of the ancient world type ish.

no way the color Im talmbout is natural; this is like fire engine red. I think they use henna to dye them or something.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    it's to cover gray, (Muslim) men can only use henna to dye hair - despite the marked difference between their natural hair colour
    (there is no black henna, not a safe mixture anyway)

• bassie said:
    it's to cover gray, (Muslim) men can only use henna to dye hair - despite the marked difference between their natural hair colour
    (there is no black henna, not a safe mixture anyway)

i was wondering about that. ive seen a lot of red bearded older muslim dudes around here

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    If you're gonna be in Portland on January 14th come check out local documentarian Lev Anderson's "Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone". Gonna be Red Hot!

• DrWu said:
    If you're gonna be in Portland on January 14th come check out local documentarian Lev Anderson's "Everyday Sunshine: The Story of Fishbone". Gonna be Red Hot!

I'd like to see this.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Fishbone: my favorite band in 8th grade, my favorite band in 34th grade.

I don't really care for all the proclamations of how great they are or should be...no shit, Sherlock. But I am dying to see that doc.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    chase crusher said:
    caught this on netflix, train wreck you can't look away from

Halfway through right now.
    Holy shit these people are awful

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    DrWu said:

I'd like to see this.

Great film but could have been even greater. The subject is so ripe, the characters so compelling, yet I felt there was a lot left out or parts that could have been explored in greater depth. The best part is that it focuses on their relationships which I knew almost nothing about. Angelo is so fucking crazy. Warning to the heads, the exploration of their albums is not super in depth if that is what you are looking for. It's more of a character study about being an artist.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    The wife and I just got done watching this and we both found it to be absolutely incredible:

• Just saw this one. Pretty fascinating!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:

Just saw this one. Pretty fascinating!

Thanks, just added to the queue.
    Who has seen Ghost Bird about the Ivory Billed Woodpecker?

• last night i had a couple pints of guinness with dinner then swilled a belt of robitussin before watching "OCEANS" the new disney nature doc. not only was it facemeltingly amazing, but i think the toxic combination of alcohol and medication made it the most enjoyable thing i've watched in years.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Looks good. I'd watch a David Sibley doc too.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

Essential viewing

• I just watched the two documentaries by Louis Theroux about the Westboro Baptist Church, "The Most Hated Family In America" and "America's Most Hated Family In Crisis." The one titled "In Crisis" basically talks to some of the members who had left and how the family reacted to them leaving. But the highlight of all those documentaries was this, to me.

Crazy. Ness.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Some faves I never tire of:

• Options

I think this one is pretty nice.

• I was invited to go see a free screening of this film this week and I went to Youtube to see if I could find the trailer of it. I couldn't find the trailer, but I did find the entire film. It was a nice watch, and a few of these bands sound like something I might check out of curiosity.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Caught the Tribe doc online yesterday. Really good.
    link that shit

• Musically Mad 'A Documentary on UK reggae systems'