Post a Good Documentary You Have Seen Recently

Comments

• Ozploitation documentary

Trailer NSFW ,for boobs

• Martin said:
    This dude said fuck it and moved to Alaska in the 70s on some pristine lake front property. Built a log cabin and chilled for about 30 years til he couldnt handle the winters. Pretty crazy to think 4 generations ago my family built their home, now my city-fied ass can barely hang a picture straight.

aw this was the shit this dude hated people! i used to watch this whenever it was on pbs. i think he hated women too which wasn't too cool but his project was incredible to watch.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    This is actually sort of embarrassing, and I'm not sure how good the actual doc was, but it was def interesting -- from what I saw of it.

Listening to dude from Entourage "narrate" was painful, though.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    EXIT THROUGH THE GIFT SHOP:

The movie stops at 1:05:31
    Pickles

• Welcome To Lagos

• After Innocence
    Dear Zachary

• The Great Happiness Space

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Martin said:
    This dude said fuck it and moved to Alaska in the 70s on some pristine lake front property. Built a log cabin and chilled for about 30 years til he couldnt handle the winters. Pretty crazy to think 4 generations ago my family built their home, now my city-fied ass can barely hang a picture straight.

Just watched the first 4 parts. I think I need to build a log cabin at some point. Not in Alaska though.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    fauxteur said:
    Could you be any more obtuse?

The clip is from 'L'Enfer d'Henri-Georges Clouzot' ( which is basically a making-of documentary about Clouzot's lost masterpiece) it is a very good documentary though, especailly if you're a film fan.

But, if you're looking for ghetto tourism or tabloid stories of despair, it's probably best avoided.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I've recently revisited this, great documentary on the history & evolution of BMX over the past 40 years. Most of the legends get interviewed: Stu Thomsen, Bob Haro, Perry Kramer, etc...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    The ones I have seen most recently were The Joe Spinell Story and Songs of the Homeland. The first is about the famous, enigmatic movie character actor of the 70s and 80s. The second is about the birth and modern continuation of Tex-Mex conjunto music. Neither are life changing, but both are well done. The Tex-Mex one was from a mid-90s A&E special that was included on a tape that one of my professors gave to me (modern Mexican art. A couple of weeks ago, we were talking briefly about Cuernavaca, MX), which included a broadcast of Under The Volcano. The Spinell one was very heartfelt and complete.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

just bought & rewatched this after having seen it shortly after it dropped a couple years back.

• LewisLewis Connecticut 101 Posts

one of my recent favorites from a few years ago

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Sorry to hijack, but does anybody know anything about a Yusef Lateef docu? Heard something about 3 yrs ago but can't find anything online...

"Brother Yusef". You can buy a stream/file/dvd here:

http://docalliancefilms.com/film/7200/

It's mainly based around a present-day interview with Lateef in his home in Massachusetts where he talks about his philosophies, plays his wooden flute, reads poems, etc. Don't expect a retrospective of his career with lots of obscure footage of him playing with legends back in the days.

At the same festival where I saw "Brother Yusef", I saw the swedish Albert Ayler docu that damms posted a download link for earlier in this thread. Very enjoyable as well.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    That Albert Ayler film is amazing, wish it would come out on DVD already.

• dammsdamms 704 Posts
    Inventing LA: The Chandlers & their Times http://www.pbs.org/kcet/inventing-la/watch_online.html
    doc on the family that build the LA Times
    watched a week ago
    very interesting

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    SportCasual said:
    I watched Cities on Speed - Bogota last year and it really made me not too excited about going to visit. "A city of people who hated their city" (or something like that).

Anyhow, I visited last month and had a great itme. So, the stuff in the doc must have worked.

Thanks for posting! Awesome.

I saw the mumbai and shanghai ones. Quite tepid.

• mickalphabetmickalphabet deep inna majestic segue 374 Posts
    BIG RIVER MAN

amazing

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Just saw "Beer Wars" a couple weeks ago. If you can get past the unabashed "Fuck corporate America" theme, there's some pretty cool insight into the micro brewery industry. Cool shots and interviews with the Sam Adams people and Stone people. Spends a lot of time with the Dogfishhead guys too. Worth a Netflix if you're into beer.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

Hands On A Hard Body - weird competition of endurance in Texas
    Wordplay - crosswords, will shortz, tournaments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    cove said:

Loved Hands on a Hard Body. A fictional adaptation of that was going to be Robert Altman's next project when he passed away.

Wordplay was cool to me but I far preferred the Scrabble doc Word Wars.

• I finally saw Exit Through the Giftshop. It was pretty damn good.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    onetet said:
    cove said:

Loved Hands on a Hard Body. A fictional adaptation of that was going to be Robert Altman's next project when he passed away.

Wordplay was cool to me but I far preferred the Scrabble doc Word Wars.

No doubt about Word Wars....but when it comes down to it, i'll watch a doc about most things, really.
    I really like "non-fiction".

• finally caught wheedles groove a few months back at a local music film festival, also saw marwencol a few weeks back when it opened, both were great and highly recommended

• My top 5 of 2010 (no particular order)

Foreign Parts (JP Sniadecki and Verena Paravel)
    Sweetgrass (Lucien Taylor and Ilisa Barbash)
    The Oath (Laura Poitras)
    My Perestroika (Robin Hessman)
    Last Train Home (Lixin Fan)

I haven't seen Enemies of the People yet, but have a feeling that could make it too.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    goodwill_hunting said:
    finally caught wheedles groove a few months back at a local music film festival, also saw marwencol a few weeks back when it opened, both were great and highly recommended

absolutely, these are two of my favorite documentaries of the last few years. the people who made wheedle's groove are super-nice, too.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

If you haven't seen it, go watch it now.

Made by TIm Hetherington, the same dude who made the extraordinary & insightful 'The Devil Came on Horseback' & Liberia: An Uncivil War.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

plan on seeing this this week sometime at my local art house theater.
    This is probably the 10th burroughs documentary thats been made, but i kinda geek out over stuff on on him.