Favorite LP Gimmick

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited September 2010 in Strut Central
Not sure when it began but the first examples of LP gimmickry I know of was in '61-'62 when the Cameo/Parkway label included pictures of the artist and bonus 45's with their LP's.

Capital copied the bonus 45 around the same time.

By the time the mid-60's rolled around posters were almost expected with rock LP's.

Some of my favorites have been the Raspberries scratch and sniff sticker....the Zeppelin III die-cut wheel......and the KISS "Love Gun".

What's your favorite record gimmick?

Comments

• The 3 Feet High and Rising proof of purchases.

• The Three Sounds - Beautiful Friendship LP has the most gorgeous fold-out pop-up cover I ever saw. Can't find a picture of the opened up gatefold with added booklet. Typeface, color-scheme, shapes. This cover is closest to perfection.

• street_muzik said:

Cosign...

• I thought laser-etched vinyl had some potential, but after the Split Enz and live Styx records it seemed to fade away.

• funky16corners said:
    street_muzik said:

Cosign...

what's the deal w/this? rolling papers or something?

b/w

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK F16!

• willie_fugal said:
    funky16corners said:
    street_muzik said:

Cosign...

Exactly.

They didn't stop there either. Los Cochinos had a weird die-cut cover, Cheech & Chong's Wedding Album was designed to look exactly like the title (with an additional page of photos), and then there was Sleeping Beauty, which had the cover rounded off so it looked like the biggest pill in the world when you opened it up:

• I always thought this was cool.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• This one was nice...first heart shaped single?

• One of the first TISM singles was a 7" inside a 12" cover sealed on all four sides, so it just rattled around inside and you have to rip the cover to listen to the single.

• bobtheorange said:

I always thought this was cool.

what is it?

• leonleon 883 Posts
    There was this punk band that had sandpaper inside the sleeve, always thought that was cool!

• Any album cover with a mirror on it!

Uriah Heep - Look At Yourself
    Graham Central Station - Mirror
    Albert Brooks - Comedy Minus One

• Turn the whatchamacallit on the right and you can change what Buddah artist shows up in the slot above.

Bell had a similar concept (another label sampler called Dial A Hit, with a telephone instead of Buddah's scale), but it didn't show the artists' pictures, just their names.

• the paper panties inside alice cooper - schools out

the sir nose poster inside the parliament record

the peddlers album that looks like a packet of matches

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Still got my bought-at-the-time o.g. of this, even though a pressing/mastering fault rendered most of it unplayable.

• Masta Ace Sitting on --Chrome-- LP
    Madonnas 'Like a Prayer' was Scented.
    DK/Jelo Records with Newspapers.
    I always like fabric covers..velvets and faux leathers
    Are free digital downloads considered a gimmick?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

Still got my bought-at-the-time o.g. of this, even though a pressing/mastering fault rendered most of it unplayable.

I've got one too. From PROBE by any chance?

• willie_fugal said:
    funky16corners said:
    street_muzik said:

Cosign...

b/w

GREAT TO HAVE YOU BACK F16!

Yeah, giant leaf of rolling paper. I still have a copy with the paper intact that I found at a flea market

b/w

Thanks!

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    bobtheorange said:

I always thought this was cool.

what is it?

That's the soundtrack to the Bollywood movie "Shalamar". I wish I had that fold out version. Pretty bad-ass.

I guess my favorite gimmick in general is the elaborate foldout cover. I like Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" cover, which folds out to a whole newspaper with about 8 pages, with articles and a crossword puzzle and all kinds of shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Might have been. I actually got it for Christmas...

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I'm with you Rock. I always thought the Love Gun was pretty slick.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Might have been. I actually got it for Christmas...

I can imagine the letter...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The P-Funk Earth Tour LP had a poster and a t-shirt iron on decal that said "Take Funk To Heaven in '77!" that was pretty cool. A friend of mine actually used his decal a few years ago, but you see reprints of the shirt around now.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    The Soft Machine s/t on Probe
    Jesse Hill - Naturally ( not that good musically )
    Jethro Tull - Stand Up
    Annette Peacock - I'm The One ( RCA )
    The Sylvers II
    Freda Payne - Contact
    Ruth Copeland - I Am What I Am
    War - A Black Man's Burdon ( MGM ) came with a 1.00 insert for a dollar off a war concert
    Hawkwind - Space Ritual
    Parliament - A Motor Booty Affair ( featured a die-cut interior gatefold Atlantis themed pop-up )

• beegees "velvet cover"

tool "lateralus" is really cool

• Always liked the Nu Yorican Soul mock Cuban cigar box some of these came complete with a cigar in tube. I think my vinyl emporium vendor helped himself to mine. No proof though.

http://s.dsimg.com/image/R-92374-1112463301.jpg

• the die-cut glasses were cool