edited July 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Fantastic song. It's The Webs - It's So Hard To Break A Habit

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    Junior said:
    Fantastic song. It's The Webs - It's So Hard To Break A Habit
    Thanks mang!
    I played that to some friends on repeat about 5 times, drunk on whisky, at 3am a few weekends ago.
    Total whiteboy/blackest music ratio in full effect.

Yes! That's exactly when that should be played IMO. Only got it that quickly as been revisiting the Dave Godin collections the last few weeks on a proper deep soul binge. That particular song always reminds me of Lee Moses at his most pained on some What You Want Me To Be tip. Best listened to while drunk and howling at the moon.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    It took one play to cut through the drunken fug everybody was in, and on each successive play, whisky went down faster (two and a half bottles of my best single malt!). My friend Steve (who had given up smoking), was chuffing away on a camberwell carrot, and a guy called Will points out to him that he quit, to which Steve drained his glass and simply said "Not tonight", which I thought summed up the spirit of this song quite nicely, and was about the last coherent thing I heard from him that night. Bluesy, heart-wrenching shit of the highest calibre.

EDIT: I remember a series of Dave Godin CDs being pimped in Big Daddy, but never checked. Similar standard throughout?

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    Godin's deep soul comps are essential. Grown folks music.

If they were the Deep Soul Vols 1-4 then I couldn't recommend them enough. Hard to say they're all as good as that particular one but the overall standard is top drawer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Godin#Dave_Godin.27s_Deep_Soul_Treasures_:_Taken_from_the_Vaults

Great selection of artists that opened my eyes at the time though I expect a lot of the tracks that were new to me at the time are probably more commonly known thanks to the power of the web these days.