Old Man Rap

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Now that dudes are beginning to rap about life, and things other than rapping itself, and how terrible new rap is, it's becoming a bit more tolerable.

BONG.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Now that dudes are beginning to rap about life, and things other than rapping itself, and how terrible new rap is, it's becoming a bit more tolerable.

If only the same could happen for posting on message boards.
    ketan

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dooms shit almost alwaysholds up imo. hes got endless good rhymes and picks nice sample based beats.

sadat looks old and sounds old. that video made me sad. made me think that he actually always sounded like an old dude rapping, but it used to work a lot better. for real he sounds like he needs to chase kids off his lawn.

that wu joint is cool...decent production. i thought slim charles killed cheese though?!!! they got him rapping?

and that dres joint was very old man rap in a good way. like some clark gable cary grant cognac in the nyc penthouse old man. dres is a suave dude with a good flow. but its called Black sheep and Lawngs not in the video??? cmon son

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Meet me in the geritrap
    Flaunting more silver than Centrum
    Mixing up the formula, Grecian
    Cod liver oil and indonesian

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    REAL old man rap = dropping your first 12" at 61 years old.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    I remember feeling tracks off of this when it dropped. Old man rap classique?

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Jazzsucka said:

Definately. Old man rap has been "a thing" since at least 2001.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    dooms shit almost alwaysholds up imo. hes got endless good rhymes and picks nice sample based beats.

sadat looks old and sounds old. that video made me sad. made me think that he actually always sounded like an old dude rapping, but it used to work a lot better. for real he sounds like he needs to chase kids off his lawn.

that wu joint is cool...decent production. i thought slim charles killed cheese though?!!! they got him rapping?

and that dres joint was very old man rap in a good way. like some clark gable cary grant cognac in the nyc penthouse old man. dres is a suave dude with a good flow. but its called Black sheep and Lawngs not in the video??? cmon son

Hey Tripdubs,

What, you didn't like that Sadat X joint? That shit was a straight-up banger, mane!!! I thought Sadat flowed pretty well on it considering how long he's been in the game. I found the Doom track a little boring after a while, but the Wu joint was off the chain too. Then again, I'm an old man so I like that kind of stuff.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    The beat - DJ Signify had this cover of Soul Condor on his Signifying Breaks mix, if any one knows what I'm on about, is this the same sample? Weird 'Inca' acoustic guitar business...

No, it isn't...if i'm not mistaken, Signify used this one...

tripledouble said:

Hey Tripdubs,

What, you didn't like that Sadat X joint? That shit was a straight-up banger, mane!!! I thought Sadat flowed pretty well on it considering how long he's been in the game. I found the Doom track a little boring after a while, but the Wu joint was off the chain too. Then again, I'm an old man so I like that kind of stuff.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

stacko,
    i dont know man...sometimes it takes time to get into a track, but he was sounding high pitched and old. i was thinking about it for a second and i think he always sounded like that, even when he was young...he had a dope old head vouce and flow.his own thing, real unique. but know that he's graying...
    and i didnt like how petes chorus was like "im not gonna let sadat sink..." and some of x's lines were like, "i dont step on toes". it was just hinting at old staleness.

dooms just writes ridiculous rhymes, no matter how old and fat he gets.

sticky_dojah said:
    Duderonomy said:
    The beat - DJ Signify had this cover of Soul Condor on his Signifying Breaks mix, if any one knows what I'm on about, is this the same sample? Weird 'Inca' acoustic guitar business...

No, it isn't...if i'm not mistaken, Signify used this one...

ive listened to that mix a half million times and dont recall hearing any version of this. especially not from ritual. whats befor/after it?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    The section starts off with the vocal bit:
    "Hey Archie, why are you sending all of those mixed messages?"*

And yes, Sticky is right, it's Nico Gomez, but Signify must've pitched it up to +6 or something as the singing sounds like an octave higher.

*if you bought the CD, it's track 11 (shameless unreal head who didn't cop the tape)

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    The section starts off with the vocal bit:
    "Hey Archie, why are you sending all of those mixed messages?"*

And yes, Sticky is right, it's Nico Gomez, but Signify must've pitched it up to +6 or something as the singing sounds like an octave higher.

*if you bought the CD, it's track 11 (shameless unreal head who didn't cop the tape)

but it's on the "mixed messages", not on the "signyfying breaks" mix...oh well, don't guilt the lilly now back to old man rap...i like me some...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    erewhon said:
    Jazzsucka said:

Earlier than that, I'd say.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    erewhon said:
    Jazzsucka said:

Earlier than that, I'd say.

Proto-Old Man Rap.

They were still 'young'.

Yeah, they were addressing growing up issues, but Old Men they werent just yet, IMO.

I think they officailly moved into The Old Ass Man Rap?? Zone w/ the Grind Date.

Ill add Brand Nubian - Foundation as another "precursor" to this "Genre"
    Dont Let It Go To Your Head was talmbout new jacks earning their keep in the game.

No doubt. I remember there being some debate on here a few years ago as to whether or not Stakes... represented the genesis of Old Ass Man Rap??, or was no more than just old ass men rapping. There wasn't much by way of approval or enthusiasm for it in either event.

DocMcCoy said:
    No doubt. I remember there being some debate on here a few years ago as to whether or not Stakes... represented the genesis of Old Ass Man Rap??, or was no more than just old ass men rapping. There wasn't much by way of approval or enthusiasm for it in either event.

Good question. I guess u'd have to look at the landscape when it dropped.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jive turkeys and turncoats need not apply
    when life calls the dude abides
    far from a walker, never met a wheelchair
    gray hairs on my chin, with wood that'll make you say it's still there?

• staxwax said:
    Applying the tag 'old man' to music makes no sense really - Old Man Funk? Old Man Jazz? Old Man Reggae? Old Man Rock? all suck?

to play devil's advocate here,

rather than making no sense, 'old man rock' is actually a very descriptive term, and deserving of its own record divider tabs at shops everywhere.

and thanks to batmon, 'old man rap' stays front and center in my listening program...

Yo everybody wanna talk shit, when you make a new album
    It's not good as the last one
    How many have sold? See all them cheap-ass niggaz that review your record
    Them suckers with fancy iPods, like a bitch they download
    And go on the internet like a booking agent asking you for a free show
    They destroyed the goodness like somebody pissin in the snow
    A bunch of underground groups, fuckin up the game
    Goin out with they ass out and a cheap-ass band
    For five hundred a night, that's the reason why Hip-Hop is dead
    Your venue is booked up, with circus clown acts
    that perform cheaply, in your local paper
    I see the same lame niggaz in the Village Voice and the L.A. Weekly
    Doin them same bullshit gigs repeatedly
    These cats performin for cold cuts and juice backstage
    need to stop immediately
    People that can't find your record, stop lyin, and go to Virgin
    Otherwise you should cut yourself in the face like a surgeon
    Always searchin on the web, like you spend money
    When the merchandise show up you got thin money

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'm really digging the AG album. Apart from "On the block" and the track with Party Arty, it's solid. Party Arty raps with that Bale Begins-voice: I'm just waiting for him to scream "Where were the other drugs going?" Two track removed and it'll be my riding-the-train-to-work-soundtrack for a while.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yup I agree you have to look at the landscape when this joint dropped...and you have to also consider that De La has pretty much been anti "what everyone else is doing" since 3 ft high and rising... so can you say that De La 1st LP was a precursor to old man rap?

sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Yup I agree you have to look at the landscape when this joint dropped...and you have to also consider that De La has pretty much been anti "what everyone else is doing" since 3 ft high and rising... so can you say that De La 1st LP was a precursor to old man rap?

I disagree.

3Feet High and Rising was young rappers "against the grain" of other young rappers, w/ an "Old Man" producer.

Yes, there was that one skit/song w/ that kid "Jeff- My Name is Jeff" where they dis his regular ass slang......"Beat It Kid", Brain Washed Follower.

But Old Ass Man Rap it is not.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    sweatshop said:
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

I disagree.

3Feet High and Rising was young rappers "against the grain" of other young rappers, w/ an "Old Man" producer.

Yes, there was that one skit/song w/ that kid "Jeff- My Name is Jeff" where they dis his regular ass slang......"Beat It Kid", Brain Washed Follower.

But Old Ass Man Rap it is not.

I guess we will disagree . It is my contention that you don't have to be old to make grown folk music....which De La has been doing since day one De La was anti pretty much everything mainstream from day one..."black medallions no gold" hell isn't that what me myself and i was about? They have been looking at everything going on in hip hop and critiquing it which is what they are doing in "The stakes is high" but they have been doing it way before that joint is my point. So if people are gonna say "Stakes is high" is De La's precursor to grown man rap I say go back further. Point is De La been spitting grown man shit since what 1989..imo

I see your point, although I think being anti-everything is often indicative of a smug, or even adolescent outlook - rappers like Lupe Fiasco acting like their oppositional attitude makes them smarter than everyone else. This whole Old Man Rap thing we're talking about (not entirely seriously, I might add) is characterised by a tendency to complain for the sake of it without offering anything new by way of an alternative. De La's way of standing apart from the mainstream was by emphasising their outsider-ness, but what they were doing was still new - it wasn't old-fashioned by any means, inasmuch as you could be old-fashioned in '88.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    if "old ass man rap" is gonna be defined as older rappers critiquing the current state of hip hop and / or hating on the young bucks who are coming up and eclipsing their popularity or changing the game, the originators of old ass man rap would have to be mele mel, kool moe dee and the cold crush brothers... they were doing that way back in the eighties

< / thread >

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    maaaaaaan, do we really have to retread the whole "Stakes Is High" shit? Fist-shaking isn't exclusive to old men, although it's definitely a good way to make boring rap music. When I was young in rap years, a lot of guys my age (myself included) were making mad-at-the-world new-rap-sucks material. It's not an old dude trait exclusively.

I started this thread with some joints that I thought were old (in different ways) but were good. Barely any music poasted since then but a lot of bla-bla.

Now I am an old man in rap years and I am looking for some rap music that speaks to me so I don't always have to be playing Luther and Blue Magic on BLS while I'm riding around