Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty

JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
So only got a heads up a little while ago that Big Boi was offering a stream of the whole album on his MySpace page (who would have thought that I'd find something interesting on MySpace in 2010). Just had a listen through and, while it's a bit tricky to come to a definite conclusion on a stream through pc headphones have to say that I'm liking it a lot.

While I'd still love to have Royal Flush on there the lack of 3 Stacks isn't as noticeable as I'd feared and for the most part the album steers clear of what is to my ears the cheesier end of this type of sound. Will hold off final judgement till I can listen to it properly but at the moment very happy about what I've heard.

Anyone else had a chance to listen to it yet? http://www.myspace.com/bigboi

Comments

• i'm excited by this, but am avoiding listening to the stream. i don't like listing to music on the computer (old dude-related), and i often project my dislike of listening to music on the computer onto whatever i'm listening to. i'll have to wait a week.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    I like this album, it tails off a bit at the end and has too many tracks but it sounds good.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tracklist:
    01. Feel Me (Intro) (Produced By Malay)
    02. Daddy Fat Sax (Produced By Mr. DJ)
    03. Turns Me On Ft. Sleepy Brown And Joi (Produced By Organized Noize)
    04. Follow Us Ft. Vonnegutt (Produced By Salaam Remi)
    05. Shutterbug Ft. Cutty (Produced By Scott Storch Co-Produced By Big Boi)
    06. General Patton (Produced By Jbeatzz And Big Boi)
    07. Tangerine Ft. T.I. And Khujo Goodie (Produced By Knightheet And Big Boi)
    08. You Ain???t No DJ Ft. Yelawolf (Produced By Andre 3000)
    09. Hustle Blood Ft. Jamie Foxx (Produced By Lil??? Jon)
    10. Be Still Ft. Janelle Monae (Produced By Royal Flush)
    11. Fo Yo Sorrows Ft. George Clinton, Too Short And Sam Chris (Produced By Organized Noize)
    12. Night Night Ft. B.o.B. And Joi (Produced By DJ Speedy Co-Produced By Big Boi)
    13. Shine Blockas Ft. Gucci Mane (Produced By DJ Cutmaster Swiff Co-Produced By Big Boi)
    14. The Train Pt. 2 (Sir Lucious Left Foot Saves The Day) Ft. Sam Chris (Produced By Organized Noize)
    15. Back Up Plan (Produced By Organized Noize Co-Produced By Big Boi)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Skipping the tracks that leaked ages ago (I stopped checking after the first few), tracks like these make it worth the wait alone:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Junior said:
    for the most part the album steers clear of what is to my ears the cheesier end of this type of sound.

What type of sound are you referring to?

Just curious; I am waiting to hear the full album.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I checked it out on myspace, and I'm kinda disappointed. Nothing really hit me like the singles/leaked cuts. I'll give it another listen later, though.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I was already going to buy it on the strength of the singles, and many of the new clips were dope...so I pre-ordered the 2LP...can't wait to play it loud!

On some Reh Dogg sh*t, Ringtone ain't on the vinyl...boo.

Yellow Wolf's 2 verses are tight on that track above.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I had a listen to it this afternoon, and I think it's pretty good. I will probably be copping.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shutterbug absolutely MURDERS in the club. Biggest record out right now. Cross-pollenate with the "Scott Storch Comeback Thread" I guess.

B/W

Just copped it on blue vinyl.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Along with Janelle Monae's Tightrope, Shutterbug is my big "turn up the radio" tune right now.

• Cosmo said:
    Just copped it on blue vinyl.

Where can i buy this? Trying too wait until I have it in my hands. Agree on previous poster that myspace streaming the album would fuck up my first experience with it.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    Junior said:
    for the most part the album steers clear of what is to my ears the cheesier end of this type of sound.

What type of sound are you referring to?

Just curious; I am waiting to hear the full album.

I'm probably opening myself to ridicule here but, as big a fan of Outkast and the Dungeon Family as I am, it's seemed to me that in recent years Big Boi has kind of been caught between making straight rap songs and ones that, to my ears, lean too heavily on Sleepy Brown/Monae/etc style hooks with short verses thrown in. Since it's all been leaks the past few years I'll concede that it's more an impression I got from stuff like Idlewild and Got Purp Vol 2 than anything he's actually done recently.
    I'm all for that sound when used sparingly but it just felt like the overload of it was veering on the edge of pop for me and I was concerned that this album was going to end up like (an admittedly better produced) version of Adventures Of Bobby Ray. However, I should have known better, and on Sir Lucious he seems to have got the balance spot on.

Sure that a lot of people can point out all the flaws in the above if they want but just the feeling I'd got previously.

Have to say that I listened to this album a couple more times and, while reluctant to get too caught up on first impressions, I think it's really, really, good.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dudes, it's BIG BOI. It's gonna be awesome.

B/W

OutKast are GOATS no question. If they (Big Boi & Dre) decide to record a proper rap album, it would "save rap," plug the hole in the gulf and end the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan. Also thwart 2012 like you see in the movies with mountains moving through Los Angeles and seas on the street and whatnot. You know, that frightening CGI Cusack steez, nahms?