(TAKE IF OFF {off off off}) take that aeropostale off

p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
....and that hollister, too............

shit is so wack and i see those two brands alla time... shitty distressed bullshit with sewed on logos on ugly gear.... ugh........

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Aeropostale is HUGE with the popi population here. A popi is a rich and preppy person from Mexico. Their speech is very whiny.

*See also fresa:
    http://guanabee.com/2008/02/feature-fresas-chetos-pijos-an-exploration-of-rich-latin-youth. Down in the comments somebody mentions that we call them popis in AZ.

About a month or so ago they had a $10 off everything sale at their store in the mall here. I swear to you the line was over a hundred deep and 100% popis. It was nuts!

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Herm said:
    Aeropostale is HUGE with the popi population here. A popi is a rich and preppy person from Mexico. Their speech is very whiny.

def a lot of latins rock this shit in nyc, but more PR and dominicans... as well as a shit ton of white folks... oh, it is beastly... call me an old man, but if u are gonna shell out ducketts for whatever sportswear, at least cop some polo or some shit that looks decent...

have been feeling Penguin lately........

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hollister is Abercrombie & Fitch "younger/surfer/cheaper" line.

I have a pair of Hollister shorts I copped a good 7 years ago when the only Hollister shop was in some mall upstate/Westchester. I used to ba an A&F whore, back in the late 90's early 2000s.

Penguin's demographic is different from Hollister.

Hollister cost slightly more than cheap-ass Aeropostle and American Eagle which i consider "rip offs" for folks who cant afford A&F.

A&F = Ralph Lauren

Aero/AmEagle = Tommy Hilfiger

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i don't trust any of my aZns who wear that shit

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Aeropostle, fuck is the 1987?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cosmo said:

A good friend of my wife's is high up the food chain at Aero and I was amazed at their numbers... here I was thinking, man what is this 199-? And wifey was like, next time you go out look at how much Aero you see. They are balling.

American Eagle is not in the same league - their company from the top down is shit and their clothing is the lowest of quality. Compare to Old Navy. I'd compare Aero more to The Gap.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    What is that intense perfume smell that is coming out of their stores??? Especially Hollister. More importantly, WHY?
    I get a headache just walking by the store in the Eaton Centre and I'm not even one of those enivronmentally sensitive people.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cosmo said:
    American Eagle is not in the same league - their company from the top down is shit and their clothing is the lowest of quality. Compare to Old Navy. I'd compare Aero more to The Gap.

from wiki....

Competition
    A??ropostale's mainly competes with other young fashion companies, including American Eagle Outfitters, Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary retailer Hollister Co., and Old Navy. In 2008, A??ropostale generated $1.59 billion in net sales, while its demographic-specific competitors, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister reported sales of $3.7 billion, $3 billion and $3.1 billion respectively. Old Navy reported sales of $3.5 billon within the same time period. A??ropostale's younger brand, P.S. from A??ropostale, competes with brands such as A&F's younger subsidiary abercrombie.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    from wiki....

Competition
    A??ropostale's mainly competes with other young fashion companies, including American Eagle Outfitters, Abercrombie & Fitch and its subsidiary retailer Hollister Co., and Old Navy. In 2008, A??ropostale generated $1.59 billion in net sales, while its demographic-specific competitors, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister reported sales of $3.7 billion, $3 billion and $3.1 billion respectively. Old Navy reported sales of $3.5 billon within the same time period. A??ropostale's younger brand, P.S. from A??ropostale, competes with brands such as A&F's younger subsidiary abercrombie.

My head is spinning. Too many brands. Where does Pacific Sunwear, err, PacSun fit into this?

Read several months back that the CEO of Urban Outfitters is one of the highest paid in all the land, also that he is, unsurprisingly, considered overpaid compared to the CEO of Google who, for example, makes only six figures.

white_tea said:
    from wiki....

Competition

My head is spinning. Too many brands. Where does Pacific Sunwear, err, PacSun fit into this? .

Doesnt Pac Sun sell other stuff? Their shops have other brands.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cosmo said:

And wifey was like, next time you go out look at how much Aero you see. They are balling.

that's what i am saying... some days i feel like every 5th person in nyc is wearing Aero...... some ugly ass gear...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    That's why I still buy my Paco jeans at VIM's.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    That's why I still buy my Paco jeans at VIM's.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    bassie said:
    What is that intense perfume smell that is coming out of their stores??? Especially Hollister. More importantly, WHY?
    I get a headache just walking by the store in the Eaton Centre and I'm not even one of those enivronmentally sensitive people.

i don't even understand how they get it to smell so strongly. they must have that shit running through the vents, there has to be more to it than simply spraying some cologne bottle around the store. it puzzles the mind!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

^^^^SUSPICIOUSLY DEFENSIVE OVER AMERICAN EAGLE COMPARISON

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    My asian folks tell me that the Hollister schitt fits them better and is made for smaller people, while A&F is for those giant rednecks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I needed the song to go with the thread.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    gloom said:
    bassie said:

i don't even understand how they get it to smell so strongly. they must have that shit running through the vents, there has to be more to it than simply spraying some cologne bottle around the store. it puzzles the mind!

Depending on the location of the store, these places have there own heating & cooling systems. There are these little scented, gel strips that are placed directly on the other side of the vent, blowers, etc. That's all it is. That shit gives me a headache and makes me want to punch yuppies & their children. I've never been fashion friendly.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Breez said:
    gloom said:
    bassie said:

Depending on the location of the store, these places have there own heating & cooling systems. There are these little scented, gel strips that are placed directly on the other side of the vent, blowers, etc. That's all it is. That shit gives me a headache and makes me want to punch yuppies & their children. I've never been fashion friendly.

I work around the corner from the Soho store, and I stay crossing the street to avoid the smell wafting out of there. Shit is foul..

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    i don't shop at either but they would seem to be in the category of h&m and uniqlo in terms of price...so what's the problem?

when i was a kid clothing brands were a bigger deal and so - to me - the idea that you can be in style on the cheap is a great change. kids aren't walking around in shirts with huge tommy hilfigger logos anymore...or at least the ones in style are not.

keithvanhorn said:
    i don't shop at either but they would seem to be in the category of h&m and uniqlo in terms of price...so what's the problem?

when i was a kid clothing brands were a bigger deal and so - to me - the idea that you can be in style on the cheap is a great change. kids aren't walking around in shirts with huge tommy hilfigger logos anymore...or at least the ones in style are not.

Its the same steez just w/ sewn on letters

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    I dunno about that. In my experience, the quality of Aeropostale is much lower than say Uniqlo. Aeropostale stuff is like cardboard. Terrible.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Herm said:

*See also fresa:
    http://guanabee.com/2008/02/feature-fresas-chetos-pijos-an-exploration-of-rich-latin-youth. Down in the comments somebody mentions that we call them popis in AZ.

About a month or so ago they had a $10 off everything sale at their store in the mall here. I swear to you the line was over a hundred deep and 100% popis. It was nuts!

YES. the Aeropostale outlet at the border pops off with many rich Mexicans coming over for the day to stock up on ugly shirts and wide leg jeans. Nextels steady chirping. Pumas rocking.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Many of the Asians I know rock Aero. The brightly colored clothing seems more appropriate for the high school crowd, IMO.
    When I was in middle school and high school in the early 2000s, all the "cool" kids wore A&F and American Eagle. Basically, anything with a letter A embroidered on it would do the trick. I didn't see Hollister start to pop up until college, and as a Californian, my university was like 50% Asian. There were embroidered letter As on every other shirt for 4 years.
    I never shop at those places, unless you count the cotton underwear I bought at AE a few years ago. Surprisingly good quality. After being washed a million times, the color is still strong and not a thread is out of place.
    In a marketing class I took, the professor discussed how certain companies (such as the one that owns A&F and Hollister) use very specific methods such as dimmed lighting in the stores, strong fragrance, specific music and a unique layout to draw in a very specific crowd (ie the people who don't have perfume allergies), and keep out another crowed (ie the parents). This way, the kids go in and the parents decide they'd rather pick out towels at Sears, give their kids some cash and A&F sells another overpriced shirt with an embroidered letter A on it.
    So far, it seems to be working for them.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    H&M and Uniqlo are not plastered with horrible arts and crafts brand names.

I don't know A&F at all and Hollister seems to be just hoodies, Ts and tank tops with bad decals.
    I have a pair of cords and a plaid snap-button shirt from AmEagle. They are two of my favourite fall cozy wear.
    Old Navy is always one step over the line of looking kinda cheap. For women's stuff anyhow.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    bassie said:

Old Navy is always one step over the line of looking kinda cheap. For women's stuff anyhow.

oh, it's not just the women's clothes. Old Navy looks so bad, it even looks bad on the thrift store rack.

I'm all about some Marshalls or TJ Maxx most of the time, putting a little digging into it. Although the Macy's card always has a decent balance running on it, too.