favourite bowie track

floriankellerfloriankeller 62 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
right (luther vandross backing vocals, tony visconti production, carlos alomar giutar, david sanborn's annoying sax even don't mind)
and what's yours, folks?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Panic in Detroit

• SoulOnIce said:
    Panic in Detroit
    or Cracked Actor or Width of a Circle

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Fame or Modern Love

Probably Modern Love

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Always loved this one...

• young americans

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    probably station to station...and I really love his German version of heroes...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    No one favourite...

David Bowie coming on the scene is another music turn that I am sorry I missed.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    fashion production offices with their ipods stocked with bowie really sullied my love for the Thin White Duke for quite some time but he is truly amazing.

win
    lady stardust
    moonage daydream
    jean genie
    ...to name a few

i love that the sex pistols stole his pa system. their band still sucked ass but it's a funny story.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have some friends who worship him, but I can never seem to decide if he is incredibly gifted at music or marketing, maybe its a little of both. if i had to say one song it would be fame (today any how)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    toss up between Bewlay Brothers, Sufferjette City, or Width of a Circle...

• Running Gun Blues was always a favorite of mine. That whole Ziggy Stardust and Man Who Sold The World era was great listening.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    God it's impossible for me to name, shit changes all the time for me. Right now probably Shake It, or Can You Hear Me...

... but now that has changed already hahah!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    people that talk about him as some kind of fraud need to gtfoohwtbs.

people that try to ride for his electronica albums also need to gtfoohwtbs haha.

dude has at least 5 if not 7 or 8 unfukwitable full LP's. you can count the number of artists that have that many on your fingers, no toes needed.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

Golden Years and Fame for me

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    "HEROS"

No, wait,

"REBEL REBEL"

No, wait,

"BE MY WIFE"

No, wait...

• It's horrible that the only youtube I could find of this that was embeddable had David Bowie as Jareth the Goblin King from Labyrinth. Doesn't fit quite right for me, but still a great song:

Although this song from the movie still kills it for me. Go go fretless bass:

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think the fact that Life On Mars is horrendously overplayed on radio etc and yet still hits the spot to this day says a lot about how truly amazing it is. I could probably nominate anything on Ziggy for the prize but my actual personal favourite is probably his cover of Wild Is The Wind. I can't really give a strut approved answer to why this over blown coked out musical number does it for me but it just kills me.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    lately it's been Queen Bitch...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This week:

Five Years
    Kooks
    Ashes to Ashes
    Looking Back in Anger

• probably "shake it." maybe "fame." glad i don't have to choose for real. too much good stuff.

• heroes or ashes to ashes i think.

the video for ashes to ashes is really incredible as well.

there's also a youtube clip someone made of ashes to ashes played backwards, i actually find it suprisingly listenable

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Wow, reading this thread makes it impossible to decide. He has a song for any mood.

The last Bowie tune I really jammed out to on my headphones was the Cat People theme. Say what you want about Tarrantino, and I'll even grant that it was oddly placed, but he put the tune front and center in Inglorious Basterds and it gave a lot of exposure to a relatively obscure tune, probably to the dismay of some DJs who might have wanted it to stay a secret weapon.

Bowie has a special place in the exclusive group of artists to change and evolve and stay relevant for many decades in a row.

--Bowie
    --Neil Young
    --Miles Davis
    --Herbie

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Got to go with Sound and Vision and Heroes. Few songs I've heard as many times as these two still have the power to give me chills.

• Man Who Sold The World after much mental debate

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    white_tea said:
    s the Cat People theme. Say what you want about Tarrantino, and I'll even grant that it was oddly placed, but he put the tune front and center in Inglorious Basterds and it gave a lot of exposure to a relatively obscure tune, probably to the dismay of some DJs who might have wanted it to stay a secret weapon.

Ugh. That was the point where I was ready to walk out. Using soundtrack music from another movie in your movie is a pet peeve--unless you are making a reference to that movie. Weaksauce. And Morodor in a WWII era Nazi story? Music should be from the past or present. Like that damn Sofia Coppola powder wig shit with New Order.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Oh! You Pretty Things

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It's just too many faves to name one so I'll start with this:

IMO, Bowie never had a wack era. Every time he changed it up he was on some next level shit. Definitely one of the greats!!

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Hard to choose as he has so much good material but Five Years has been a favourite since I was in school and that was some time ago, so yeah Five Years is my choice.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    floriankeller said:
    right (luther vandross backing vocals, tony visconti production, carlos alomar giutar, david sanborn's annoying sax even don't mind)
    and what's yours, folks?

Many's the time people have raised an eyebrow when I tell them that I forgive pretty much all of David Sanborn's smooth-jazz-terd transgressions, solely because of his playing on this one song (although he's good on that Gil Evans Plays Hendrix album as well). My favourite track off my favourite Bowie album - there are literally dozens of other songs by him that I love, but this will always be number one.