Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• Horseleech said:
    novocaine132 said:
    1. chauffeur is explained in the book and the movie

Where was it explained in the book?

Chandler himself later admitted that he screwed up and neglected to resolve that part of the story line. I can't find the citation, but I believe I read it in the forward of a recent printing of The Big Sleep .

It was bought to Chandler's attention by Howard Hawks, who directed the first film version and wanted to know how to explain the chauffeur's death. Chandler repeatedly told him that it was in the book and Hawks said he couldn't figure it out. Chandler finally read the book and realized he never addressed it.

from Wikipedia:

"The murder of Owen Taylor, found in a Packard that has been pushed into the bay, is left unexplained. Chandler was shocked to find later that he did not know who the killer was."

somewhere between a known known and a known unknown...

it's really not a stretch,
    taylor was sweet on the dime,
    he meddled,
    he got the one-way ticket...

is it really so important to know the name of the guy who whacked him?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

My favorite movie. Ever. Like, ever, ever.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

novocaine132 said:
    Horseleech said:
    novocaine132 said:
    1. chauffeur is explained in the book and the movie

Where was it explained in the book?

Chandler himself later admitted that he screwed up and neglected to resolve that part of the story line. I can't find the citation, but I believe I read it in the forward of a recent printing of The Big Sleep .

It was bought to Chandler's attention by Howard Hawks, who directed the first film version and wanted to know how to explain the chauffeur's death. Chandler repeatedly told him that it was in the book and Hawks said he couldn't figure it out. Chandler finally read the book and realized he never addressed it.

from Wikipedia:

"The murder of Owen Taylor, found in a Packard that has been pushed into the bay, is left unexplained. Chandler was shocked to find later that he did not know who the killer was."

somewhere between a known known and a known unknown...

it's really not a stretch,
    taylor was sweet on the dime,
    he meddled,
    he got the one-way ticket...

is it really so important to know the name of the guy who whacked him?

It is completely unimportant. I don't believe Chandler cared or lost any sleep over it.
    But... Taylor was Geiger's lover.

• naw,
    geiger's lover was a dude named carol lundgren,
    he kept telling marlowe to go fuck himself,
    one of the funniest scenes in the novel...

• I read somehwere that Lou Reed credited Chandler as being the biggest influence on his song writing.

Personally, I walways thought Chandler was not just a great suspense writier, but one of the best American writers of the 20th century including Hemingway.

Personally, I [always] thought Chandler was not just a great suspense [writer], but one of the best American writers of the 20th century including Hemingway.

• double co-sign

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Been watching so many of these lately, I started a blog to post reviews and such...

http://thevhslibrary.blogspot.com/

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    that's a cool concept
    my parents gave me a top of the line VHS player the year DVD made its entrance on the scene
    it reads old tapes really well
    i have a bunch of triple feature tapes with shit like attack of the killer tomatoes on it
    tv dub 4 dayzzzzzzzz

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I'm a little ashamed to say I just saw Blazing Saddles for the first time last night.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

These two are excellent films in every aspect.

This one's just flat out entertaining.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    minneap said:
    I'm a little ashamed to say I just saw Blazing Saddles for the first time last night.

Wow. I'm going to have to ask you to go ahead and take a little time out from this thread until you watch up on your watch ups.

magnetic said:

This one's just flat out entertaining.

Here's some choice snapshots from the start of "Usurpers Of Emperors Power"
    This is just a very minuscule bit of insanity that this film has to offer.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    wow, i'll have to check that out. on the insanity level; how does it compare to a movie like "5 element ninjas"?

SIRUS said:
    wow, i'll have to check that out. on the insanity level; how does it compare to a movie like "5 element ninjas"?

I would say "5 element ninjas" has the better action while this has the more unbelievable crazy stuff.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I watched "Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia" for the first time a few nights ago despite being a Peckinpah/Oates fan, and it was great.

It definitely went in a different direction than I thought it would and got better and better as it went along.

That poor head got some real abuse.

:real_headz:

magnetic said:
    SIRUS said:

I would say "5 element ninjas" has the better action while this has the more unbelievable crazy stuff.

This isn't in any order of importance
    Just 20 Shaw Brothers films that i find to have a great amount
    of rewatch value for me.

Lady Hermit.
    Ambush.
    Killer Clans.
    Magic Blade.
    Kung Fu Instructor.
    Rendezvous With Death.
    The Master.
    Lady Assassin.
    Sword Stained with Royal Blood.
    Flag Of Iron.
    Killer Constable.
    Shaolin Intruders.
    Invincible Shaolin.
    Bells Of Death.
    Five Superfighters.
    Intimate Confessions Of A Chinese Courtesan.
    Chinese Boxer.
    King Boxer.
    Soul Of The Sword.
    Invincible Fist.

Everyone has subjective views as to what makes a good martial arts film for them.
    By placing greater importance on specific aspects such as engaging characters,good story-lines but,action being the primary thing that is a requirement when judging a film of this nature.

I don't really like comedy in Kung Fu films,even though in the case of The Master
    i found it bearable.And i don't require a ridiculous amount of action either just as long as
    it's captured and edited well i wont have any complaints.

Lau Ka Leung films don't really do it for me inspite of the incredibly well choreographed fights.
    The storylines and characters are tedious to watch.
    The only exception would be The first 36 Chambers which plays it straight and is well paced.

This isn't related but i prefer Sammo Hung films to Jackie Chan's stuff.
    Just to get a little idea of my mindset.
    Prodigal Son & The Victim > Drunken Master & Police Story.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts

these 3 and a slow burner are the tonight project

• ^^^ wasnt White Lighning the inspiration for the Dukes of Hazzard

saw it for the first time a few months ago, enjoyable

• One of the few Carpenter movies I hadn't seen. I was sleeping. What a great movie.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Don't know what I was expecting but this wasn't it. Brutally detached.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Risingson said:
    ^^^ wasnt White Lighning the inspiration for the Dukes of Hazzard

saw it for the first time a few months ago, enjoyable
    white lightning was a bit of a let-down
    also the fighters
    weak sauce indeed

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have been making a habit of watching 'pure' Italian films, as opposed to crime thrillers most of the time. I am currently watching the The Leopard and A Brief Vacation on my sick day off; both very good.. I saw The Domino Principle recently. I thought this was such a let down, considering the cast and Stanley Kramer directing. My grandmother shouted, "THEY SHOT MICKEY ROONEY?!?". Yes, unfortunately, they did. Later tonight, if I'm up to it, I will check out the Charles Bronson double feature of The Mechanic (a promo of sorts for the remake, which my dad and I want to see) and Hard Times at the New Beverly Theater.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'm getting obsessed with 70s filmmaker Floyd Mutrux. Apparently he launched his career w/ an uncredited co-screenwriter gig on TWO LANE BLACKTOP, and then unleashed these slabs on 70s strangeness on us:

druggie docu-drama downer many of you may know

starts off in an upbeat vein, if this movie didn't influence Dazed and Confused, I'll eat my shoe. Right before it gets really dark there's a fun montage of billboards advertising the likes of Let's Get It On, Time Fades Away, and Goat Head Stew. And then suddenly we're in highly nihilistic death of the teenage dream territory. "Bennie and the Jets" probably plays 10 times on the soundtrack.

And the wrote the story for this strange one...

This is an entertaining Sunday afternoon buddy-cop movie -- if you can get with the cops' over-the-top amoral behavior. We're talking about typical broad comedy scenes where the cops fight a thug in a kitchen as he throws knives at them, they respond w/ funny stuff like pouring a bucket of pasta sauce on his head -- and then, once they win the fight, shoot him dead and throw him on the grill. This strange tone suggests a midpoint between Altman's California Split and Herzog's Bad Lieutenant. Also worth noting that it was shot by Laslo Kovacs during his glory years, and it's a cornucopia of on-location San Francisco street photography.

So many great sequences in this film it needs to be seen.

Real tough guys tattoo butterflies on their chest.

:face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: :face_melt: The Black Tavern is a true classic.
    I wont begin to spoil anything in this for anyone but the final fight is on youtube for those interested.

Checked out Shaolin Martial Arts, Tarantino lifts from it the idea of the inch punch,and the pupil not being able to use
    his chopsticks because his fingers are too damaged.The master corrects him when he attempts to use his fingers to eat the rice just like the scene with the Bride and Pai Mei in Kill Bill 2.

And i also watched A Taste Of Cold Steel where again Tarantino borrows from the scene in which a one eyed, eye patch wearing Ku Feng loses the sight in his one good eye and commences to trash the place around him looking for his adversary.

Funny how these aren't mentioned in the list of film references for Kill Bill vol 2 on imdb,i cant be the first to see the obvious.

Next up for me will be Heads For Sale,i'm now starting to think that these swordplay fantasy films are > than the standard Kung Fu films.