Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Here is a quote from "The Hard-Boiled Detective Novel" (reprinted 1974) (CONTEMPORA: March 1970) by George Grella. Which I stole from here, http://gadetection.pbworks.com/w/page/7930447/Detective-Fiction.

"It (the American thriller) generally is more preoccupied with the character of its hero, the society he investigates, and the adventures he encounters, than with the central mystery, which gets pushed aside by individual scenes and situations. The detective of the hard-boiled novel generally solves his mystery in a hurried, disordered fashion in the last few pages of his book, with little effort to clear up all points or tie up all loose threads," because "the progress of the quest is more interesting than its completion" -- something that "further distinguishes the hard-boiled thriller from the formal detective novel." (p. 115)

Kind of the point I was trying to make.
    I can also see your side and think it is legit.
    I wish I had read some Chandler more recently. There was a time I reread them all every few years. Hammett too.
    Which brings this; in the Maltese Falcon Spade essentially says it's not important who did it, just as long as they can pin it on someone. "Your taking the fall."

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    magnetic said:

God I love this film and all the early Gordon/Yuzna collaborations.

Funnily enough, despite my love of horror movies I'm not a big horror novel fan but did pick up a Lovecraft collection recently on a whim and read the original stories. Love the way Gordon expanded on the original ideas.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

The first somewhat coherent film i've seen from Fulci
    The setting was picturesque i loved the hillside location.
    It almost seemed like it wasn't a Fulci film until those two gory sequences happened.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

Italian Star Wars rip off + Richard Keil + Morricone score where they seem to have given him three different briefs and put them all in the credits music = My mind opened to a whole new world. Highly recommended.

• LaserWolf said:
    they were about an LA that was growing as fast as it was decaying. They were about fists the size and color of an eggplant and carpeting that tickled the ankles and a wallets trying to crawl under a duck.

enjoying your description.
    read big sleep this month, then watched it, both for first time

1. chauffeur is explained in the book and the movie

2. the movie creates a way more sexualized environment than the book

3. [incredulous]have we really not mentioned the seven minutes of madness sample yet?[/incredulous]

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

ronald reagan as a baws
    great movie
    can't wait to see the 1946 version

This was a good Giallo i need to see The Psychic now.
    Early Fulci>>>Later Fulci.

Aubrey Morris is thee man.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    The Psychic: No real gore to speak of except the first scene; even that is mild and somewhat unintentionally funny. I like this Fulci over the ultra-gore stuff, which becomes uncomfortable, tiresome filler. Jennifer O'Neil signed my OG VHS of this...

I still need to see Flower In His Mouth

Electrode said:
    The Psychic: No real gore to speak of except the first scene; even that is mild and somewhat unintentionally funny. I like this Fulci over the ultra-gore stuff, which becomes uncomfortable, tiresome filler. Jennifer O'Neil signed my OG VHS of this...

I still need to see Flower In His Mouth

I have a newfound respect for him after watching DTAD & LIAWS
    It seems like the production values were higher when he first started out as well as having better acting talent at his disposal.
    Even the dubbing seemed of a higher standard than the 80's stuff.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I just watched Dog Day Afternoon last week for the first time in 20 years. I was blown away. The whole story, the gay lover, screaming Attica, etc. were amazing. Plus all the actors in the movie looked like real people. This movie could never done today because they'd put a bunch of pretty people in it, and blow the whole mood.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Save the Tiger and Charley Varrick are both tremendous.

• Just watched All The President's Men starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman. I give it two thumbs up.

It's nice to see a movie not catered to dumb people. They just showed the movie which was a bit hard to keep track of, but didn't dumb it down or keep reminding people what happened. They just showed it, and if you didn't get it, tough break.

• Options
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    Just watched All The President's Men starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman. I give it two thumbs up.

It's nice to see a movie not catered to dumb people. They just showed the movie which was a bit hard to keep track of, but didn't dumb it down or keep reminding people what happened. They just showed it, and if you didn't get it, tough break.

Have you seen "Three Days of the Condor"? It's from that same period for Redford and it's one of my longtime favorites. And it has Cliff Robertson, one of the underrated greats.

• BobDesperado said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    Just watched All The President's Men starring Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman. I give it two thumbs up.

Have you seen "Three Days of the Condor"? It's from that same period for Redford and it's one of my longtime favorites. And it has Cliff Robertson, one of the underrated greats.

Hell yeah. A great movie. I'm also a huge fan of the movie Snearkers for some reason., An alltime favorite.

I watched Condor the same week as Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman, Cool Hand Luke, Chinatown, Midnight Cowboy, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and Rosemary's Baby. I enjoyed all of them. I've been finding i like pretty much all mid to later 70's movies lately.

• Options
    FunkyFlatulent said:
    BobDesperado said:
    FunkyFlatulent said:

Hell yeah. A great movie. I'm also a huge fan of the movie Snearkers for some reason., An alltime favorite.

I watched Condor the same week as Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman, Cool Hand Luke, Chinatown, Midnight Cowboy, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, and Rosemary's Baby. I enjoyed all of them. I've been finding i like pretty much all mid to later 70's movies lately.

Good choice. More and more I'm starting to think the 70s were the highwater mark for American art of all sorts.

• BobDesperado said:

you should check out The Parallax View aswell, in the same vain as Condor.....another 70s gem

• Risingson said:
    BobDesperado said:

you should check out The Parallax View aswell, in the same vain as Condor.....another 70s gem

^ I was gonna mention the Parallax view as well. It's a good movie but out of everything i've been watching this one is a bit off the mark. It's a little boring and messy compared to the others. I'm still a little unsure as to where i'd put it, but i don' t think it's quite up there with the other very good 70's movies.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• HarveyCanal said:

love this movie, what an ending....

• novocaine132 said:
    1. chauffeur is explained in the book and the movie

Where was it explained in the book?

Chandler himself later admitted that he screwed up and neglected to resolve that part of the story line. I can't find the citation, but I believe I read it in the forward of a recent printing of The Big Sleep .

It was bought to Chandler's attention by Howard Hawks, who directed the first film version and wanted to know how to explain the chauffeur's death. Chandler repeatedly told him that it was in the book and Hawks said he couldn't figure it out. Chandler finally read the book and realized he never addressed it.

from Wikipedia:

"The murder of Owen Taylor, found in a Packard that has been pushed into the bay, is left unexplained. Chandler was shocked to find later that he did not know who the killer was."

What a coincidence...I just saw EGiB for the first time last week and am currently reading "The Big Sleep"

The motorcycle chase scene is brutal!

• street_muzik said:

The Conversation, not that Babs shit.

though that Babs shit ("whats up doc?") does contain some of the funniest scenes in film (Madeline Kahn, Sorrel Booke, etc), and one of the funniest/craziest car chases in film too, its in SF and is sorta like the "Bullett" chase but with all kinds of funny gags. recommended despite the corny babs-ness. hell even shes pretty funny too in it as i recall. guilty pleasure i suppose, but it always made me laugh.

Looks like someone was watching TCM last night! I missed Black Christmas and have never seen it before, either.

Electrode said:
    Looks like someone was watching TCM last night! I missed Black Christmas and have never seen it before, either.

I actually got it off the net,i don't get TCM in my cable package in Jamaica.
    I thought it was good,the killer stalking POV shots may have originated with this film,i'm not 100% sure though.

I really enjoyed The Unseen as well,i thought i was getting a certain type of film and it turned out totally different.
    I don't want to get too specific, the least you know about it going in the more pleasantly surprised you'll be.