Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    yeah but then there is that minor detail of the mob gunning down the local magistrate in cold blood for the crime of being posh and condescending that somewhat dented my sympathy for their anti paedophilia crusade. Hoffman wasn't saying the pedo didn't deserve punishment, he was just refusing to become a savage himself.

• :shit_yeah:

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    About 2 yrs ago I watched The Education of Sonny Carson for the first time. I've had the ost forever and never caught the movie. I grabbed the DVD off ebay for like $5. If anyone hasn't seen it, check it out. A very slept on classic, plus you'll hear all the vocal snippets from Ghostface's Iron Man LP.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    all the sampled parts, were the best parts of the movie imo. the first 10 min are good, but everything after that is ehhh. except of course for the speech in the park; "that sucka think he good, that sucka think he can whoop me and I know he can't whoop me, I... Ay boy, the nigga whole style is chump."
    Beatducer

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie one of the best horror films made in the 70's

I had this movie on a budget dvd pack 9 movies on 3 discs just got around to watching it
    I liked some of the ideas presented but as a whole i think it would do well with a updated remake.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Watched this one the other day...

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I watched The Godfather for the first time through last week. Godfather II on deck (I've been told not to go for III).

Obviously, it's been ripped off and referenced so many times that I always knew what was coming, and none of it was very shocking...but hey: The Godfather- this is a good movie LOLOLOL two thumbs up!

Yeah. Godfather. Weird. I thought I'd seen it, but I guess I hadn't.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Over a decade old should qualify IMO.

Ebola Syndrome: This may be one of the most depraved films ever made which i've seen, but since its presented in a such a comedic way it's hard to take that seriously.

Hong Kong Godfather: Epic final fight that's all i can say.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It was on TV the other night.
    I know he's a goofball, but Phoenix is SO HOT.

And the cutie from Big Love who plays his first wife was a much better actor in this than Witherspoon imo.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

Holds up after all these years.

• Assualt on Precint 13
    Kid with the Golden Arms
    Schock (M.Bava)
    Dreamscape

^ do you mean "The Man with the Golden Arms" or "The Kid with the Golden Arm"?

I watched the first one (old Sinatra flick) a year or so ago and it was very good.

• ketan said:

I watched the first one (old Sinatra flick) a year or so ago and it was very good.

i was talmbout the Shaw Bros jawn....

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there was a horror movie thread a while back and I seem to remember a lot of praise for this:

so I recently watched it. to those whom I recall riding for this movie: were you fucking serious? so boring.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

^ Saw this back in the early 80s*, but just rewatched and surprised by how good it still is.

^ This is considered Veronica Lake's and Preston Sturges' best film. Not very good, but enjoyable if you are an O Brother Where Art Thou fan or to watch Veronica Lake.

Also been watching Julia Child's old tv shows. Recommended.

* Sorry off topic, just wanted to say.

rootlesscosmo said:
    there was a horror movie thread a while back and I seem to remember a lot of praise for this:

so I recently watched it. to those whom I recall riding for this movie: were you fucking serious? so boring.

very fucking serious

I am not halfway interested in convincing anyone whether this movie is good or bad.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    ketan said:

Holds up after all these years.

what's einstein really like? DEAD.

DustedDon said:

how is that? i saw "duel at the supreme gate" recently and it was pretty good.

• DustedDon said:
    ketan said:

Shaw Brothers always seemed to make good films. Even when they ventured into the wuxia-type stuff and Inframan, it was still entertaining. Crippled Avengers is easily one of my favorites.

• willie_fugal said:
    just saw Hoosiers for the first time last week, and maaaaaann...

seriously one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    :hated_it:

^^^^^

Smokes the drugs.
    (top 3 sports movies evar related)

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bassie said:

And the cutie from Big Love who plays his first wife was a much better actor in this than Witherspoon imo.

I hold that film entirely responsible for my lady's infatuation with Phoenix. Since first watching that film she'll sit through anything with him in. So Intense. He is great in it though.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Not that these are particularly old, but until last weekend I hadn't seen:

The Breakfast Club

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Loaded Weapon 1

• i watched Empire Records the other night. Liv Tyler and Ren??e Zellweger compete to shag a david essex-alike crooner in an ill fated record shop. soul strut essential viewing.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    i watched Empire Records the other night. Liv Tyler and Ren??e Zellweger compete to shag a david essex-alike crooner in an ill fated record shop. soul strut essential viewing.

my girls favorite film hands down. the GWAR scene is amazing.

On Mel Gibson, watched this for the first time the other night...

1. There's a scene as Mel and his band of malcontents are taking over the ship where Mel has a spastic freak out of anger that slips into insane incoherence.

2. Mel's Tahitian wife in the film is beyond perfect...yowza!

Junior said:
    bassie said:

I hold that film entirely responsible for my lady's infatuation with Phoenix. Since first watching that film she'll sit through anything with him in. So Intense. He is great in it though.

She should check his back catalogue - man's been raging hot for a minute now.

Carnal Knowledge is a great movie.