Old movies you've only seen recently...

1131415161719»

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 2,230 Posts
    Just saw Animal Kingdom (2010).  RIYL: Red Riding, Top of the Lake.  I generally liked it and it had a satisfying conclusion.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 2,600 Posts
    "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford": Not "old" but I heard/read reviewers talk about this in the same breath as "Unforgiven", "Tombstone", etc. Downbeat and a little long but worth the watch.

"Judgement At Nuremberg": I saw this once as a teenager but I didnt appreciate it until seeing it with my dad a couple of weekends ago. Montgomery Clift's part as the mentally challenged man who was sentenced to castration was one of the movie's best performances.

"Belle De Jour": Dreamlike and I liked Catherine Deneuve's wardrobe.

"The Effect Of Gamma Rays On Man-In-The-Moon Marigolds": I admit I just wanted to check this out based on the title alone. 

"Night And The City": Richard Widmark's character is a slime, but I sympathize with his desire to just want to make something of his life.

"Harold And Maude": Both darkly humorous and uplifting. What I needed.

"Dead Alive": I can't get with campy horror comedy usually but I had to see it just for the excessive bloodletting

"The Fly" ('86 remake): another Cronenberg crossed off my list. Damn, that fingernail scene...

"How The West Was Won": watching this on a 48" flatscreen was the best I could do for this one.

"Heavy Metal": Finally saw this after all these years hearing rave "it changed my life" reviews from people. So I rented it a few days before attending the 40th anniversary opening night art gallery show in my area where many of the namesake magazine's OG artists were in attendence. Wicked stuff.

• Just been watching a load of Ingmar Bergman jernts like I was a refined stemware-owning chin stroker and not a scuzz bag. They've been doing one a week on my Mubi subscription and I never bothered with them before.

Summer With Monika - was OK, pretty modern feeling for the year it was made ('53) but shows little of the hardcore philosophically challenging questions asked in later stuff.

Seventh Seal - again OK but didn't blow me away considering how heavily this is ridden for in film snob circles. The "game of chess with death" concept that is the first thing people say about this movie seems like the least important thing.

Wild Strawberries - Here I was getting more on board with this stuff. This one is a road and memory trip... completely missed the fact that two significant female characters (one from the flashbacks and one from the current day storyline) were both played by the same actress.

Through a Glass Darkly - Was intense and dope. A woman descends into mental illness in the face of an absent (or silent) deity. Absolutely deserves the Oscar it won, especially when you consider the dreck that was getting made in 1961 and how it stands up now.

Persona - The only film of his I'd seen before, in film school. This was a stupid one to start us on in school, but building up to it with his earlier stuff this time made it a lot more watchable. Still not as affecting to me as Through a Glass Darkly, it reminds me a little too much of Lynchian dream-illogic stuff that is open for interpretation but to me never actually rewards interpretation. Makes sense that it was a big influence on Lynch but he took the things I liked least about it and made a career with them. The filmmaking metaphors feel unnecessary. The most compelling stuff is the character work in between the formal experimentation.

Cries and Whispers - A super hard and brutal watch. There are scenes in this where you feel like you shouldn't be seeing this onscreen. Animalistic depictions of dying in pain, surrounded by psychologically destroyed, cold and unfeeling relatives. Not something you'd watch for fun but really unforgettable.

Still gotta watch Fanny and Alexander.

• ppadilhappadilha 1,834 Posts
    Just been watching a load of Ingmar Bergman jernts like I was a refined stemware-owning chin stroker and not a scuzz bag. They've been doing one a week on my Mubi subscription and I never bothered with them before.

I ride for Hour of the Wolf, it starts off slow but by the end it's kinda

• A lot of them seem to go that way - Fanny and Alexander definitely being one. Watched it last night. Looong opening introducing you to this massive family in this unbelievable lavish house, and it's only hours 2 and 3 where it focuses down to the titular characters and how they're affected by all these people we saw cavorting through the first hour. But I think it's only because you got used to the family in that first hour that the rest of the story has the effect it does. Really strong, big questions, no answers, as usual. A lot of thematic echoes with Cries and Whispers too (the dead revisiting the living, family dynamics that are maybe less than loving, house servants bringing life to otherwise cold homes).

I guess I gotta check Hour of the Wolf... next up on my subscription (and final one I think) is After the Rehearsal, which sounds a bit like a "minor" Bergman.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    Believe it or not, I finally watched "Scarface."  Granted I've seen bits and pieces of it and would always catch parts of it when it was on TNT or TBS back in the day, but it wasn't till the other day that I finally sat down and watched it all the way through.