Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Finally got around to seeing American Psycho. Pretty dope movie. Bale is great--I knew going in that he had modeled his performance on Tom Cruise, and you can definitely see that influence.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    JectWon said:

Don't forget the beautifully awful classic...

Bringing ridiculous to a whole new level...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Love the Hitchcock discussion

I got lucky a month back. The theater by my place was doing a Hitchcock thing for a few weeks at $6.00 a flick. Even though I've seen some of these a few times. Really enjoy catching Hitchcock films in the theater.

Watched North by Northwest, Rear Window, Vertigo, Notorious and Strangers on a Train.

This was done awhile back. But still pretty great.

Rear Window Timelapse from Jeff Desom on Vimeo.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    DOR said:

Promising!

• piedpiper said:
    DOR said:

Promising!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I love Rope, and just saw Lifeboat for the first time this weekend. Really liked it. I can't really even try to rank Hitchcock movies, but I actually rate The Birds and Psycho way below the Jimmy Stewart/Cary Grant films.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Hype aside, I think Rope is fantastic. The single-shot aspect is neat, but I more love its tense-tight atmosphere and simple yet theatrical aesthetic. It, Rear Window and The Birds are my top three. Not very imaginative, I know, but I can watch all three repeatedly...and have!!

No one has mentioned, Marnie, probably because it's not that great, but it does make for a more interesting viewing since Hitchcock's obsession with Hedren came out a while ago.

• white_tea said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Finally peeped Rosemary's Baby last night. Not scary, but entertaining.

^^^ Obvs doesn't have kids

Seriously though, the ending of that film is truly the most frightening of all - the motherly instinct to want to nurture the spawn of the devil? I picked up the Criterion Collection on Blu-ray of the movie last year, upgrading my VHS.

as usual, the european movie poster slays.

• white_tea said:

I finally saw Badlands last weekend, after previously seeing all of Malick's other films (aside from his latest). It really helped inform his later films and interesting to see how much of Badlands you see in films by other people - the part in Wes Anderson's Moonlight Kingdom with the two kids dancing seems like homage in retrospect, to name one example.

i really enjoy days of heaven as well, i think that era mallick is more 'artistic' than most of the newer glossy stuff. also, it's kind of slow moving, but visually i think "heaven" might be his best. i'm pretty sure the obvious homage to ''badlands" is true romance. i mean, they even got ol zimmer to ape the gassenhauer piece for the soundtrack. also, it's kind of slow moving, but visually i think "heaven" might be his best.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts

I had never seen Bicycle Thieves until last night. Whooooooaa. A really effective take on the hopelessness of poverty. Made me think of later films on the same topic, like all the epic Indian tragedies of the 50s and a gang of Mike Leigh movies... but whereas others have used more melodrama to leave an impression, Bicycle Thieves was really simple and elegant. Not over-rated!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I watched Angels With Dirty Faces the other night and enjoyed it. Not 5 star materials but a fun watch. Put Little Ceasar and Public Enemy at the top of the queue.

I tried watching Sid and Nancy and got so bored I finally turned it off. I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a classic, and I rate Repo Man in my top 5 movies ever list, so I was pretty disappointed.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    So... I have Killer Joe sitting at home waiting to be watched. I've heard a lot of people referrencing "That Scene".

And even though I dont' know what happens in That Scene, I have heard that it has to do with chicken or something.

I'm intrigued. Will my wife hate it? Is it any good? If I like Hobo With A Shotgun and Texas Chainsaw Massacre will I like Killer Joe?

I guess i just have to watch it. But I would like to hear some spoiler-free reviews if you guys got them.

Gary said:
    So... I have Killer Joe sitting at home waiting to be watched. I've heard a lot of people referrencing "That Scene".

And even though I dont' know what happens in That Scene, I have heard that it has to do with chicken or something.

I'm intrigued. Will my wife hate it? Is it any good? If I like Hobo With A Shotgun and Texas Chainsaw Massacre will I like Killer Joe?

I guess i just have to watch it. But I would like to hear some spoiler-free reviews if you guys got them.

It's good for what it is. It's about what happens when a bunch of dumb mutherfu-kers and their strong women meet a sly fox. It's the pulpiest of fiction. It's a feel bad movie.

The worst thing I can say is that it's not "wildly entertaining", so you sort of have to be into feel bad movies.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Gary said:
    I watched Angels With Dirty Faces the other night and enjoyed it. Not 5 star materials but a fun watch. Put Little Ceasar and Public Enemy at the top of the queue.

I tried watching Sid and Nancy and got so bored I finally turned it off. I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a classic, and I rate Repo Man in my top 5 movies ever list, so I was pretty disappointed.

Sid and Nancy is not that good. Traded my Blockbuster copy of Sid and Nancy for Trains, Planes and Automobiles back in the day and never regretted it.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    volumen said:
    Gary said:

Sid and Nancy is not that good. Traded my Blockbuster copy of Sid and Nancy for Trains, Planes and Automobiles back in the day and never regretted it.

HA!!!!! That's awesome!

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts

this rules!

my favorite movie is True Romance, and I love when I discover clear influences on that movie.
    this one has it from the start.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gary said:

I tried watching Sid and Nancy and got so bored I finally turned it off. I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a classic.

You were supposed to watch that when you were in high school.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Gary said:

I tried watching Sid and Nancy and got so bored I finally turned it off. I thought it was supposed to be a bit of a classic.

I had a hard time understanding the dialog. Not so much because of the accents, but because of all of the mumbling. I've gotten used to watching TV with close captioning on, because I usually watch when the kids are asleep and don't like turning it up too loud. I've gotten so used to being able to read what people are saying. This DVD didn't have subtitles, so I couldn't understand half of what was going on.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Gary said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Gary said:

I had a hard time understanding the dialog. Not so much because of the accents, but because of all of the mumbling. I've gotten used to watching TV with close captioning on, because I usually watch when the kids are asleep and don't like turning it up too loud. I've gotten so used to being able to read what people are saying. This DVD didn't have subtitles, so I couldn't understand half of what was going on.

Drugs, punk rock, stardom, drugs, exploitation, love, drugs, problems, murder, drugs, death, the end.

On the topic of movies you were supposed to see in high school, I saw Harold and Maude a little while back for the first time.

:ehhx2:

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    On the topic of movies you were supposed to see in high school, I saw Harold and Maude a little while back for the first time.

Yea, when your 15 in the1982 US Midwest that movie seems edgy. Now not so much.

I've been on an old movie kick the last year, might have posted these already.

Blast of Silence - Good old Noir

Yellow Sky - Weird old Gregory Peck cowboy movie.

Nightmare City - Hugo Stiglitz! So bad it's good Italian horror.

Blood in the Face - Old Neo-Nazi doc, one of Michael Moore's first works. I guess he was the only one with the guts to interview the Nazi's and inadvertently takes over the documentary even though it wasn't his movie.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

this movie happened to be on TV one time when I was a kid and it was the first time I made the connection that a couple lying in bed smoking a cigarette = they just had sex. For years I only knew it as the movie that horrified me at a young age, but I watched it again not too long ago and really enjoyed it.

watched True Grit the other night, the Coens version. Kinda meh.

volumen said:
    Blast of Silence - Good old Noir

Hell yeah.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    BallzDeep said:

this rules!

Yep - it does!!

ketan said:
    Gary said:

It's good for what it is. It's about what happens when a bunch of dumb mutherfu-kers and their strong women meet a sly fox. It's the pulpiest of fiction. It's a feel bad movie.

The worst thing I can say is that it's not "wildly entertaining", so you sort of have to be into feel bad movies.

Yea, I agree with this. There's a lot of over-the-top shit but nothing really happens. Kinda like Showgirls.
    How much your wife may or may not like it depends on her sense of humour and tolerance threshold for (sexual) violence.
    If you watched True Detective, you might be interested in watching McConaughey play somewhat the same guy with slightly different nuances to make him a totally different type of guy.

(I find McConaughey really difficult to remember how to spell. Yeesh.)

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Well I just watched killer Joe and I loved it. Very entertaining and a lot of it was laugh out loud funny. So many great lines. Destined to be a cult classic.

^ Without spoilers, what is your review of "the scene"?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Judging from that other poast, it's time to revisit Robocop.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    ketan said:
    ^ Without spoilers, what is your review of "the scene"?
    . I was afraid somebody would ask. I actually thought it was pretty funny, mostly because of Matthew's acting and the ridiculousness of it all. Plus the scene that followed was even funnier because of it. Of course at the same time I'm sort of uncomfortable with finding that funny in the first place- which might be the point.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    That's what I admire most about Gina Gershon. She's always game or brave enough to take on the crazy. With another movie with "Joe" in the title being released, it reminds me that I should check out that Peter Boyle one from 1970 since I have owned the soundtrack for sometime but never bothered. Anyhow, recently, I have seen "In Harm's Way", "Logan's Run" and "Jacob's Ladder" (dance floor scene with James Brown's "My Thing"...shit).

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Logan's run ranks high for a lot of people but I just couldn't get into it.