Old movies you've only seen recently...

Comments

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    If you like horror, check out Suspiria. Goblin does the soundtrack and Dario Argento directs it. A bit dated but shit, with hardly any SFX, it's better than most of the crap coming out these days.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    youngEINSTEIN said:

just saw dumb and dumber and loved it. seems like you can quote almost every line.

peace, stein. . .

"Pretty bird, pretty bird"

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    The Strangers is good too. Great soundtrack and the director is incredibly talented.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

I also just downloaded Boss Nigger in observance of just viewing Django Unchained.
    William Smith as the Baddie it looks like it's gonna be entertaining.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Finally saw Alphaville. This is one of my favorite parts:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Fritzcarraldo

Not as great as I was hoping.

I think that film gets a little too much hype and ends up disappointing.

check out The Burden of Dreams, the doc about the making of the film - Criterion put it out, so it's easy to find. It's a much better movie and makes you appreciate Fitzcarraldo a lot more.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

God, posters used to be so much better.

• SIRUS said:
    HarveyCanal said:

God, posters used to be so much better.

you won't catch me telling you you're wrong about that.....

but someone at Laika entertainment deserves an award for these.....

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I was wondering where this thread went. Anyway, I agree about the posters. Paramount is my favorite studio and they had everything on lock during their Gulf-Western & Bob Evans heyday: posters, advertising, star roster and book rights. The poster for "The Last Picture Show" has that same rustic theme.

Ones I've seen for the first time recently: The Hit, The Battle Of Algiers, The Fury, Straight Time, Gaslight, Repeat Performance, The Racket, Ninja Checkmate / Chess Boxing and Dressed To Kill.

Jspr said:
    Electrode said:
    Straight Time
    And the scene where Hoffman pulls Emmett Walsh's pants down in public is priceless.

That was satisfying, EW being the personification of impersonal, red tape douchebaggery, getting his. It's included in the long list of movies from the 70's which used the 210/118 Paxton offramp for a brief scene (Cannonball, Up In Smoke, Omega Man, Corvette Summer, Killing Of A Chinese Bookie, etc.).

ppadilha said:
    LaserWolf said:
    Fritzcarraldo

Not as great as I was hoping.

I think that film gets a little too much hype and ends up disappointing.

check out The Burden of Dreams, the doc about the making of the film - Criterion put it out, so it's easy to find. It's a much better movie and makes you appreciate Fitzcarraldo a lot more.

I like Fitzcarraldo's quasi-sister movie a bit better (Aguirre Wrath of God). Also, Herzog's remake of Nosferatu is pretty strange and definitely worth checking out (despite its imperfections). It also stars Klaus Kinski in the title role.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Saw Aguirre Wrath of God back in the 80s when it was new.
    Thought it was very scary and creepy.
    Saw some other Kinski and Herzog's back then too.

Aguirre and Nosferatu are really good. Cobra Verde is another Herzog-Kinski film, it has some amazing moments but overall it's a little limp kinda like Fitzcarraldo. I'm at the point with Herzog where I can enjoy just about anything he makes, even Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans. At the very least you won't be bored with his films.

having said that, his work with Bruno S. is even more amazing than the films he made with Klaus Kinski. I highly recommend The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser and Stroszek. Another one from that period that is kind of amazing is Heart of Glass, which has probably the best Popol Vuh soundtrack of the bunch.

there's also a doc short called The Great Ecstasy of the Woodcarver Steiner that is AMAZING.

b/w

watched this last night

• Come Drink With Me (Shaw Bros. 1966)
    Return To the 36 Chamber (loose comedic sequel to the original 36th Chambers)
    VERTIGO (Hitchcock)
    The Hole (nice little Joe Dante horror)

in the awesome news dept: Repo Man to be released by Criterion in april

http://www.criterion.com/films/28051-repo-man

Alligator (1980) starring Robert Forster & Henry Silva.
    Between the self referential mentions of Robert Forster's male pattern baldness in the dialogue,and the Big game hunter
    character Henry Silva plays in this scene in particular that i posted below,elevated this from a good B-Movie to a certified classic in my eyes.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Between the self referential mentions of Robert Forster's male pattern baldness in the dialogue,and the Big game hunter
    character Henry Silva plays in this scene in particular that i posted below,elevated this from a good B-Movie to a certified classic in my eyes.
    [/IMG]

I adore this movie, a great example of a film being elevated by it's writing. To be clever is one thing but to also give the film heart is the real trick. The city scenes when the alligator breaks out are just the icing on the cake and another argument for why the modern b-movies CGI just can't compete.

Been watching a fair few recently including:

An oddly chilling monster movie which shouldn't really be as effective as it is. The focus on the personal torment of the main character gives it a sadness that the hairy make-up wouldn't suggest.

Not a fan of Leigh or pre-asshole Baldwin so wasn't expecting a lot from this but actually turned out to be the right balance of evil and quirk. Wouldn't go all out and recommend it to anyone but surprised it's not a film I'd heard about previously. Also, weirdest Fred Ward performance of his career. Which is saying something.

Um, what a strange film. Sort of fails on every level.

Junior said:

I remember seeing this when I was a kid, and the only thing that sticks in my mind is when he cuts off his own hand and singes the cut on the fire. I didn't even know the name of this movie until now. I watched Westworld around the same time (they used to show some weird shit on brazilian daytime tv) and it took me several years to learn Yul Brynner was actually a serious actor.

been trying to watch some classic films on Netflix lately, yet I always find myself clicking on Ancient Aliens instead. Anyone else have this problem?

[/IMG]

I adore this movie, a great example of a film being elevated by it's writing. To be clever is one thing but to also give the film heart is the real trick. The city scenes when the alligator breaks out are just the icing on the cake and another argument for why the modern b-movies CGI just can't compete.

That can be accredited to John Sayles screenplay
    He also did the screenplay for a movie i love starring Dolph Lundgren "Men Of War"
    i think the dialog is so witty in it but no one i've shown it seems to share my enthusiasm.

Some of it worked while some didn't but whose to know how anyone would react in this scenario.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Junior said:

I remember seeing this when I was a kid, and the only thing that sticks in my mind is when he cuts off his own hand and singes the cut on the fire. I didn't even know the name of this movie until now. I watched Westworld around the same time (they used to show some weird shit on brazilian daytime tv) and it took me several years to learn Yul Brynner was actually a serious actor.

Ha yeah I have to concede that I didn't see that coming in the build up. It's just a strange film what with it being directed by Robert Clouse and starring a fifty something Yul Brynner. I think it would all have made much more sense with the original planned star Gordon Liu but even then I don't think it ticked my the Post-apocalyptic criteria that I normally go for.

magnetic said:

That can be accredited to John Sayles screenplay
    He also did the screenplay for a movie i love starring Dolph Lundgren "Men Of War"
    i think the dialog is so witty in it but no one i've shown it seems to share my enthusiasm.

I love the early Sayles screenplays - they have all the requisite trash elements but are written with a real attention to dialogue and character. You never get the feeling that he's slumming it - the scenario is part of the charm. Haven't seen that Lundgren movie though, will check it out.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've been streaming Miami Vice on Netflix over the past few weeks. It's great. I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid. Aired too late and was too violent.

I'm surprised at how watchable it is. It looks great. Crockett and Tubbs are good guys, too. I thought they'd be pricks, but they're all about saving the community and doing the right thing and no fucking socks ever. Love it. Castillo is hardasfuk, the Noogman and Izzy are fantastic informants, and the opening scenes are always rad. The music always works.

Loving it! I'm sure it'll go downhill later, but right now I'm around ep.20 and it's still banging.

The Odessa File (plods along...I dozed off a few times), Cinderella Liberty (a couple of nice funk tracks), The Offence (best Connery performance I have seen so far), The Fury (my dude JC...kaboom! haha.) and Two Champions of Shaolin (the theater was going to show Five Deadly Venoms, but the print didn't show up in time)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I've been streaming Miami Vice on Netflix over the past few weeks. It's great. I wasn't allowed to watch it as a kid. Aired too late and was too violent.

I'm surprised at how watchable it is. It looks great. Crockett and Tubbs are good guys, too. I thought they'd be pricks, but they're all about saving the community and doing the right thing and no fucking socks ever. Love it. Castillo is hardasfuk, the Noogman and Izzy are fantastic informants, and the opening scenes are always rad. The music always works.

Loving it! I'm sure it'll go downhill later, but right now I'm around ep.20 and it's still banging.

Been re-watching lately and to me, there is a clear drop off in quality from Season1 to Season2.

Gus Van Sant can be good even when he's being a sellout. Didn't know Joaquin Phoenix was in this, he's pretty good.

something involving zombie bikers, withcraft, and some toads.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    this was brilliant.

:face_melt:

(Kinji Fukasaku's "Street Mobster")

This is one of the few Yakuza-themed movies I haven't seen yet. Gotta love the halcyon years of the violent crime saga, the early 70s; the rubber-faced swagger of Bunta Sugawara and KF's fixation with Dutch angles.

And now for something completely different...Leonard Maltin giving this his pinnacle four star rating and the (most recent) remake winning some awards prompted me to see this.