Great Rhythm & Blues Oldies (Blues Spectrum)

pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Just discovered these comps from the 70s. Johnny & Shuggie Otis play on them, doing 'new' versions of R&B classics with the original artists. Some cases I much prefer the originals, but some times they are REALLY good, with funkier drums.I got only a few volumes (Louis Jordan, Roy Milton, Amos Milburn, Eddie Vinson). Anyone else dig these? Which should I grab up first?-pj

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If you can find it, get the one in the picture by Richard Berry. That one seems to turn up the LEAST, in my experience, but it is out there.

Also, Johnny Otis had three albums in this series (why not, it was his damn label), and they're all consistently good. Some selections on the three Otis elpees are leftovers from his Kent years (the Cold Shot! album, Snatch & the Poontangs), but it is all highly listenable.

What I like about the series is how little the music has dated...any other producer would have tried to "update" the old hits with "fonky" 1970's arrangements, but the sound is actually quite spare for the time. This was at a time when the old West Coast jump-blues sound was all but forgotten (the Chicago shuffle thing was getting all the attention), and this stuff wasn't reissued as often as it would be later. So it was good for Johnny Otis to do this project. Hell, Amos Milburn was sick as a dog when he recorded his album in the series - and he sounds it - but it is still good in spite of that.

Related: Roots Of Rock by Roy Milton on Kent (later reissued on United), which I think was supposed to be the forerunner to this series, but only lasted for an album.

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts
    If you can find it, get the one in the picture by Richard Berry. That one seems to turn up the LEAST, in my experience, but it is out there.

Also, Johnny Otis had three albums in this series (why not, it was his damn label), and they're all consistently good. Some selections on the three Otis elpees are leftovers from his Kent years (the Cold Shot! album, Snatch & the Poontangs), but it is all highly listenable.

What I like about the series is how little the music has dated...any other producer would have tried to "update" the old hits with "fonky" 1970's arrangements, but the sound is actually quite spare for the time. This was at a time when the old West Coast jump-blues sound was all but forgotten (the Chicago shuffle thing was getting all the attention), and this stuff wasn't reissued as often as it would be later. So it was good for Johnny Otis to do this project. Hell, Amos Milburn was sick as a dog when he recorded his album in the series - and he sounds it - but it is still good in spite of that.

Related: Roots Of Rock by Roy Milton on Kent (later reissued on United), which I think was supposed to be the forerunner to this series, but only lasted for an album.

Thanks for the info....I'll check for the Richard Berry & that Roots of Rock too.

I agree about the sound. Putting it in context, its amazing it was done like this. Also a bit of a shame, cause if it was done about 10 years later when swing was all the craze, they probably would have made a lot more money.

Definitely some shit going on tho....

I would buy these even if they were unknown headlining artists, just based on the Shuggie/Johnny Otis connection.

-pj

The first few GRBO albums were done around '74...and then the second set was released in '77. You're right, had Otis done this ten years later, he would have cleaned up. And he would have REALLY made progress had he done this during the big 1990's swing/jump revival, except that by then, most of these acts were dead or dying, unfortunately.

However, one label did reissue (some of) these recordings during the short-lived Shuggie Otis revival (when Luaka Bop rereleased Inspiration Information).

Since Shuggie was playing on ALL of these songs, some enterprising label comped a few songs from each LP and called it a SHUGGIE OTIS album, as if these blues superstars were dropping in on HIS session...I forget the label and title, though, but it had a cover similar to the Luaka Bop joint.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    These can often be found for cheap.

Like Pick says, most of these guys were forgotten at the time. Rock and roll revival was centered around Chuck Berry and Little Richard and R&B revival was all about Atlantic artists like Ray Charles and Ruth Brown.

Most of the LA R&B artist on these comps had their big hits in the late 40s early 50s, and the revival fashion of the day was for mid-late 50s stars.

For blues guitar fans Shuggie really shines on these.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yes, a great series of LPs hidden in kinda corny looking covers. Worthwhile if you find them cheap for sure.

Yes, a great series of LPs hidden in kinda corny looking covers. Worthwhile if you find them cheap for sure.

These albums NEVER go for over $5. You won't go broke collecting the entire series.

Like Pick says, most of these guys were forgotten at the time. Rock and roll revival was centered around Chuck Berry and Little Richard and R&B revival was all about Atlantic artists like Ray Charles and Ruth Brown.

Most of the LA R&B artist on these comps had their big hits in the late 40s early 50s, and the revival fashion of the day was for mid-late 50s stars.

The closest thing to a 1950's rock & roll/R&B star in this series is Richard Berry (he was definitely the youngest). And even then, his fame never really spread past the West Coast, even though he wrote "Louie Louie."