For all you you stupid Mac computer people

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
This speaks volumes.http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86816-------------------How to pick up and carry your iMac G5[/b]Don't know how to pick up and carry your iMac G5? It's easy.Before moving your computer, make sure all cables and cords are disconnected.Pick up the iMac G5 by grasping both sides of the computer. Carry it to wherever you wish. ------------------Try to find something like that on a Dell or Microsoft website.

Comments

• and now, just because of this, your PC is of course much better, faster and easier to use? of course! and it never crashes, because you don't carry it around... haha. you're just another poor frustrated wintel-user tryin' to find something against apple! miserable... and what's that to do with this forum? go and look for a iaintgotthecashtobuymacnowimlookingforanexcuse-forum!

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    and now, just because of this, your PC is of course much better, faster and easier to use? of course! and it never crashes, because you don't carry it around... haha. you're just another poor frustrated wintel-user tryin' to find something against apple! miserable... and what's that to do with this forum? go and look for a iaintgotthecashtobuymacnowimlookingforanexcuse-forum!

No need to get all upset, it was just a joke given how people on here go back and forth about the macs and pcs. I actually threw in the lil winky smiley face but the board isn't displaying them right right now... ; )

• montymonty 420 Posts

By Mary Bellis

In 1980, IBM first approached Bill Gates and Microsoft, to discuss the state of home computers and Microsoft products. Gates gave IBM a few ideas on what would make a great home computer, among them to have Basic written into the ROM chip. Microsoft had already produced several versions of Basic for different computer systems beginning with the Altair, so Gates was more than happy to write a version for IBM.

As for an operating system (OS) for the new computers, since Microsoft had never written an operating system before, Gates had suggested that IBM investigate an OS called CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers), written by Gary Kildall of Digital Research. Kindall had his Ph.D. in computers and had written the most successful operating system of the time, selling over 600,000 copies of CP/M, his OS set the standard at that time.

IBM tried to contact Kildall for a meeting, executives met with Mrs. Kildall who refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement. IBM soon returned to Bill Gates and gave Microsoft the contract to write the new operating system, one that would eventually wipe Kildall's CP/M out of common use.

The "Microsoft Disk Operating System" or MS-DOS was based on QDOS, the "Quick and Dirty Operating System" written by Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products, for their prototype Intel 8086 based computer.

QDOS was based on Gary Kildall's CP/M, Paterson had bought a CP/M manual and used it as the basis to write his operating system in six weeks, QDOS was different enough from CP/M to be considered legal.

Microsoft bought the rights to QDOS for $50,000, keeping the IBM deal a secret from Seattle Computer Products.

Gates then talked IBM into letting Microsoft retain the rights, to market MS DOS separate from the IBM PC project, Gates proceeded to make a fortune from the licensing of MS-DOS.

In 1981, Tim Paterson quit Seattle Computer Products and found employment at Microsoft.

• and now, just because of this, your PC is of course much better, faster and easier to use? of course! and it never crashes, because you don't carry it around... haha. you're just another poor frustrated wintel-user tryin' to find something against apple! miserable... and what's that to do with this forum? go and look for a iaintgotthecashtobuymacnowimlookingforanexcuse-forum!

No need to get all upset, it was just a joke given how people on here go back and forth about the macs and pcs. I actually threw in the lil winky smiley face but the board isn't displaying them right right now... ; )

ok, didn't see the smiley, sorry! peace...

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Your PC computer is cool because it was so cheapo to buy

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    No need to get all upset, it was just a joke given how people on here go back and forth about the macs and pcs.

Hopefully this will quiet down a bit in the future, with OSX available for Intel processor based PCs, revealing the wonders of OSX to former Windoze users. But I'm still a Mac Daddy

• edubedub 715 Posts

Hopefully this will quiet down a bit in the future, with OSX available for Intel processor based PCs, revealing the wonders of OSX to former Windoze users.

AFAIK, OSX will never directly be made available to run on Windows based computers. Apple will shift to Intel processors, this is true, but they will probably not be the same, excpet for the processors.

If someone makes a hack to run windows on an Intel Mac, I hope (but doubt) that it'll run better than Windows runs on Virtual PC on the Mac.... s-l-o-w.

If Windows users want to run OSX, just get a Mac already!.. that's what the Mac Mini is for

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    If Windows users want to run OSX, just get a Mac already!.. that's what the Mac Mini is for

AMEN!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Hopefully this will quiet down a bit in the future, with OSX available for Intel processor based PCs, revealing the wonders of OSX to former Windoze users.

AFAIK, OSX will never directly be made available to run on Windows based computers. Apple will shift to Intel processors, this is true, but they will probably not be the same, excpet for the processors.

If someone makes a hack to run windows on an Intel Mac, I hope (but doubt) that it'll run better than Windows runs on Virtual PC on the Mac.... s-l-o-w.

*cough*

Here

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    That was an interesting article.

Just as long as I don't have to switch to a one-button mouse.

That was an interesting article.

Just as long as I don't have to switch to a one-button mouse.

Will be interesting to see how far they get with this... Thinking about dlin' it and givin' it a go and see how it is.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    yeah, good luck finding the kernel extensions (drivers) for all your PC hardware.

From what I can tell, this is 'just' the OS running.

I'm not sayin I won't try to install it on one of my old windoze boxes, but I'm not jumping up and down about this yet.

It will take a long time before you can run a PC with OSX on it, indishtinguishable from an Apple computer, and it will always require a hack, and will never be supported by Apple.

yeah, good luck finding the kernel extensions (drivers) for all your PC hardware.

From what I can tell, this is 'just' the OS running.

I'm not sayin I won't try to install it on one of my old windoze boxes, but I'm not jumping up and down about this yet.

It will take a long time before you can run a PC with OSX on it, indishtinguishable from an Apple computer, and it will always require a hack, and will never be supported by Apple.

Yeah, no doubt... I think you can browse and email.. But drivers will be a bitch. And right now try runnin' on an old box.. It ain't happenin' But still interesting all the same.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this is a crack of the developer's kit......therefore os upgrades from 10.4.2 to 10.4.3 and so on will not be available to the crack.

new mac minis just came out w/ built in bluetooth and airport card + 512mb ram........perfect solution if you're interested in taking the plunge.