my left hand --disconnected!

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I destroyed my wrist last Thursday. Statistics caught up with me on a bicycle. When you're as extreme as I am, as often as I am, you cannot expect to go through life without a couple injuries.Some things:Microsoft voice recognition software for windows salmon I said seven is pretty good.The use of two hands is greatly preferable to only one hand.Hearing "well at least it's not your right hand" is getting old, and I still have 10 weeks to go (really--I told you it is pretty bad).Constant dull pain is better than constipation--I've discontinued the per cassettes LOL "the percocets."I have figured out how to use empty egg cartons as aids in cutting tomatoes in the kitchen, anyone else have any tips or tricks on getting through life with one hand?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You can start by mailing me the rest of those Percocets. That's a good start.

• my niece broke her right elbow on friday, has surgery on saturday. now she has a from her hand to her shoulder. with things like writing/drawing, playing, doing puzzles, etc. she picked up with her left hand like nothing happened, but when we get to the dinner table it gets a bit complicated. still trying to work it out. don't have any advice as i'm just a few days into it with her and am about 20 past a broken wrist/my experience of one-handed life. good luck!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There goes half your sex life.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Don't shirk the rehab. I broke a tiny bone in my wrist when I was a messenger and it took a while to get back to normal. I still can't do Spock fingers with that hand but it's not a huge loss.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I spent a day with the mangled wrist in a sling, waiting for surgery. These pills dropped my pain from a 8 or 9 to a 7 or 8: I just sat there listening to the throb of my wrist (ayo?). I didn't poop until Sunday, and didn't poop For Real until putting the pills away for a day...I was taking two every four hours or so, and while it was deading the pain, I was also drooling and fully zonked out. I cannot fathom enjoying that.

I will absolutely trade you some of these things for records.

I am on CL now, desperately seeking real stranger...

srsly tho bro that joke's hackmode after 36 hours, too...someone sent me colbert show "wristSTRONG" vid, that was good.

• "Microsoft voice recognition software for windows salmon I said seven is pretty good."

Hilarious.

a tiny bone

scaphoid?

apparently this thing is some bullshit when it comes to healing...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I am on CL now, desperately seeking real stranger...

srsly tho bro that joke's hackmode after 36 hours, too...someone sent me colbert show "wristSTRONG" vid, that was good.

I just always remember it from Gary Shandling's show...where he says it about himself after catching his hand in a closing door.

"Microsoft voice recognition software for windows salmon I said seven is pretty good."

Hilarious.

Seriously do, I have to talk like a lawyer to make it understand me. But it is way faster than typing in a hunt and peck style, which is making me nauseous. I cannot get it to cuss, but I think I can teach it. I am using it in wordpad, with the corny headset microphone and my good hand on the mouse.

Yes, that is quite a vision: some 88 I said 88 I said ED it I said ED it Jesus fork in Christ idiot actually posting to Seoul strut via voice commands.

I am probably more intelligible to some now? oof

I just always remember it from Gary Shandling's show...where he says it about himself after catching his hand in a closing door.

I take it back then: his shows were both (all?) classiques. My apologies.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

• please please please only post with this software from now on. Amazing.

please please please only post with this software from now on. Amazing.

Yeah whenever did your own it's like obscene over here with a totally FA cup wrist try to post on some record collector website exchange and percocets for holy grails clear setback laugh and like it's some kind of funny joke to you whenever man shall Regan that's silly

Actually you know what that is pretty funky good

I talked to souls Trinity ways when I read posts, coming within all of knowing no one ever did so maybe it's not too different

• Jesus fork in Christ

amazing!

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    a tiny bone

scaphoid?

apparently this thing is some bullshit when it comes to healing...

That's the one, I basically cracked it in half. Fortunately I didn't need surgery because the halves remained aligned, but the shit took forever.

Percodans/percosets etc don't work on me, so I didn't even get that benefit.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    I'm betting this will bring forth endless new 'strut lingo

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    I'm betting this will bring forth endless new Seoul[/b] Strut lingo

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I destroyed my wrist last Thursday. Statistics caught up with me on a bicycle. When you're as extreme as I am, as often as I am, you cannot expect to go through life without a couple injuries.

Them's the breaks? :sorry:

Touch wood nothing serious from bikes other than a fractured sternum/tightened sphincter . This is because I can only dream of being extreme. Ankles I've bust doe, so freal, please make sure you give it the full rehab rather than macho-ing a rock garden on a rigid SS two weeks from now. Otherwise you will never get 100% function back.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've fractured bones in my right wrist twice while playing football and would cosine all recommendations of doing all recommended strengthening exercises after you get the plaster off and continue doing them into the future. Being young and reckless I ignored all the advice and my wrist has never been the same since.

Um, feel free to mentally insert etc in the above where ever you feel it best fits.

• please please please only post with this software from now on. Amazing.

Yeah whenever did your own it's like obscene over here with a totally FA cup wrist try to post on some record collector website exchange and percocets for holy grails clear setback laugh and like it's some kind of funny joke to you whenever man shall Regan that's silly

Aw, sorry duke, I wasn't tryin to clown you. I just really enjoy reading the sentences where you are yelling at the v.r. software to choose the right word.
    I wish you a speedy and relatively painless recovery.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I destroyed my wrist last Thursday. Statistics caught up with me on a bicycle. When you're as extreme as I am, as often as I am, you cannot expect to go through life without a couple injuries.

Some things:

Microsoft voice recognition software for windows salmon I said seven is pretty good.

The use of two hands is greatly preferable to only one hand.

Hearing "well at least it's not your right hand" is getting old, and I still have 10 weeks to go (really--I told you it is pretty bad).

Constant dull pain is better than constipation--I've discontinued the per cassettes LOL "the percocets."

I have figured out how to use empty egg cartons as aids in cutting tomatoes in the kitchen, anyone else have any tips or tricks on getting through life with one hand?

Been there more than once (yes, my right hand) and cutting food is the toughest one. You end up buying food/ordering meals that you can eat one handed and choosing bottles that don't have screw tops. Doing up zippers is also a challenge. On the plus side I got a lot of sympathy from some nice girls. Better get your one-handed bra-release game up to speed.

thanks all, and feel free to continue waging clon warz at any level. it's like MASH, where I gotta laugh to keep from crying... it's going well, and I've resigned myself to thinking of backpacking this summer instead of bikes...I'll manage.

• chaschas 45 Posts
    Here's a quarterpipeslipnfall from about 7 years ago. Domo arigato.

Def do whatever rehab they prescribe. My wrist still doesn't rotate right, but it took a lot of stretching to regain range of motion once this shit came out.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Wow that looks fucking medieval.

Friend of mine broke his neck (!) and had one of those frankenstein style with screws in his forehead and neck

whoa. I'll shut up now.

Ran into this problem over the weekend, hanging out with friends at a party: they'd all had way crazier injuries, and it became difficult to illicit any sympathy from them..."I had both my hands in casts at the samr time bro," "they had to induce a coma man"...

That looks absolutely impossible. Wow.

bloggin!

today they cut this thing off:

so stoked to be able to wash my arm...I have to roll with this thing as a cast for the next four weeks, but it's removable and I can clean it (and my skin):

cast was tight in my pins, this thing allows for a little less pressure.

Dr C Everett DB Kooper and I did make an interstate prescription-drug-for-record swap, by the way...Interstate 90 end-to-ender. Awesome. He got my boner pills and I got this Boots Randolph. Thanks!

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Hang in there. I broke my ankle in three places skateboarding. I had major surgery. A few weeks in it seemed like I would never be better, but three months later I was kickfliping with my injured leg. Just be sure to stay on the physical therapy.