nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central

Comments

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    But what about 'yore'?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Thank you.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    This one doesn't bother me as much. My native language is English and I make the mistake from time to time as well. I give even more leeway to non-english native people.

But then, I should shut my mouth... Sometimes I go a lil crazy with the use of "good" instead of "well" IRL.

I never say anything tho. I'd feel like a jerk.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I remember breaking up with my grade 9 girlfriend after seeing many heinous spelling mistakes in her letters to me. oof.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Now we need ones for there/they're/their, too/to, and its/it's.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    seems like a common mistake by people poasting from their iphone twitterberry or whatever

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Now we need ones for there/they're/their, too/to, and its/it's.

its/it's would be good. post!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    stay in you're lane

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't understand how this is hard.

If there's an apostrophe, it bridges two words: you're - you are; it's - it is; they're - they are. It works exactly the same way as can't and don't. Otherwise, no apostrophe.

I found out the other day that there's an apostrophe in "shan't", though, so you do learn something new every day.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Then there's also the concept of "the greengrocer's apostrophe", thus named for the handwritten signs you see in English greengrocers which read "Apple's 40p for a 1lb" or "Bag's of potato's 2 for the price of 1".

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm learning to become less of a stickler with this. Primarily 'cause I've caught myself making the mistake while posting too quickly from my phone. It's too difficult and time-consuming to delete and repost so I've been letting myself slide.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I don't understand how this is hard.

If there's an apostrophe, it bridges two words: you're - you are; it's - it is; they're - they are. It works exactly the same way as can't and don't. Otherwise, no apostrophe.

exactly.

If in doubt folks, look for the apostrophe.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Then there's also the concept of "the greengrocer's apostrophe", thus named for the handwritten signs you see in English greengrocers which read "Apple's 40p for a 1lb" or "Bag's of potato's 2 for the price of 1".

Anyways, NZ is obviously a grammar Nazi

Whoops, Godwin complete

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Missing a couple of full stop's there, Skel.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    what about 'Yorn' ?
    Example: This rekkid iz minez, datz yorn!!

• I remember breaking up with my grade 9 girlfriend after seeing many heinous spelling mistakes in her letters to me. oof.

At grade 9 there's hope that they'll catch on and improve. But by grad school and they're still making the same mistakes?! That's just .com.

• err... to and too is a little confusing.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    err... to and too is a little confusing.

No it's not.

Too = also or as well.

• ..lose and loose..

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    ..lose and loose..

Lose - to not win
    Loose - not tight but...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    English is a difficult illogical chore. At least I learned it as a child, around the same time I was at the age to start reading and too young to question the random rules and just absorb it all (well, almost all).
    I tutor adult literacy and it is both frustrating and, in a way, embarrassing trying to inject some sense, pattern and logic to a language that also has could, night, mad/made, your/you're, they're/there/their, etc. to a grown person who recognizes chaos.

..lose and loose..

Lose - to not win
    Loose - not tight but...

And not homonyms.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Boing
    Going
    Doing

Should all sound the same right?

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Boing
    Going
    Doing

Should all sound the same right?

LMAO!! Hell Yea

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I found out the other day that there's an apostrophe in "shan't", though, so you do learn something new every day.

And an accent mark on Shant?.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    err... to and too is a little confusing.

No it's not.

Too = also or as well.

And also...

too = overly

As in when Luther sings, "Never too much, never too much, never too much..."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Wash Yo' Ass

correct use of an apostrophe!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Wash Yo' Ass

LOL! Naw, you wash yorn!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    It's native English speakers that frustrate me- I can't imagine how confusing the rules are for non-native speakers.