good blaxploitation films

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
i think i'm going to go on a netflix blaxploitation rampage. haven't seen many. what are some that are worth watching? they don't have to be classics, just worth my time.

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    hell up in harlem is sick

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Across 110th St

The Mack

And if you want to laugh:

Soul Vengeance

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Foxy Brown, Superfly, Truck Turner

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Superfly, The Mack... There aren't that many that are actually good movies and most are better described as a sort of kitsch. I just watched Darktown Strutters and it was pretty remarkable in terms of how bad and offensive it was, and I say that as someone who prides themselves on having seen the most fucked up movies ever made.

Although it's more a legitimate black movie as opposed to "blaxploitation," whatever that means anyway, Detroit 9000 is a great movie.

• besides the Mack, Coffy is fucking rad.
    Also, not really blaxploitation, but Putney Swope is great.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

• spcspc 534 Posts
    "The spook that sat by the door" is dope!

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    truck turner

• "The spook that sat by the door" is dope!

Top of the Heap, Together Brothers, Blacula, Cotton comes to Harlem.

As for outrageous stuff: Black Shampoo, The Human Tornado.

I would like to see: change of mind .

• cosine on Coffy.
    Let's Do it Again is really funny, definitely worth watching.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    They're all pretty ridiculous. Sweet Sweetback is pretty good, but mostly because of historic signifigance and how schizo Van Peebles is. It's pretty creepy and makes all the ones after look more goofy than they are. That said, it's not the most entertaining movie either.

I don't know...I never got the whole obsession w/ these movies. I don't like any of the OSTs either except for a few.

• Voms72Voms72 18 Posts
    besides the Mack, Coffy is fucking rad.

Yes Putney Swope is an excellent film strangely enough directed by Robert Downey Snr, what the fuck went wrong in that household.

go Black Ceasar!!

• besides the Mack, Coffy is fucking rad.

Yes Putney Swope is an excellent film strangely enough directed by Robert Downey Snr, what the fuck went RIGHT in that household.

go Black Ceasar!!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Velvet Smooth

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i kinda liked Shaft in Africa.
    and i really liked Sweet Sweetback's Bad Asssssss Song.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Post-Blax Shit. DONT SLEEP. And check the Men In Black motif.

• Soul Vengeance

Is that the one where homeboy has a bionic bowang that will like choke a muthafucka out?

I have yet to see this but peeps I know who saw it said you have to watch it. One of the most rediculous films ever. I wonder if that have that jont on netflix.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i think i'm going to go on a netflix blaxploitation rampage. haven't seen many. what are some that are worth watching? they don't have to be classics, just worth my time.

If you can find it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

If you can find it.

More commonly available as the less abrasively-titled "Street Fight" starring Scatman Corothers and Phillip Michael Thomas in the live-action roles.
    As glad as I am that Batmon digs this, I found it to be pretty tiresome.

• MassiveMassive 194 Posts