good acoustic guitar songs to learn how to play

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
what do yall recommend learning?i'm no flamenco magician or yngwie malmsteen but i'm having fun learning a couple classics for the guitar. my repertoire is small, so i gotta add on some thingsi got:beatles:blackbird,rocky racoon,im so tiredzepp:over the hills and far away, hey hey what can i dolauryn hill- sweetest thingand a neutral milk hotel song i likeid like to learn van morrison sweetest thing and eugene mcD- welfare cityi like joints that people will be able to sing along with (so they probably are familiar with the lyrics) things that are fun to play and of course, joints that make the panties dropany strutters play some songs pon la chitarra??(ha the "p" on pon was a typo, but its kind of funny, so there it is)

Comments

• "welfare city" chords:

A B E7 (2 times)

A G (1 time)

then back to the top... and don;t forget to "smoke a joint"

bill withers fits the bill perfectly

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    oh shit. billlll withers!! perfect

thanks for the chords!!!! awesome!

• t: start here for bill withers and if there are any particular tunes you can't find by BW and want to learn just give me a holler...

http://www.911tabs.com/tabs/b/bill_withers/

nice.i might as well delete the thread...this will keep me busy for a bit!

howd you know "welfare city" off the top of your head?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    here's a couple i tabbed out on my old blog.

Stevie - golden lady

http://demonfuzz.blogspot.com/2007/11/14-stevie-wonder-golden-lady.html

C, S & N - Guinevere

http://demonfuzz.blogspot.com/2007/11/4-song-analysis-crosby-stills-nash.html
    http://demonfuzz.blogspot.com/2007/11/9-song-analysis-crosby-stills-nash.html

I'm not sure if those are accurate anymore to how I play now, but they were good enough back then.

- spidey

• i learned it before---its not super hard chord-wise (it's a very basic but neat folk tune with funny lyrics) but i did learn it from his songbook "the gospel blues and poetry" of eugene mcdaniels.

what other eugene mcdaniels tunes do you want to learn? i am actaully looking for a transcription for "headless heroes"....any of you dudes work that track out (its not in the book)?

so on welfare city...
    playing A and B barchords, hitting the 6th string then strumming up and a touch back down on each chord. where you playing e7 tho? open chord?

just relistened to the song and the gutar kinda fades to the back when the bass and drums come on. probably why i like the song so much haha

couldve swore you just posted about oasis waterwall...and then it disapeared

• man, i think i gave it to you kind of wrong
    let me double check with the book..

edit: yeah, those chords should be right. i just scanned this from a chord dictionary i have (which is majorly useful to get yourself if you are just starting). try some of the different shapes and see what feels comfortable and sounds good...

• i posted woderwall but figured i would get a huge clowning. it is indeed the mother of all sing along, getting laid by easily imprerssed chick tune..

http://www.911tabs.com/link/?5980323

wonderwall is a good song, i remember that from the campfire thread i started a while back. gonna have to learn that. em7 is tough to jump into...gonna have to train my muscle memory :P

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I always seem to play Neil Youngs "Old man" and Beatles "A day in the life" when I pick up a guitar.

This is a favourite too. Took me a while to learn, though. There's a tab if you go to the youtube page.

Not to get all musicology on you, but damn, Zappa. Damn damn.

• t**y, here is another neat tune you can pick up quickly:

Sugar Man by Rodriguez

Am E Dm7 Dm C D7 F Bb
    0 0 1 1 0 2 1 1
    1 0 1 3 1 1 1 3
    2 1 2 2 0 2 2 3
    2 2 0 0 2 0 3 3
    0 2 x x 3 x 3 1
    x 0 x x x x 1 x

Intro: Am E|Dm7 E|E|

V1:
    Am E Dm7 E Am
    Sugar Man won't you hurry, cos I'm tired of these scenes

Am E Dm7 E Am
    For a blue coin won't you bring back all those colours to my dreams

C Am D7 F C Am F Bb E
    Silver magick ships you carry - jumpers, coke, sweet 'mary jane'

V2:
    Am E Dm7 E Am
    Sugar Man, met a false friend on a lonely dusty road

Am E Dm7 E Am
    Lost my heart, when I found it it had turned to dead black coal

C Am D7 F C Am F Bb E
    Silver magick ships you carry - jumpers, coke, sweet 'mary jane'

v3:
    Am E Dm7 E Am
    Sugar Man you're the answer that makes my questions disappear

Am E Dm7 E Am Dm7 E Am
    Sugar Man, cos I'm weary of those double games I hear

Am E Dm7 E Am Am E Dm7 E Am
    Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man, Sugar Man

nice nice nice

yo fish, you find the right eugene mcD chords?

ive been playing wonderwall
    i like sofa and sugarman too

• hey, those welfare city chords should be right but i don;t think i made it too clear before so:

"welfare city" chords:

A B E7 A (2 times)

A G A (1 time)

the whole tune revolves around that "a" chord which i think sounds best played open. play the B" as a bar chord on first fret and the for the e7 just use the first shape i sent.

this is probably super boring for folks, hit me up on the pm if you have music questions and i';l do my best. i also collect songbooks so feel free to ask for more suggestions...