Matt Cassell Reissue - PROOF!!!

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
It's for real!Rumor has it - it's Scheduled for a May 18th release date.GO COP!!!

Comments

• sweet. about time his music got some wider exposure.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Looking forward to this...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    who is doing the reissue?

• who is doing the reissue?
    Stones Throw. Read more about it here.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Sweet!

• About time! This will be the best reish this year I reckon.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I'll buy this as soon as I possibly can.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Will it include those 2 recent tracks (forgetting the names) that came out in the past couple years on a 12"? I actually really like those a lot too.

b/w

I'll buy this as soon as I possibly can.

• Finally.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Don't think I ever posted this here, but Matt sent me a nice little 'thank you' package following a phone conversation him and I had. (He asked Woimsah for my contact info.) Dude was cool as heck and the nicest guy ever! Definitely the best music-related phone conversation I've ever had.

Who'da thought a 50 cent gamble would lead to this?? It's beautiful how it all turned out...

• What's the story here, Herm? Were you involved in the re-release?

Dress

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    What's the story here, Herm? Were you involved in the re-release?

Dress

Herm's pretty much the starting point for this whole thing. He's the one who bought the first Cassell LP at a flea market for $0.50 and was kind enough to share with a few people...it all sorta stems from there.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    What's the story here, Herm? Were you involved in the re-release?

Dress

http://magazine.jamsbio.com/2008/09/16/crate-digging-gold-matthew-larkin-cassell/

But, unfortunately, I was sort of screwed when it came to acquiring info on the artist. My buddy had gotten the track from a collector in Arizona who, if legend serves correct, had found it in a Goodwill store.[/b] The title of the song, presumably, was the only thing we knew for certain. It couldn?t really be deemed any particular genre ? we couldn?t even begin to guess what ethnicity this guy could be. I had to ask and ask my friend to try and find out whatever info he could, even if it was just a last name. After a few weeks of constant nagging, a small portion of the mystery had been solved ? MLC = Matthew Larkin Cassell.

^^Me

I titled the mp3 MLC-InMyLife on some ol' secret squirrel sh*t, then sent it to BSides88 via Soulseek. He loved it, sent it to Woimsah who in turn asked BSides88 for more info. BSides came back and I gave up the name. Then Woimsah put in crazy work to bring this whole thing to light.

Yerp.

And therefore, Matthew Larkin Cassell: The Complete Works = a product of soulstrut.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    So Bay Area dudes were sleepin' on this record prior to someone out of state re-discovering it?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    So Bay Area dudes were sleepin' on this record prior to someone out of state re-discovering it?

I don't think that's exactly true.

• Options
    Great story. I'll be checking for this when it's out.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I don't think that's exactly true.
    You'd think Josh n'nem woulda been up on it.

• Umm, don't Forget stepfather and the Mexico city connection aside from and prior to that.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Sounds like a mix between Kenny Rankin and late 70s Roy Ayers, which I guess is not a bad thing. lemme move out of the way though, before i see stones being thrown my way...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's a fantastic story either way, and not the first time that the Strut as an entity has made a significant contribution to the gaiety of nations. Whoever was involved at whatever point or level can justifiably feel proud of what they've helped bring about here.

• Great work and congrats!

What Japanese bootleg was it that Madlib sampled it from?

Dress

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I bet top dolla it was from the highly obscure, no loop-digga would look there, Kings of Diggin' comp on BBE.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Nah, if you click on the link above, you'll see it was the boot that Kon pressed up and gave away, which led to him and Amir licensing it legitimately for the BBE comp.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    People have been up on this record for a long time in the bay, a friend of mine is a good friend of Matt and was playing his record on the radio nearly a decade ago.

It was sampled in 2006 and that song has been performed to tens of thousands of people.

But I forgot, it only becomes relevant once Its stones throw related. :eyeroll:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm just glad this is coming out, and via ST the release will definitely get some exposure. MLC deserves it!

• I'm just glad this is coming out, and via ST the release will definitely get some exposure. MLC deserves it!
    Exactly.

MLC deserves it![/b]

Exactly - that's the bottom line. Doesn't matter who slept on what or where it was played first, at least IMO.

Just to give this story a little more shine:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-11-04/entertainment/17179789_1_album-crate-recordings

Joel Selvin ain't no slouch neither!

• this is music that deserves wider exposure and appreciation; however that exposure was achieved is just a footnote and nothing to get worked up about either way. the only one who really deserves any credit for anything is MLC and now that he is getting it who can be be mad at that?