Bed-buying strut

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited March 2010 in Strut Central
So, to simplify a complicated situation, I moved recently and, knowing that I'm pretty firmly planted in CA now unless a big offer is waved at me, am looking to buy a real bed that will last some years instead of the various "oh shit I just moved in" highly questionable mattresses of college days and brazil. I am not trying to have mad back issues in 15 years and all that.What are peoples recommendations for quality and bang for the buck? The game seems cluttered with bad products and meaningless marketing. Craigslist is a disaster on this one.I will consult chiropractor folk also but soulstrut threads are more entertaining.Go!

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    A Hastens is what you want. You can see and learn everything here....

http://www.hastens.com/en-us/

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Tempur Memory Foam, we have had one for 5 or so years and has made a huge difference to both my wife and I sleeping and in regards to back neck pain we used to suffer from

• Options
    You need to lay on a dozen or so to pick one out.

I tried out a $5000 mattress made out of some exotic-ass foam, a $3000 memory foam joint, and pocket coil schitts.

For me, the coil on coil with pillow top was the winner ($1700)

Biggest factor will be HOW you sleep: on your side, stomach, back?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    My wife and I dropped $900 on a quality Posturepedic coil + pillow top. By far, one of the best investments we've ever made for anything.

I agree with Driftwood: it behooves you to try out different beds and really get a sense of how hard/soft you want to go and then think about longevity. Cheaper foam beds may seem like a good bang for the buck but they'll also lose their spring faster than a coil bed.

I don't know if you need to go all out right now but I also think it's worth spending more to get the bad you want vs. the bed you're willing to settle for. When I was your age, I did the standard, early 20s, shitty futon steez and looking back, a few extra hundred bucks wouldn't have killed me to put into a better bed.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I dropped a G on a Stearns and Foster queen size about 5 years ago and I'm glad I did.

Keep up the rotation to maximize mattress life.

• those shits are supposed to last 25 years plus. spent just over a grand last year and it is one the best investments ever.

never going back to futon....

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Tempur Memory Foam, we have had one for 5 or so years and has made a huge difference to both my wife and I sleeping and in regards to back neck pain we used to suffer from

It's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I've had mine since 2002 and I'll have it for another 10 years at least, I'm sure. So amazingly comfortable, and has cured some of the back pains I had.

But, like everyone said, to each his own. Totally depends on your back, how you sleep, and what you define as comfortable.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Not sure if you have Mattress Giant where you are, but they've been offering 0% over 48 months. Since we had our daughter who likes to sleep in our bed AND sleeps perpendicular, we upgraded to King size. We went mid-high ($1800 in the sale) and it's been one of the best investments yet.

• Options
    Just wanted to chime in again to cosine on the "best investment" sentiments.

I slept on the same crappy single mattress from the age of 4 to my early 20s, then SHARED a single with my future wife for almost 2 years.

We moved to another city and slept on an air mattress for 6 months, which would deflate completely by some point in the night while we were asleep.

As recently graduated students, we "splurged" on an IKEA mattress, which was $300 and felt better than anything we had ever slept on before then. In retrospect, it was a really shitty mattress that would have me waking up stiff (no "oh my") and still tired.

Our current mattress is amazing. I fall asleep quick and barely ever feel my wife shift. She still snores like a fusking champ, but that's another thread.

I don't know what your financial situation is, but don't be afraid to pull the trigger on a really good mattress once you've tried out at least 10 or so--you need to do your homework because you'll be spending the next third of your life on it over a 10 year+ period.

Good luck!

I would just say though...if you're single, it's certainly worth finding a good bed but I wouldn't necessarily shell out top dollar since, once you and a possible future partner shack up, you may run into issues around whose bed to ultimately keep.

• I literally thought this thread was gonna be about lying in bed and making record purchases on the laptop.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    oh man... i may get ripped apart for this but i dropped $1200 for a queen size bed. no synthetics materials, organic cotton, tree rubber core, reclaimed wood for the frame... blah blah blah. it's definitely a laughable hippie type purchase but the bed itself is pretty great. its a bit on the firmer side but my back is quite happy about that. the major con is how f'in heavy the mattress is. its almost impossible to move. with this mattress and all my records... i'm hiring movers the next time i need to relocate.

Tree rubber core? Whoa.

But $1200 for a bed AND mattress is actually pretty damn good. We had to ditch our box spring when we moved (narrow corners-R) and my wife wants to get this Room and Board bed frame which sells for about a G by itself.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    ours was a touch over 6k but they are expensive here

• i forgot to mention that you can get some killer discounts if you go to mattress warehouses and look into mismatched (but 100% acceptable) box spring/mattress combos. obviously you would need to try many combos out though...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Post deleted by spelunk

Def not trying to splurge

need something that I feel comfortable with for the next 5-10 years.

Saying dude, you don't *need* to splurge but the latter means that you should go with comfort > price.

You will never regret spending loot on a good bed. EVER.

And I had a foam bed from one of the Bay Area stores; might have been from the same one in your hood. It may sound like a good idea but trust: you're better off with a spring coil + pillow top unless you want to throw down on a memory foam joint.

Def not trying to splurge

need something that I feel comfortable with for the next 5-10 years.

Saying dude, you don't *need* to splurge but the latter means that you should go with comfort > price.

You will never regret spending loot on a good bed. EVER.

And I had a foam bed from one of the Bay Area stores; might have been from the same one in your hood. It may sound like a good idea but trust: you're better off with a spring coil + pillow top unless you want to throw down on a memory foam joint.

No I'm talking about a coil bed and then foam on the top as extra.

Ah - yeah, get that egg crate stuff.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Tree rubber core? Whoa.

But $1200 for a bed AND mattress is actually pretty damn good. We had to ditch our box spring when we moved (narrow corners-R) and my wife wants to get this Room and Board bed frame which sells for about a G by itself.

I had to get a split foundation for that precise reason. Well, narrow stairway. It was a wise purchase.

I entertained the notion of a memory foam mattress but a co-worker, who owned memory foam pillows, advised me that below a certain temperature memory foam turns into a bricklike substance. I envisioned myself coming home after work in the wintertime and jumping onto my bed, only to find I've broken my femur due to said rigidity issues.

So I bought a midgrade mattress by a midgrade name brand manufacturer at a discount store. Seems to serve its purpose.

ours was a touch over 6k but they are expensive here

Where do you live, the moon???

Tree rubber core? Whoa.

And now my husband wants to buy a record that's $250 all by itself

Game over, imma holler at these guys tomorrow, in my town too:

http://www.dirtcheapmattress.com/

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    egg crate foam pad is so necessary.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Game over, imma holler at these guys tomorrow, in my town too:

http://www.dirtcheapmattress.com/

Black people and white people get their furniture here. You should too.

Tree rubber core? Whoa.

And now my husband wants to buy a record that's $250 all by itself

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My old roommate was convinced that if you didn't put one of those plastic bags around your mattress that it would double in weight over 10 years or so due to the insects that live and die inside it. Anyone care to myth-bust that theory?

BTW, Don't even cinch on anything where you lay your head or rest your ass. No bargain shopping allowed on couches, desk chairs, easy chairs or beds.