Scratch Mag 30 Greatest Samples & breaks

edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
funky drummerimpeach the presidenttake me to the mardi grasthink about itapachebig beatfunky wormget out my life womantodayatomic dogjust kissed my babydrag rapi got thewe gettin downsmillin' billy suite pt#2you can't turn me awaysing a simple songschoolboy crushwoman to womanhard to handlewho's making love ?e.v.ai'm gonna love you just a little more babyblind alleyinfinitysummer in the cityunwind yourselfthe edgethe champseed of love DISCUSS............[/b]

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    fdrag rap

i got the

infinity

seed of love

DISCUSS............[/b]

I would discuss them if I knew what they were, can someone please beatbox these for me?

unwind yourself

you are a cruel man

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    drag rap...(TRIGGERMAN...NEW ORLEANS JAWN)
    i got the...LABI SIFFRE (MY NAME IS..EMINEM)
    infinity....SHELLY MANNE (JERU...COME CLEAN)
    seed of love....LIL BOY BLUES (JAY Z ...P.S.A)

I would discuss them if I knew what they were, can someone please beatbox these for me?

LIL DUDE

• i got the

HI
    my name is
    HI
    my name is
    HI
    my name is
    chikachikaslimshady

this list is 60% beating a dead horse and 40% suspect.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ahhh, I like that break...I always thought that song was called "The Vulture"

ok, now someone beatbox the rest of them for me. I'm almost ready to discuss the shit out of these breaks

• drag rap is some 88 rap shit from the south I believe. A lot of southern producers have incorporated the "doooodoooo doooodooooo doooodooooo dooooodoooo" part into thur tracks. Definetly not a " break" just some shit southern cats like to pay homage to.

REPLACING THE MISTAKES

-------------------------

atomic dog......MORE BOUNCE ..ZAPP

we gettin down..........DAYLIGHT...RAMP

you can't turn me away.....I'M AFRAID THE MASQUERADE IS OVER..DAVID PORTER

hard to handle.......SINGING A SONG FOR MY MOTHER...BOHANNON

who's making love ?........ITS YOUR THING...LOU DONALDSON

i'm gonna love you just a little more baby......IT'S A NEW DAY...SKULSNAPS

infinity........ON THE HILL...OLIVER SAIN

unwind yourself.........SEVEN MINUTES OF FUNK..WHOLE DARN FAMILY

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Definetly not a " break"

But definitely a sample

I like the Lou Donaldson and Sylvia Striplin, both excellent tracks, one reason alone - they can be played out - unlike some of the others which are only good for a 2 second sample.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    drag rap is some 88 rap shit from the south I believe. A lot of southern producers have incorporated the "doooodoooo doooodooooo doooodooooo dooooodoooo" part into thur tracks. Definetly not a " break" just some shit southern cats like to pay homage to.

The Showboys 'Drag Rap (Triggerman)' (Profile) 1985 -> pretty much the blueprint for New Orleans - similar to how Original Concept 'Can You Feel It?' (Def Jam) 1986 is for Miami (bass)...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    The Showboys 'Drag Rap (Triggerman)' (Profile) 1985 -> pretty much the blueprint for New Orleans

Could somebody upload it i'm interested in hearing it.

• hola! i'm new here and almost completely ign'ant. did you cross out the titles on the original list because you disagreed with the choices? or what? i know i'm opening myself up to scorn, abuse, mockery, etc., here, but please explain, either on this thread or in a private message.
    thanks,
    m

. did you cross out the titles on the original list because you disagreed with the choices?

Yes

i'm opening myself up to scorn, abuse, mockery, etc

Dont do that man and Welcome.

• okay, well, thanks!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

we gettin down

Hey, I like that one!

Of course, there are some others on there that I wouldn't mind never hearing again. I won't mention which, for fear of my Real Headz Cratez Diggerz 4 Life Membership Card being revoked.

The Showboys 'Drag Rap (Triggerman)' (Profile) 1985 -> pretty much the blueprint for New Orleans

drag rap

• edpowers killing it. saved magazine tax and upped the ante x3. appreciated.

REPLACING THE MISTAKES

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

. did you cross out the titles on the original list because you disagreed with the choices?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes

Thanks man

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Damn these fuckers bit the blowed hard!

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    For real, how are you gonna miss Skull Snaps or the Whatnauts drums???????

• For real, how are you gonna miss Skull Snaps or the Whatnauts drums list the greatest samples & breaks in the first place.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I didn't see Synthetic Substitution in there either.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I didn't see Synthetic Substitution in there either.

Yeah, puhleeeze.... any "greatest breaks" list that doesn't include Substitution is a totally worthless list IMO. I know it's hard to narrow it down to 30 with all the breaks out there, but come on.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Re: Scratch Mag 30 Greatest Samples & breaks

i get more useful information re: hip hop here:

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    For real, how are you gonna miss Skull Snaps or the Whatnauts drums???????
    Because it was done by Scratch magazine.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Real Headz Cratez Diggerz 4 Life Membership Card

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    drag rap is some 88 rap shit from the south I believe. A lot of southern producers have incorporated the "doooodoooo doooodooooo doooodooooo dooooodoooo" part into thur tracks. Definetly not a " break" just some shit southern cats like to pay homage to.

The Showboys 'Drag Rap (Triggerman)' (Profile) 1985 -> pretty much the blueprint for New Orleans - similar to how Original Concept 'Can You Feel It?' (Def Jam) 1986 is for Miami (bass)...

and The Showboys were from Queens, not from the South.

crazydrummachinebraekbounce

• strikerstriker 146 Posts
    hola! i'm new here and almost completely ign'ant.

come on Mr.F.. WFMU headz know the deal

& wot no Amen Brother?????

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I don't recall it makin' crazy noise (no Stezo) in the Northeast when it was released; I understand that it eventually made its way down south to N'Awlins where it become a staple (so much so that a mainstream music publication such as Spin cited it as pivotal in an article years later on the then burgeonin'/nationally-emergin' bounce scene)...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    wot no Amen Brother?????

• drag rap is some 88 rap shit from the south I believe. A lot of southern producers have incorporated the "doooodoooo doooodooooo doooodooooo dooooodoooo" part into thur tracks. Definetly not a " break" just some shit southern cats like to pay homage to.

wait....so New York influenced the South? UNBAN ARCHAIC NOW PLAESE!