DJ Premier genius

debardebar 215 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
i'm sure there's been tons of discussion about this before, if not here, then on other boards, in real life, etc., but I just found the sample Premo used on Betrayal, and while he didn't do much to the original sample, it still reminded me of all the ill shit Premo's done over the years.please share some of your Premier holy shit! momentsa couple of mine:when I heard the Wes Montgomery loop he used on the Group Home introwhen I found out he used the same Galt McDermot sample on "Werdz From The Ghetto Child" (from Ownerz) as Prince Paul & Automator used for "The Truth" on the first Handsome Boy

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    when he turned those 2 seconds of good playing on that Vic Juris piece of crap into a hip-hop classic

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    when he flipped those tiny guitar stabs on that Cal Tjader record into one helluva banger for "Full Clip"

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Beanie Maupin - Jewell of the Nile for Up Against the Wall, the remix or something

• That time, when he walked in on Biggie getting head from two chicks, in the fabled D&D studios, and Primo was like, "oh dude sorry" but Biggie was like, "Nah bro no sweat hey come get some yourself"? I read that in an interview.

That was awesome

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    i have a soft spot for the "in memory of.." beat. anbody know what was sampled for that?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i think it was Paul Horn

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    SNL all up in this mother today.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    when he turned those 2 seconds of good playing on that Vic Juris piece of crap into a hip-hop classic

yes! that's got to be his shining star moment. the remix to "me not the papes" was also a thing of beauty.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

please share some of your Premier holy shit! moments

nearly all of 'hard to earn'. fala, code of the streets etc..

too bad everything he's made since 97 sounds exactly the same. still waiting for the next evolution.

• when he turned those 2 seconds of good playing on that Vic Juris piece of crap into a hip-hop classic
    which song is that? (the beat he made out of it)

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Mass Appeal

• pretty much all his beats are real good flips/chops.

but yo! he hasn't made anything dope since "Inspiration" w/ Cee-Lo and some dudes called DA RAHNJAZ. My man is hurting right now (pause).

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    Come Clean, Just To Get A Rep, Unbeliveable, Ex To Next Girl,

DJ Premier In Deep Concentration, Rappaz R In Danjah,

KRS ONE Attacks (What an intro), Gangstarr with Neneh Cherry tunes are called "Sassy" and "I aint got under yet", Breakfast At Denny's,

"33 Revolutions per minute" on the Marxmen LP is a killer tune,

Dont remember the name of the tune but he did a remix for Soul II Soul which is also a absolut banger, and a Big Shug 12" from around 94 which I also dont remember the name yet.

I'll interview him on thursday in Berlin.

If you want I could ask him questions that you guys got.

The answers will be coming on the TV show I do which will also be broadcasted into the web in a few weeks.

Peace

Hawkeye

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    U.S. cats don't know that, but Primo is the reason why there's beatmakers ALL OVER the World. Ok, let's humble this statement down, he's ONE of the reason.

Nearly ALL producers abroad used Primo drums (snatched from instrumentals of course) to start their own career. Even cats in U.S. had that habit for a while.

He's HIP-HOP to the fullest. The best resume ever. He makes you dig. Period.

Best moments for me :

-Step In The Arena Lp. That put me into Hip-Hop music and start my love for Soul and Jazz.

-Hard To Earn. That's when i felt like i could loop some shit myself after hearing Siloliquy Of Chaos. Vic Juris ruled of course.

-The Sun Rise In The East. That's when i grew mad love for breakbeats. Come Clean is my favorite song. It took me two years to swallow the LP.

-Livin' Proof LP. That's when i realize that one beatmaker can overseen a whole LP and make it happen. Rappers was even redundant, but the music was so beautiful.

-The KRS LP. That's when i started to drop school...

-Moment Of Truth. That's when it was hard to snatch his snare drums. He had the best ones. I didn't the hi-hats too because it highly reconizable. Dude was on top of his game. He should have switch beat signature after that.

Thx Mr Martin. You fucked up my life. But i'm grateful for that...

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    pretty much all his beats are real good flips/chops.

but yo! he hasn't made anything dope since "Inspiration" w/ Cee-Lo and some dudes called DA RAHNJAZ. My man is hurting right now (pause).

Have you heard the new AZ ("The Come Up")? Seriously good stuff...

• Mass Appeal

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Since im in a good mood, here's the full 12"...That's two Primo hook-ups!!lol
    AZ - The Come-Up
    Tony Touch - Gangsta Shit

• Limp Bizkit w/Method Man "N 2 Gether Now" using the sample off the ________ Soundtrack.

Amazing work.

• flippin the procal harum break for me not the papes, making sun rises in the east the only hip hop classic that has no basslines.

• when he turned those 2 seconds of good playing on that Vic Juris piece of crap into a hip-hop classic

and when he took that rapper dapper snapper bullish and just looped it for skillz. such a sick beat.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Fhilly,

Sorry, but that "Sensatize" sample by Roy Ayers (looped for Mental Stamina) has a bassline. Anyway, one of my favorite moments is how he flipped that Joe Chambers for "NY State of Mind".

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• flippin the procal harum break for me not the papes, making sun rises in the east the only hip hop classic that has almost no basslines.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    how he flipped that Joe Chambers for "NY State of Mind"

yessssssss

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    when he took that rapper dapper snapper bullish and just looped it for skillz. such a sick beat.

how he flipped that Joe Chambers for "NY State of Mind"

^I especially second these two.

I think my first true "holy shit" moment was when I was when I was sampling Bob James' "Look-Alike" in hopes of figuring out a new way to flip it and suddenly realized I had inadvertantly re-made "The ? Remainz".

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    I liked when he flipped that Ahmad Jamal on Jeru's second album (the name of the sample and song escapes me right now).

• That time, when he walked in on Biggie getting head from two chicks, in the fabled D&D studios, and Primo was like, "oh dude sorry" but Biggie was like, "Nah bro no sweat hey come get some yourself"? I read that in an interview.

That was awesome

i read that too,funny thing is was biggie actually telling him to get some too,or get some from the chicks

That time, when he walked in on Biggie getting head from two chicks, in the fabled D&D studios, and Primo was like, "oh dude sorry" but Biggie was like, "Nah bro no sweat hey come get some yourself"? I read that in an interview.

That was awesome

i read that too,funny thing is was biggie actually telling him to get some too,or get some from the chicks
    Yeah, I read that in either the Source or XXL. To paraphrase DJ Premier," He asked me if I wanted to get a mic check". CLASSIC

• I liked when he flipped that Ahmad Jamal on Jeru's second album (the name of the sample and song escapes me right now).

Are you sure you're not talking about "soliliquy (sp) of chaos" whic chops a track off "Jamalca"?

I liked when he flipped that Ahmad Jamal on Jeru's second album (the name of the sample and song escapes me right now).

Are you sure you're not talking about "soliliquy (sp) of chaos" whic chops a track off "Jamalca"?
    No. As a matter of fact, the title of the Ahmad Jamal album (not song) is 'The Awakening'. BTW, Soliliquy of Chaos is the shit.

• I still can't get over how he flipped that intro..