The Tres Hombres (record and food related)

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited January 2016 in Off Topic (NRR)
for a few years now, whenever my buddies and I listen to the great ZZ Top LP "Tres Hombres" we inevitably talk about the meal pictured in the gatefold...after years of this talking my friend decided to make it from scratch for us for his birthday. First we had to decide what it is we agreed on the following:3 enchiladasrice and beans2 crispy shelled tacosplate of guacamole and refried bean nachosbean tostadalimesjalapenosbeerwe were undiecided on what the cheese covered thing on the left of the plate was...even a call to the restaurant where the photo was taken (Lou's in Houston, which is still open) didnt know...so we decided it was a chili relleno.So all 6 of us ate a "Tres Hombre" and consumed many magaritas, beers and bowls. I was able to finish mine, and one other person was able to finish also...its a big meal...so 6 of these were made...

we are undecided on what other record meal we will make and consume...the easiest will undobetedly be the CHarlie Daniels band gatefold of buckets of freid chicken and Jack Daniels...
LaserWolfcapricornrising

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    HOLY SHIT, THATS AWESOME.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I love everything about this.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    This is the bizarre cousin of the sleeve-face phenomenon. You'd best name it and get a website up before those Euromen claim to invent it.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    amazing

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

me too...sounds like a great party idea to me!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Cool recreation, Hook...

But no radio?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

Yep, looks like Tijuana to me.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    thread of the year

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    this idea rules on so many levels

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The closest I come to that is Herrera's in Dallas.

It's the only restaurant I've ever been to that appeared in National Geographic.

Well done Hook-Up.

• I also think this is really awesome.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    You guys are badass! Well done.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

we are undecided on what other record meal we will make and consume...

my suggestion...

how about this: 

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    do not make this

this looks tasty though, but hold back that swine and lard imo and you have a great base for a lot of deliciousness

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Killer koncept, Er*c!

Please nobody re-create the Royal Trux THANK YOU album cover.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

and...

this looks tasty though, but hold back that swine and lard imo and you have a great base for a lot of deliciousness

WHAT swine and lard? This looks like it was shot in a vegetarian's kitchen!

Unless you're referring to the Mongo that I posted...there's some straight-up pig on that plate, but ham hocks are good in moderation.

And that Jack Bruce cover (which I REFUSE to reprint)...I can't tell what he's eating, but I sure as hell wouldn't share it with the dog...much less be photographed in the act!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Sported a ZZ Top t-shirt to the clurb on Saturday, got a few compliments. On a meal-related tip, I tossed a piece of pizza to the curb outside of the Village Pizeria in Chicago, in drunken digust of its poor quality -- and I would bet that it's triangle greasy stain will forever grace the sidewalk where it landed. Not my best moment -- we should have gone out for Mexican.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    glad yall dig it! Just so yall know, it was the 3 professional line cooks in our crew that did all the hard work...I was just responsible for the presentation, making margaritas and eating it...everybody was in a food coma after eating the tres hombres...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    That's an award worthy idea! Pure genius!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This would be a serious digestgive challenge:

• ...Cougar included. (shudder)

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    for the challenged cooks

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This would be a serious digestgive challenge:

Ha! When I worked on a fish processing barge in Alaska my shift was lifting 75 and 300lb (with another dude) boxes as fast as I could for 16 hrs/day, 7days/week. I ate a meal that looked exactly like that (they only served breakfast on the boat) 2 or, if I was lucky, 3 times a day. I only had 20 minutes to cram that down and get back to work.

It was 6 eggs, 6 pancakes, bowl of dried fruit, bowl of oatmeal, toast, bacon, sausage, banana w/peanut butter, OJ and milk. I remember wishing it was more.

I've always been a skinny guy, but I put on 30lbs of muscle that summer.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    for the challenged cooks

I could still screw this recipe up.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Not sure if someone posted this already, lots of images not showing up, but I want this (record and food)

I double-dog DARE one of y'all to replicate THIS: