I want to/plan on moving to SF in half to 1 yr

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2009 in Strut Central
I still plan on moving to SF to work in the graphic design/art/etc. field (in some sort of fashion). My homie John (in the band eustachian ( http://www.myspace.com/eustachian ) moved there a few years back from my hometown here in South Cack and of course he loves and knows I would too and wrote me the most encouraging, motivating, inspirational long ass email anyone could possibly write. I basically wrote him asking what the REALITY (like..dude, just be brutally honest with me...) of me moving there and finding a gig,etc. He wrote in such detail and even broke down a numbered step by step game plan to make the succssful move. He moved there from here and within 14 hrs he had 6 job offers to choose from. He picked one and immediately began making 4 times what he made down here in the Dirty. So now I am crazy stoked and ready to make more $$$. Even without a degree or education..and just judging from my design work he's seen he said he knows "i'd thrive" and do good there (in other words...MAKE IT!). I am so ready to be around normal people (not SC folk)What do yall Bay Strutters feel about what I just wrote?

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I think you should move to SF, take his numbered game plan, design it in book form, call it "Making The Move To San Francisco," sell it and make it big!

Seriously, just do it. You obviously have someone who cares for your well-being there, and I assume you have friends and family in SC. Just do it!

Take my advice with a grain of salt, though, as I haven't made a move like that.

Also, not sure what the cost of living in SC is, but 4 times in SF might equal what you're making in SC now.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Well, I will say, this :economy. It has been rough for me to find something in the last 8-9 months, and I JUST got a higher paying job that I like...

Just follow your heart, and it will come. It will take some time, but don't expect money to come that easily.

Everyone's story is different.

Good luck!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

What do yall Bay Strutters[/b] feel about what I just wrote?

Oops. Sorry!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    YEAH HERM...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    BOOOOOO!

The only thing worse than the South is the West.

Come to Cleveland, baby!

I know that did nothing to assist you, but still.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Job market is fucked up in many fields, that said it's not a bad place to live.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Congress to CA: Drop Dead

California is broke. Something to consider

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    uh, when did your friend move to SF? cause freelancing/graphic design is NOT like how you described in the Bay. I know talented, connected people who have been at it for years and still struggling. Post up your design work though, I'm curious.

Just remember that there is a whole country, if not world, of people who would like to move to SF.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    There's more opportunity here than just about anywhere, but there's also more competition than just about anywhere so come correct or don't come at all.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I like it out here; moved out this past August though I already had a job lined up. Before my wife was impregnated she was on the hunt; fully experienced in her field with a resume to show for it and she had trouble initially before she stopped looking.

It's expensive as shit out here too; and the amount of "creatives" that live our here is probably the most per capita in the USA.

That said; there is great food, music, art, culture records, and outdoor activities that one can partake in.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I got a job at the first place I applied to straight out of college from UC Berkeley. Granted it's in Palo Alto.

I think the opportunities for "getting lucky" and finding a gig at a great organization increase substantially in the Bay Area vs elsewhere.

This brings up another great strength of the Bay: within an hour's drive, you have access to an incredibly diverse job marketplace: from Silicon Valley to SF to Berkeley. Few places can offer quite as much, imo.

• You should come and visit for at least a week before deciding to move here. Also, save up a shit ton of money in case you can't find a job for a few months.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    You should come and visit for at least a week before deciding to move here. Also, save up a shit ton of money in case you can't find a job for a few months.

^^^great advice