Moving semi-permanently to a foreign country?

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited May 2009 in Strut Central
Have any strutters done this? I've been considering doing this pretty much since I got here in Brasil but I'm pretty much decided now that my the next few years of my life are gonna be spent going back and forth between Brasil and the states.Any advice in all facets of things, burrocracy, job hunting, shipping, frequent flyer miles, etc. would be very appreciated. Pretty much all the foreigners who I know in the states moved at a very young age and I want to know more about what this is like as an adult.PS - if necessary, I will sell all my records to make this happen. Life > records.

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    burrocracy

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Have any strutters do this? I've been considering doing this pretty much since I got here in Brasil but I'm pretty much decided now that my the next few years of my life are gonna be spent going back and forth between Brasil and the states.

Any advice in all facets of things, burrocracy, job hunting, shipping, frequent flyer miles, etc. would be very appreciated. Pretty much all the foreigners who I know in the states moved at a very young age and I want to know more about what this is like as an adult.

PS - if necessary, I will sell all my records to make this happen. Life > records.

Total thread hijack and stupid question, but is Brasil really as dangerous as they say?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    hahahaha. my English spelling has gotten so bad over the past 5 months. It took me like 20 seconds to spell idea instead of "id??ia" today.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Have any strutters do this? I've been considering doing this pretty much since I got here in Brasil but I'm pretty much decided now that my the next few years of my life are gonna be spent going back and forth between Brasil and the states.

Any advice in all facets of things, burrocracy, job hunting, shipping, frequent flyer miles, etc. would be very appreciated. Pretty much all the foreigners who I know in the states moved at a very young age and I want to know more about what this is like as an adult.

PS - if necessary, I will sell all my records to make this happen. Life > records.

You're a young dude (relatively speaking). I think it's worth doing right now if you feel strongly about that. If/when you get married and start knocking out kids, you may re-evaluate but unless your career-training is geo-specific to Brazil, you can always come back to the US. Heck, by the time you do, maybe we'll be out of this recession!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    me and my future wife are considering settling for 4-5 year periods in other countries (brasil-senegal)
    our workexperience/studies are in intl affairs so it helps
    but i understand the feeling you get
    settling for a couple of years and deciding to stay a bit more or go back to the motherland is a better way to go than constant back and forths imo
    try a full year and a 1/2 in brasil see if you are really feeling it and if your roots are starting to take (job,consistent $$ flow)

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    My family lived in Hong Kong my first two years in high school (76-78) and it was awesome. They gave me the freedom to do whatever I want there (no drinking age then) and I had a lot of cool adventures. Go for it, you'll regret it if you don't.

My dad's company paid for us to fly back and forth several times a year with a weeks travel time thrown in, a nice bonus to the experience.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    The lady and I might be moving overseas in the not-so-distant future because of work. When the offer was initially made, I didn't hesitate. You only live once and whats the worst that can happen? You have to move back and buy new furniture?