Classic record store quotes

volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
Eastern European dude with heavy accent holding copy of Crusaders Ghetto Blaster. "I've never seen this in my life. I predict one day this will be worth lots of money"When dude came in he asked the clerk if the store would loan him some LP's so he could take them home and put them on cassette tape for his car. When the clerk suggested the library dude got aggrivated.

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I've witnessed this on countless occasions:

An older, slightly handicaped older man is mumbling something that doesnt make sense to the store owner

Customer: yeah, if you want that one, i think i can get it. I'll bring it in, yeah if you want it, i think i can get it, oh thats a classic....
    Record Store owner: (rubs his brow, averts eye contact, looks down at the ground, makes a slight groaning noise, doesn't look at customer as he leaves, hands me my bag without even looking at me either.)

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Skippy White to SoulOnIce, explaining his high prices:

"once these records leave the store, I don't see them again..."

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Random dorks at TSL pointing at records on the wall talking real loud: "Oh I've got that... and that... sold that... don't like that..." Blah, please shut up.

-e

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

"...and apparently that's why we found the suicide note inside the Raphael Ravenscroft LP."

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Ugh I hate that store. Yah yah yah I know all about "the basement." I didn't have time or access to it and I was way too late to get any heat anyway. All I know now is that it is a depressing experience.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    OOld dessert records store dealer used to always tell me "That record has beats on it"....He was a shlub!

• Skippy White to SoulOnIce, explaining his high prices:

Skippy White had a store in New Orleans for a short while, prices were dirt cheap. In and out of business in 2 years.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

Ugh I hate that store. Yah yah yah I know all about "the basement." I didn't have time or access to it and I was way too late to get any heat anyway. All I know now is that it is a depressing experience.

from what i hear, at this point , even the basement has been raided, hence his remark... basically he got BURNED big time by collectors (your typical overseas vultures is my guess, you know who you are!) and now he feels like it's his duty/form of revenge/misguided attempt-at-looking-out-for-himself to charge you 10 bucks for Laura Lee 45's on Hot Wax... whatever, he can get buried with those 45's for all i care...

it's just a funny thing to say b/c it's so obvious it borders on stupid...once it leaves, you'll never see it? Gee, Skip do you want visiting rights?

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Dude walks up to the counter to pay for recrods and short old man say's sarcaticly " Oh so this has a sample on it!" dude say's "Dang man can't a dude just buy a record for the music!".... As he walks out the door "Oh yeah this does have a sample on it and a fat break on it and I saw it go for $300 bucks on ebay! and your dumb ass had it in the dollar bin! Dude flips old man off and walks out..... LOL!!!!

• weird old guy to the store owner: "I'm looking for a record by Sergio Mendes & The Tijuana Brass..."

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    weird old guy to the store owner: "I'm looking for a record by Sergio Mendes & The Tijuana Brass..."

Right next to Herb Albert & Brazil 66.

I've posted this before, but all I can think of now:
    Woman with box of records to sell, "There are some John Denver's in there, and I know he is dead".

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    delted due to hookup's dumb ass posting under the wrong name

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I go into River...I pull some 45s, he will only sell me some of them...he wont let my buy this one little heater on Weiss..."I can get $200 for that" he tells me. I ask, "how about a finder's fee?...it was buried under five other boxes and it took me 2 hours to find it" he responds...
    "oh, I knew it was there"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Other than good record store talk, I remember looking for something, don't remember what it was. A lady comes in and she says "do you have any Hawaiian music?" I never hear that, so I want to put my ear in the conversation. My hands were probably in Def Leppard around this time (1987 or so) and the guy behind the counter says "yes we do, I think we should have some Don Ho".

Now, I love Don Ho's music, don't get me wrong. But being asked for Hawaiian music and offering Don Ho as a suggestion is like being asked for some quality vocal jazz and you offer Norah Jones.

Anyway, I heard the Don Ho reference, stopped what I was doing and walked out.

• Was in a shop that specializes mostly in indie stuff, and a girl and guy are behind the counter chatting. They're talking about the Madlib "Shades of Blue" LP. The guy explains to her, "well, he's an underground hip hop producer, and Blue Note pretty much gave him unlimited access to the Blue Note catalogue". So she responds, "why the hell would they do that?!?", indignantly.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Today, phone call; "I have a framed gold Elvis record, it's framed and everything, how much is it worth?". Is it a gold award record? "It's 24 karat gold, how much would it be worth?" Well it's worth at least the value of the gold. "How much would that be?" I don't know, you would have to ask a jeweler. "A what?" A jeweler. "How much would a 24 karat gold Elvis record be worth?" I don't know, ask a jeweler. "A what?" A jeweler. "Like jewelry?" Yes. "You don't know how much a 24 karat gold Elvis record would be worth?" No.

And so on for 15 minutes.

If you are not aware, there are junk dealers who take beat up Elvis and Beatles 45s & lps and spray paint them gold frame them up and sell them as gold records.

Dan

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    "No, you can't listen to it. Read the back if you want to know what it sounds like."

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I ask, "how about a finder's fee?...it was buried under five other boxes and it took me 2 hours to find it"

• I go into River...I pull some 45s, he will only sell me some of them...he wont let my buy this one little heater on Weiss..."I can get $200 for that" he tells me. I ask, "how about a finder's fee?...it was buried under five other boxes and it took me 2 hours to find it" he responds...
    "oh, I knew it was there"

And of course, I've never seen a Weiss single go for 2 (or close). Typical River. You always get the feeling he considers his customers to be enemies (and also pawns). Even more unbelievable, he told me something similar about "Big Leg Woman". I was going to pick up a copy for a friend in Spain, he told me he could get some outrageous amount for it. You can't help but to laugh at that guy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The most heard thing I've heard in all the record shops I've worked in is...

"They still sell vinyl?"

Heard it a million times.

Mind you, not once when I worked in London. It's a totally different world over there. Even tons of women who weren't DJ's or collectors in anyway buying new records just to listen to. It was nice...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I had some local Memphis gangster 12" from like 2002 I wanted, and the dude at River said "40$". Whatta priyock

• After looking through vinyl for over 1/2 hour yesterday, the store-owner comes up to me and asks "Do you even have a turntable?" When I told him I did, he turned away and said "eh". WTF? Like I thought all the LPs in the bins were oversized CD jackets?

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    "Whoah a Jim Pembroke Lp? "Who??" "Ya know the guy from Wigwam..."

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    This is a thrift store quote but whatever -- and I heard it at least five times on my last road trip -- I'm dropping the needle on the portable, no headphones mind you, and some fellow shopper stops, looks (practically cocks their head to the side like a confused animal), and after a pregnant moment of wondering, says "what is that thing?"

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    "Whoah a Jim Pembroke Lp? "Who??" "Ya know the guy from Wigwam..."

This was an exchange between me and you, Dennis.
    I remember it vividly. KC, 1998 or so.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Not at a record store -- but this morning -- at an estate sale in nw new jersey --

the people cleaned out houses. loads of junk there -- i ask about records -- old man points me to a ton of them. i start digging. i see a ton more boxes of 45s, lps, and 78s. i find a sun ra one from the 80s -- didn't look so hot, but it was sun ra nonetheless. some early kinks records, a seeds lp, etc.

anyhow, after an hour or so of digging old man tells me they are two bucks each. he noticed i pulled some out of "the back" in which he had to ask about from the owner -- some scraggly fat dude comes out in a black sabbath t-shirt and tells me "records aren't for sale."
    i tell him that i was told they were for sale.
    he then said "just look this stuff up on napster"

moron. good luck getting rid of the records. there were thousands of bad dollar classic rock -- mostly beat up. that made me steamed. i told him he lost out on some cash and that i was the only customer there the whole time and to have good luck in getting rid of them."
    dude just looked at me all pissy.
    that was such a waste of time.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Every single day- So are the cd's alphabetized?? Also, uh you know that this cd is empty right? Me- uh thats a divider card.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Record store owner: you should clean those records when you get home.
    Me: yes, will clean them.
    RSO: what do you use for cleaning records?
    Me: home made brew. Distilled water, isoprop., etc.
    RSO: Nahhhhhhhhhh
    Me: uh
    RSO (puts secret agent face checking for hidden mics): I'll tell you my secret. I only use.....shampoo (puts expert face). It leaves records shining like they were new.

So now you know waht to do with your next garage sale raer. Thank me later.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    "i havent priced those yet, so you can't buy them."

FUCK.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "i havent priced those yet, so you can't buy them."

FUCK.

This one I enjoy when you can clearly see that the pile of "off limits" records are all Poco, Crosby Still and Nash and Loggins and Messina rekkids.

"Hey, no problem."