Slow breaks vs. Fast Breaks

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
DCastillo throws down the gauntlet:"stop hating on fast breaks. slow breaks are boring as fuck. give me some fire any day of the week."

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    you forgot the poll:

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122659258dCastillo">

THIS HEAT:[/b]
    FAST
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

you forgot the poll:

competition is none

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122659477ODub">

Sometimes I break slow, sometimes I break fast[/b]
    Nice, slow breaks where you can enjoy the syncopation and get your head nod on
    Fast breaks that only sound good to speed freaks and usually are over before you know it

INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122659477ODub">

Fast breaks that only sound good to speed freaks and usually are over before you know it

No Fair.

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122659867dCastillo">

SLEEPER HOLD OR BUM RUSH:[/b]
    I'm falling asleep here and the drummer has a serious case of rubber arms.
    Yo, this drummer is kinging this shit! Makes me wanna dance!

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Fast breaks are slept on.

-e

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    competition is none
    jus wait.

Fast breaks are slept on.

-e

Maybe that's for a reason

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122659477ODub">

FUCK THE DUMB

It's ALL ABOUT DISCO BREAKS.

Seriously, some of fav. kicks and snares have come from some crazypoprock-type of "boogie" 12''s

competition is none
    jus wait.

"I don't really listen to people when they talk because I'm really just about myself these days."

• its all about Florida Breaks!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

No Fair.

this is the part where sketch turns up his booombox and starts uprocking like "what what?!" and odub's standing there arms crossed, nodding his head like "you don't want none homie" ahaha

BATTLE!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    competition is none
    jus wait.

"I don't really listen to people when they talk because I'm really just about myself these days."

that was all sweendog right there. i admire the honesty. no... for real. i dont think i could compete with your mix, but i'll try.

competition is none
    jus wait.

that was all sweendog right there. i admire the honesty. no... for real. i dont think i could compete with your mix, but i'll try.

I'm just anticipating hearing what you're gonna have on the mix. Intriguing like the records found in other cities.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    competition is none
    jus wait.

I'm just anticipating hearing what you're gonna have on the mix. Intriguing like the records found in other cities.

This kinda sounds like you're saying "Yeah, you're right. You can't compete with my mix... but I'll check yours." That bboy confident swagger in full effect!

-e

Where you at, O-dub?

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122661199dCastillo">

SAYIN:[/b]
    Humble Pie S/T
    JB - SOUL PRIDE

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1122661248dCastillo">

REALLY DOUGH:[/b]
    Billy Swan
    SONNY PHILLIPS - PROUD MARY

This kinda sounds like you're saying "Yeah, you're right. You can't compete with my mix... but I'll check yours." That bboy confident swagger in full effect!

-e
    dude, don't make me sound like that dude.

Delay's 12" cut melts my face off. I think he's gonna be bringing some heat.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

"I'm Ready" knocks.

But my son could play that beat, and I don't even have a son.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

dude, don't make me sound like that dude.

Delay's 12" cut melts my face off. I think he's gonna be bringing some heat.

You're the one verbally up-rockin'!

Sike, nah. My boss is gone and I'm bored at work. Don't mind me.

-e

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    in my mind garden this is the most boring b-boy battle ever! where the hell is O-dub?

LET'S GET IT ON!

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

ALL FAST BREAKS SUCK ESSEPT KC SUNSHINE BAND LET IT GO PT 2

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Sampling-wise, I like how grimy and evil fast breaks sound when you pitch them down to slower speeds. It sounds much better that pitching up slower breaks, unless you're into that UK Garage type of sound.

in my mind garden this is the most boring b-boy battle ever! where the hell is O-dub?

LET'S GET IT ON!

Never put the Soulstrut before the seeds.

If I actually had brain cells left, I'd sit down and compile a list of good, slower breaks though I think we might first have to define what is "slow" and what is "fast". I'd probably have to put Love's "Doggone" in the slow category. And if "Amen Brother" defines the fast break, sheeeeeet, that's like what? 120 bpm?

And if "Amen Brother" defines the fast break, sheeeeeet, that's like what? 130 bpm?

I'm gonna claim the territory of 94 bpm+
    You get 93bpm-

..and the first half of Doggone = Fast, second half = Slow

second half = easier to sample, banging in the trunk, yes
    but the first half = that real fire.

And if "Amen Brother" defines the fast break, sheeeeeet, that's like what? 130 bpm?

You get 93bpm-

94+ is fast? In what mindgardenuniverse is that the case? I think slow breaks are 90 BPM or slower and fast breaks are 105 and higher and everything in between are off limits to both of us.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Every section of "Doggone" is usable, I've used it so many times I know it in reverse. I've been doing some research to see if any other versions of "Doggone" may have been recorded. Not "released", but recorded during those sessions, because George Suranovich (r.i.p.) was just sick. He may have been sharing his Ed Thigpen influence, but "Doggone", that's my beat.

I'm also looking for any live versions. I know there's a version of "Doggone" recorded in Copenhagen around the release of the album, but the MP3 cuts right when the drum solo starts.

-------

(George Suranovich obituary)

My favorite quote from the above link:

Of all his experiences, Love was George's favorite, and he always spoke highly of Arthur. He was a great admirer of Lee's "street smarts", and enthusiastically told of how they'd rent a 16-track recorder for their house, record a bunch of tracks, then return it and refuse to pay for it, claiming it didn't perform adequately. In return they'd get a new machine, record more tracks, return it without paying, etc. The albums Four Sail[/b] and Out Here[/b] were recorded in this manner.

You get 93bpm-

94+ is fast? In what mindgardenuniverse is that the case? I think slow breaks are 90 BPM or slower and fast breaks are 105 and higher and everything in between are off limits to both of us.

gotta cut out the middle somewhere.

how about 95.6 bpm? fairer?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Dudes,

94 bpm is the perfect hip hop tempo.

Offset.

Nonset.

Dipset.

Bla-dah.

If it's dope it's dope.

p.s. i prefer fast breaks.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    I absolutely luuuve fast breaks, but when hearing some nasty midtempofeel shit with space for the kick and snare, damn that shit can be mindblowing.... My boy Scratch just told me he found an obscure version of Lean On Me with a bangin ass intro drumbreak (92 something bpm),... this kid also goes by the name BreakBeat Jesus, has stuff like the Ryttmikka lp yellow cover (Finland), so when he's telling me this new find is off the hook, I know its gonna make my ears bleed...!