what's a George Clinton show like these days

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
i got got free tickets so im going no matter what, i'd just like to what to expect...does he still got it? is he with a pretty good band?it's going to be an 'industry' show, and by industry i mean food service industry...maybe ive said too much.

Comments

• and by industry i mean food service industry...maybe ive said too much.

the part starting from 2:15:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Great clip, especially considering the venue.

That was a while ago, though. I think George is like 75 Lbs heavier, so you won't see him moving like that.

I've seen P-Funk at least 15 times, and it always varied. Sometimes you'd get a tight set with arrangements and some obscure tunes - other times the drummer would just play a beat and entire the show was a greatest hits medley.

I think it depended on who was in the band and how long they had to rehearse.

I saw Eddie play Maggot Brain. Met him, too, though I didn't realize it was him until later.

The shows pretty much always got better as they went along, with the last 1/2 hour or so being the shit.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I saw him here a couple of years ago & it was embarassingly terrible. He seemed pretty out of it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Last time I saw George and P-Funk was back in like 88 or 89. They played at the old Seattle Center Coliseum and Sir Mix-A-Lot opened the show. George and band were great. 17 people on stage w/ George with a lot of original band members. Played ALL the joints you would want to hear. This was 20 years ago though.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The last time i saw them play in Amsterdam (3 or so years ago) the band took turns leaving the stage to smoke rock downstairs.

it was a f*ckin shambles.

then again, the time before that they um, tore the roof off the same venue (Paradiso).

F*ck it, go.

• F*ck it, go.

like i said, free ticket = i'm going no matter what

i just hope it's not like this

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I saw them about four years ago at a festival in Denmark. It was amazing, but it turned out my drink was spiked with something and when peoples backs turned into faces and the shafts of light into snakes I had to go (too many people!, so I missed out on the final bit.

But what I remember was good.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    The last time i saw them play in Amsterdam (3 or so years ago) the band took turns leaving the stage to smoke rock downstairs.

it was a f*ckin shambles.

then again, the time before that they um, tore the roof off the same venue (Paradiso).

F*ck it, go.

This is pretty much it. By Parliament-Funkadelic standards, it's probably going to be pretty weak. But, it's still a P-Funk show, and free.

One of the times I saw him, maybe 10 years ago in Carbondale, Ill., at Southern Illinois University, he was smoking crack with students. It's amazing that he can still stay relatively functional with such a long-term hardcore habbit -- credit him for actually remembering most of the lyrics.

As I recall, George was thrown off an airplane (before it took off) a couple years ago because he smelled so bad.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    That smell you're referring to is tha funk

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

YES, this was my experience, same time period too. George was so cracked out he didn't even make it onto the stage until over half-way through the two hr set. When he did he simply limped around the stage, dreads dragging behind him, and groaned into the mike.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

YES, this was my experience, same time period too. George was so cracked out he didn't even make it onto the stage until over half-way through the two hr set. When he did he simply limped around the stage, dreads dragging behind him, and groaned into the mike.
    I think the 3 of us must have seen the same tour. Less than stellar.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I can confirm the crackish wackness as well. The worst part of the whole 3.5 hour experience (I left and they were still playing) was how deeply unfunky it was.

Now if you get chance to see Bootsy, do not miss it.

About five years ago a friend of mine was working on a P-Funk tour as, I think, George's assistant. A few days into the tour all of his stuff was stolen by some band and crew members, and my friend told George, expecting that George would get his stuff back for him.

George's only response was "Gotta watch your shit, man"
    as he resumed smoking some rock.