Lost Willie Bobo LP

guy_alcindorguy_alcindor 621 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I think I might have found a lost Willie Bobo & the Bo Gents LP that was pressed in Uraguay, it seems like a mix of unreleased tunes of the time and a couple tunes from the Bo Gents LP on Sussex. For example, the tunes on here called "Will Power" and "Groceries" I can't ANY info and sound like they're right off of the Sussex LP.Anyone recognize any of the tunes or know anything about this?

Comments

• never heard of it- willie bobo sure loved to put the schmaltzy song dindi on his albums though

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    "How Can I Say Goodbye" and "Dindi" are both on the "Do What You Want to Do" LP on Sussex ... I know I have heard "Inner Voice" before but don't know what album it is from.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I have this record and the versions are different from the Sussex Lp. He recorded it for A&M in 1970, but, as far as I can tell, it only came out in Uruguay. It was supposed to be titled "Gettin' Heavy".

I've had it a couple of years and have never found a mention of it anywhere on the internet. Yours is the only other copy I've heard of.

I also have a promo-only single from Argentina w/ Groceries and Hey Girl.

I just emailed Eric Correa (Willie's son) to see about reissuing it, so we'll see...

• I know that his son found some lost material in the past few years, and a reissue was released called "Lost & Found", but I don't think anything on this LP made the cut.

Wow, really crazy this kind of material only got released in, of all places, Uruguay. I guess A&M promo guys felt it was a good test demographic?

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Sickness!!! .... Now got another LP to add to the list. Im wondering if it got released in Argentina too, or if copies would be available there.... JLR?

"El disco es cultura" my new motto....

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I know that his son found some lost material in the past few years, and a reissue was released called "Lost & Found", but I don't think anything on this LP made the cut.

Wow, really crazy this kind of material only got released in, of all places, Uruguay. I guess A&M promo guys felt it was a good test demographic?

I think A&M U.S. rejected it because parts of it, like Groceries, were a little wild and other parts weren't that good.

His singing on the ballads isn't so great, but some of the psych-rock tunes are great, IMO.

Willie was popular in Uruguay and other parts of S.A., maybe that was a Southern Hemisphere test.

A rare item, in any case. I showed it and mentioned it to a number of major collector types and nobody knew/heard of it.

• casbahcasbah 57 Posts

I have this LP but I'd assumed it was simply a different pressing of an existing US A&M Bobo LP, so I never actually got round to listening to it too closely. Off to dig it out now..