SWINE FLU PANDEMIC

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
This shit scares the hell out of me.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, but the herds gotta be thinned somehow...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Well, it probably shouldn't concern most Americans given that health conditions are much much better here than Mexico - even if you catch it, the chances of it being anywhere near fatal is very small. That said, for the very young and very old, there's a heightened risk.

If nothing else, this will hopefully be very useful to predicting the path and virulence of other future pandemics.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm going to start wearing a surgical mask when I'm out and around crowds. I suggest you do the same.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Don't go humping a pig then you won't have anything to worry about!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I'm going to start wearing a surgical mask when I'm out and around crowds. I suggest you do the same.

Dont Be Soff.

• I'm going to start wearing a surgical mask when I'm out and around crowds. I suggest you do the same.

Dont Be Japanese.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!

(eventually)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Sounds like the bird-flu epidemic. (Did you get that in the US?)
    Papers were full of how it was the end of the world. All the birds were going to be whipped out etc etc.

Listening to the news is probably more of a risk to your health, than this latest nonsense.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You mean the swine flu that's killed 80? That "nonsense"?

The outbreak is real even if it doesn't portend the end of the world.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Nonsense in as much of it being a sensationalist news story.

Sorry I should have worded it better, it's just the news media annoys me.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    8 of 12 US cases in NYC = me giving the ice grill to dude with his sick kid in the elevator earlier today...

This shit does scare me, but I think its also almost certainly hyped up by the media. Outbreaks sell papers...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    A faulty electrical appliance is statically much more likely to kill you. Your not scared of your tv or toaster though are you?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im not scurred..........yet.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    every time i hear about stuff like this i think back to like 6-7 yrs ago when the media told us we all were going to die from West Nile and Encephalitis

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont think any of these "epidemics" are apocalyptic.......

yet.

Mad Cow and Auto Tune.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm waiting for the Surgical Mask Flu.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    These aren't related to swine flu, but here are two very good short films by English film maker Adam Curtis, on the subject of News and TV Journalism.

• This is definitely real and very serious, but the CDC and local health departments (and Mexico) are acting swiftly. If they squash it before it gets out of control, a lot of folks will think it was a false alarm. But really it means public health officials did their job. Shit seems to be spreading fast.

CDC said there is no reason to panic, but they do expect it to get worse.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/investigation.htm

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    this broke out when i was just in mexico. i got back to nyc, now i'm in philly and i have to work in jamaica this week. on some 12 monkeys shit right now and i feel healthy as ever! don't eat that filthy swine, people!!
    now you know!!!
    i will see your sausage thread and raise you one swine flu!

• I ate bacon twice today.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Dude we all know you don't leave your hippie music compound.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts

Dude we all know you don't leave your hippie music compound.

You have not one but 2 Orgasmotrons in your own home???? Deep!

I've been getting my Howard Hughes on lately.

8 of 12 US cases in NYC = me giving the ice grill to dude with his sick kid in the elevator earlier today...

This shit does scare me, but I think its also almost certainly hyped up by the media. Outbreaks sell papers...

8 / 8,274,527 (city proper population, not factoring in commuters, suburbanites, etc.) =

of the population of the city, or roughly one in one million.

So unless it starts spreading like crazy, I think you are safe for the moment.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

8 / 8,274,527 (city proper population, not factoring in commuters, suburbanites, etc.) =

Well if you want to do pointless math, we can also say that a full TWO THIRDS of all US swine flu cases happen within a couple miles of my home.
    !!!!!

Anyway, I'm on the subway every morning packed like sardines with people breathing on me. Pandemics in general scare me, but if you want my opinion on whether this is probably overblown, see my comments quoted above. The point is no one really knows, yet..

Well if you want to do pointless math, we can also say that a full TWO THIRDS of all US swine flu cases happen within a couple miles of my home.
    !!!!!

Anyway, I'm on the subway every morning packed like sardines with people breathing on me. Pandemics in general scare me, but if you want my opinion on whether this is probably overblown, see my comments quoted above. The point is no one really knows, yet..

Pointless math... not really. Just perspective.

2/3rds is not as good, as it is proportional. Guess what? I am in the wealthiest 1 percent of people. In my house. Of course, 2 of the people in my house are under 10 years old...

And I agree, no one really knows yet. My point was just that unless it's ridiculously contagious (like Outbreak monkey style) the instance of infection is so ridiculously small (and mortality rate nonexistant) that it's probably not a big deal.

But yes, you could wrap yourself in antiseptic and bubble wrap just in case.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    OK. My brother is on the the Pandemic Planning and International Health Regulations team in New Zealand, a country that has been hit early by this outbreak.

I just received an email from him, here are some key facts:

- It's called "swine flu" but it's nothing to do with pigs anymore - it's now a human flu. Most of the people infected haven't been near pigs.[/b]

- Because it has hit the US the media will go nuts over it, but it's probably not a major problem unless there's deaths in America.

- The term "public health emergency of international concern" (PHEIC) sounds full on, but it's mainly a legal term[/b] so signatories to the International Health Regulations are able to put the right border controls in place. i.e. if it's a PHEIC, we can stop planes on the tarmac.[/b]

- The WHO have decided to declare swine flu a PHEIC but have chosen not to raise the alert level from 3 to 4.

- If you hear the WHO has declared a pandemic stage 4, that's going to be a hassle. The scale is out of six, we have been at stage three or equiv since at least 2004 cause of bird flu (limited human to human transmission), but stage 4 means increased human to human transmission and we'll have to start border control at the airports. Means a lot of cost/hassle to world transport and trade.[/b]

- If it hits "stage 5" that's deep shit, but it'll be obvious by then. Grab your shotgun and get in the bunker.

- Bird flu is still probably the prime suspect (Egypt/Indonesia) for a future pandemic.

The flu normally jumps from bird to pig to human, but the swine flu is direct from pig to human. It's not unusual at all for pig to human flu but it's too early to tell what this one is like.[/b]

H1N1 doesn't really mean much - it's a combination of 1-8 for both H and N, which is the mutations on the surface of the virus. There's so many combinations of both (and flus come in type A, B and C (although C is never pandemic)) so that's why last year's vaccine won't work against next year's flu.

The main thing is that it's jumped from animal to person so no-one in the world has built up a natural immunity to it yet. That's also why bird flu is so bad. Also, this swine flu is infecting a lot of 25-45 year olds which is a really bad sign.[/b]

Back in 1918 it (probably) started from a bird flu, but once a lot of people got sick they built up immunity, so the virus that killed loads of people ended up being just one of the "normal" strains of flu circulating for following years.

Good idea to still get the flu vaccine but it won't protect against this one[/b] - the vaccine is made from the WHO's guess about the top three flu's circulating around the world each year, and this one is not in the mix. Another problem could be that this year was a pretty mild one for flu in the US so people may be more susceptible.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I need two of these with built-in voice modulators with auto-tune.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I watched every inch of a local high school in Queen, New York getting scrubbed down on some news clips last night. About 50 students have it, as reported by several news sources I watched last night.

My friend is a teacher at this high school, and he says it is definitely more like 300.

Only one news source (I think it was NY1) actually reported that there might be about 300 infected last night.