Eastern European Film Strut

barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I've been watching and enjoying a few Czech films recently (The Loves of a Blonde, Valerie and her Week of Wonders, Daisies, Birds, Orphans and Fools) recently and wanted some more suggestions for what else to check for.Thanks in advance...

Comments

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    For an interesting dose of stop-motion surrealist animation, check out Jan Svankmajer: Otesanek ("Little Otik")

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Found it, looks nuts. Thanks.

• For an interesting dose of stop-motion surrealist animation, check out Jan Svankmajer: Otesanek ("Little Otik")

his version of "Alice" is totally amazing!!!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Check out "Taxidermia" grom Hungary. One of the strangest and most disturbing films I've ever seen.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Was that dude shooting fire out of his dick?

Vomit Sausages?

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    If you like MF's Loves of a Blond, then you have to get Black Peter. One of my all time favorites:

Poles! Knife in the Water! Don't sleep on early Krzysztof Kieslowski either. The Decalogue series and Short films about Love and Dying.

Oh, and Closely Watched Trains too.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

emir kusturica

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Closely Watched Trains - it's hilarious.

Also, this is getting a bit obscure, but when in LA, do visit the Museum of Jurassic Technology, and plan to watch Obshee Delo/The Common Task while you're there (I don't think it's available elsewhere):
    http://www.mjt.org/recentaddtions/hrsdon.html

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    this is a great thread.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    I didn't like S??gisball (Autumn Ball) ^^ too much really-- it's pretty mediocre.

Co-sign the Kieslowskis and Kusturica (Time of the Gypsies especially).

Miklos Jancs??'s The Round Up is fantastic. He has some other good ones, but he can get a bit self-indulgent.

A couple off-the-radar picks: Orbis Pictus (Slovakia)-- great, unique story-telling from Slovakia. Spare Parts (Slovenia)-- a cool little drama.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    choreography like wow

• Poles! Knife in the Water!

Polanski's "Cul-de-sac" is one of the gretest filsm ever made, eastern european or not. check that out if you haven't already!!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Oh, also, make sure you see this before you die:

It's the only Paradjanov I've seen, but it makes me want to see many more...