Bicycles

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    do you not put straps on your pedals? i couldnt tell in the photo.

nah, but I don't ride fixed either, it's a freewheel. It's basically a 56cm BMX haha.

that Glaciers of Ice powdercoat plan sounds dope ... please make sure we see it - before and after flicks would be cool, too.

Thanks to everyone for the Masi props ... it's a sweet ride, although different enough from my Basso which I've been riding forever that I am still getting used to it and not really flowing with my usual grace.

Also, went from 172 cranks to 165 and I am really feeling the difference - especially on long flat stretches, I don't get that nice "cruise control" feeling I had with the 172s, I definitely need to work harder ...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

Also, went from 172 cranks to 165 and I am really feeling the difference - especially on long flat stretches, I don't get that nice "cruise control" feeling I had with the 172s, I definitely need to work harder ...

What gear ratio are you running and how flat is it where you live?

jaysus said:

What gear ratio are you running and how flat is it where you live?

48/16 and fairly normal, I have to climb some hills on every ride, but Boston is no San Francisco.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    So Contador wins again.

What's the cyclists view of his "Scandalous" attach on Schleck when Schleck fluffed a shift?

This, of course, in a sport akin perhaps to a woodworm-infested chair, so riddled with cheats and close to the point of collapse that it's integrity is not much more than illusion.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

This, of course, in a sport akin perhaps to a woodworm-infested chair, so riddled with cheats and close to the point of collapse that it's integrity is not much more than illusion.

^^^^^^^
    totally mayne.

I like that his winning margin was the same time he gained while attacking schleck during the mechanical, but seriously: they're all dirty enough, the teams are all mercenary all-star squads, it's just not as big an issue as people'd want it to be.

If his day-of-attack apology was really heartfelt, he should've stood at the finish line of the individual time trial and counted to thirty-nine before crossing it.

OKAY YOU FUCKIN FUCKS:
    TOMORROW. TEN TWENTY AYE EM.

THIS WILL BE DAY EIGHTY FOUR. EIGHTY FOUR DAYS WITH THESE MOTHER FUCK IN PINS HOLDING MY BROKEN BONES TOGETHER SO THEY MAY HEAL.

FUCK ALL THAT: THEY'RE HEALED. TRUST ME. LET'S FUCKING DO THIS.

I GOT SOME NEEDLENOSE PLIERS. WE'LL STERILIZE SOME X-ACTO KNIFEZ WITH A LIGHTER FIRST, YOU CUT THEM SHITS IN A X PATTERN, WE FISH AROUND FOR THE PINS, AND YOU PULL THESE OUT.

PLEASE.

LOSING MY BRAIN. MY MIND.

EIGHTY-FOUR DAYS WITHOUT THE USE OF MY LEFT ARM. AND MY LEFT HAND. PLEASE.

DYING.

PLEASE. I HAVE BEEN EATING MY SOUR PATCH KIDS, MY DIET COKES, PLEASE: LET US END THIS GARBAGE.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    OKAY YOU FUCKIN FUCKS:
    TOMORROW. TEN TWENTY AYE EM.

THIS WILL BE DAY EIGHTY FOUR. EIGHTY FOUR DAYS WITH THESE MOTHER FUCK IN PINS HOLDING MY BROKEN BONES TOGETHER SO THEY MAY HEAL.

FUCK ALL THAT: THEY'RE HEALED. TRUST ME. LET'S FUCKING DO THIS.

I GOT SOME NEEDLENOSE PLIERS. WE'LL STERILIZE SOME X-ACTO KNIFEZ WITH A LIGHTER FIRST, YOU CUT THEM SHITS IN A X PATTERN, WE FISH AROUND FOR THE PINS, AND YOU PULL THESE OUT.

PLEASE.

LOSING MY BRAIN. MY MIND.

EIGHTY-FOUR DAYS WITHOUT THE USE OF MY LEFT ARM. AND MY LEFT HAND. PLEASE.

DYING.

PLEASE. I HAVE BEEN EATING MY SOUR PATCH KIDS, MY DIET COKES, PLEASE: LET US END THIS GARBAGE.

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH.

you must be left handed?

because of my creativity and R-brainness?

it's probably packed full of drugs and "free floyd" money too!

srsly tho whoever priced that at five bucks should be kicked out of the junkin business. that fork has to be a clue...and I'm sure it was light as hell...

• chaschas 45 Posts
    Fucking Fed Ex...

So we've got this new frame coming out this year, and we got a couple samples to show off to media, etc. This is how one of them arrived.

Fed Ex dude - "Gosh, it looks damaged"

Cracked headtube + toptube

Cracked seattube + both sides of the seat and chain stays

dukeofdelridge said:
    srsly tho whoever priced that at five bucks should be kicked out of the junkin business. that fork has to be a clue...and I'm sure it was light as hell...

yeah, for real - I see the crappiest beater bikes at yard sales and they STILL want at least $10 ... $5 is just weird.

Maybe they figured the Landis connection made it 100% undesirable.

chas said:

I am inclined to agree with him.

day one hundred and six: ulnar pins removed. the other three remain, holding my scaphoid together (and to my lunate bone)...CT scan yesterday showed what xrays did not; that there is some "bone bridging" between the living and dead halves of the bone. Put on your hammerpants and pray for me. And pray for the proximal pole of my left scaphoid. For we need to bring it back to life, back to reality, so I may once again grasp a handlebar and swoop a berm.

ugh.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    chas said:
    Fucking Fed Ex...

So we've got this new frame coming out this year, and we got a couple samples to show off to media, etc. This is how one of them arrived.

Cracked headtube + toptube

Cracked seattube + both sides of the seat and chain stays

oh f*ck, that's terrible. You work for Look? They make some incredible bikes - you got the hookup? : )

Question - Arent you supposed to ship bikes unassembled? Do you think that the fact that the wheel was attached to fork could have contributed to damage?

yeah, I was wondering about that fully-assembled bike, too, but the damage is pretty hardcroe.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yeah dude, holleur if you work for look. i need me a frame of theirs. was about to buy an '09 colnago frameset yesterday but am just waiting instead.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    my work bike. newer frame i got off a trade.

• Photobucket

Been riding this.

• dukeofdelridge said:
    chas said:

ha! Yeah, that thing is worked!

Chas, is it true all the higher ends looks are built in algeria? painted and "manufactured in france"

whatevers if so, just curious as I have debating with a co worker about this. I could give a rats ass, my 585 rides pretty sweet, although it says made in france on the down tube.

the new whip: (pic not mine)

GOrilla Kilroy frame, NS fork, profile cranks, holdfast straps, atomlab bars/stem and dual 26" with 2.3s, perfect for stair gaps and jumps. :D
    Plus it comes in at around 22 lbs, strong as hell!!!
    :beerbang: :shocked:
    I know there are a lot of fixed haters in here, but just thought I'd share.

• built this bottom up yesterday - new work bike

• HairyBelafonte said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    chas said:

Chas, is it true all the higher ends looks are built in algeria? painted and "manufactured in france"

whatevers if so, just curious as I have debating with a co worker about this. I could give a rats ass, my 585 rides pretty sweet, although it says made in france on the down tube.

GOrilla Kilroy frame, NS fork, profile cranks, holdfast straps, atomlab bars/stem and dual 26" with 2.3s, perfect for stair gaps and jumps. :D

Exactly the kind of bike I want.
    I like a bike to have a decent weight so I don't feel like a strong breeze will blow me off the bike.

HairyBelafonte said:

bonus points for left hand drive!

dukeofdelridge said:
    HairyBelafonte said:

bonus points for left hand drive!

That is a tough-looking bike. I wouldn't want to pick a fight with it. The seat tube kink is making me feel drunk; it's like a bar brawler's broken nose. LHD - so it is! Didn't spot that.

I ran huge fatties on an mtb I commuted on a while back but it felt like I was sprinting with cushions on my feet when silver-fox-category guys on racers blew past. Of course it depends on your regular terrain but on 2 mile stretches of tarmac it felt like inefficiency incarnate.

That Look frame looks like deliberate...

Serious, I would be checking for truck tyre tracks on the box.

The-gaffler said:
    built this bottom up yesterday - new work bike

Gone for the single filth-prophylactic? The guy who can make sexy mudguards (Fenders for you my xAtlantic chums) will er... clean up? I reckon 29er offroad tyres cut down and fitted really snug would look passable; their rugged good-looks besting the forever dorklike concession to practicality.

• HairyBelafonte said:
    dukeofdelridge said:
    chas said:

how's the pedal clearance on that thing?

dude i know rides for gorilla. he's all over their videos and etc. i like the look of their frames a LOT but they're beyond my current price range for a new toy.

J i m s t e r said:

Gone for the single filth-prophylactic?

reminds me--crazy gearbuyer bikenerd friend was showing me his ridiculous bike stable the other day, and this turned my stomach:

a seatcover? Why does it have to look like that? Why does it even have to exist? the surface of the seat is carbon, and dude was talmbout storage or transit or UV rays or something LOLOL bikenerd!!

grody to the maxxx, at any rate. probably NSFW.

• Hairy, whip's lookin beefy. I finally got around to putting the new crankset on and snapped some photos.

img src="IMAG0061" alt="" />

img src="IMAG0062" alt="" />

• I got ahold of a decaying fuji roadbike from the late 80s/early 90s. I plan to hipster it out by powder coating the frame and converting it to a single speed.

I stripped it down and have the frame and fork to work with.

Basically, what's a ballpark figure on all the components for a decent single speed bike? All I have is the frame and fork. Quality parts but nothing exorbitant.