Bicycles

Comments

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Although I mainly stick with BMX style bikes (currently rocking an 89 Predator Freeform Mag and an 88 Predator Pro Chrome Mag ??? i???ll try to post some pics sometime) my pops has what I would guess is around a 1970 Hosteler 10 speed, I believe it???s a French bike. Anyone know anything about these bikes? Not much on the web. I think I might convert to single speed free wheel.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    just checking back in...looks like we lost some.

Oh well, there are always new ones.

ditched the Scott Ransom, a supermega boutiquey psychobike, for a brand sold in big box stores. Now I fit in:

sold the frame at a great deal for someone, just enough to flip into the deal on the DB frame. Swapped components onto it earlier this week. Rode it this morning for the first time, at the a pretty cool MTB park a half-hour out of town. It was really fun to ride bikes in the dirt again!

PRODUCT_REVIEW:
    diamondback mission 3 AM bike- it rails. I still suck, but it doesn't feel any heavier than that carbon Scott (actually rides lighter, it seems--may have to do with the center of gravity...I dunno...or my amazing strength?), the rp23 is plush as a muh, and it was a success all around.

YAY BIKES!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Whittling the collection down this Summer. Keeping the Bonty as primo off-roader, then putting my RGB Rockhopper on 700c wheels for backup commuter. Main bike is going to be this (commute is 90% road, 10% ploughed-up mess):

http://www2.merida-bikes.com/en_GB/Bikes.Detail.138

Have you gone 1 x 9? Seems wise really - I struggle to recall the last time it was granny-ring time. Surely, progress on the granny is so slow, walking is a better look. I am doing this on the Rockhopper.

Did you swap across the xt gear and fork?

Damn the front end of my mtb is heavy. Magura hydraulic rim brakes on Marzo Bombers. Like riding an anchor. I need some cheap, light sus forks. Any recs?

As Keith Bontrager says:
    CHEAP, STRONG, LIGHT - PICK TWO.

Seattle has hills. I could probably get away with one ring up front when in shape, but I get grannified pretty often...my biggest rear cog on my heavy ass Crosscheck is a 28 though...I actually want to get a triple for it, so I can pull a trailer or something.

MTB around here everyone ditches the big ring and runs a bashguard. We don't really have any long flats to hammer away on...

my bike: all those components were still in great shape, they got swapped right over. Only needed a new seat/post and a flangey type spacermans to accomodate my non-tapered fork.

I'd suggest any of these Fox forks. Air. I can only imagine how light their smaller forks are, as my 3-year-old 36 Talas there is crazy light, even how big it is... The cheap part, though...yikes: this shit is spendy...

With how long you've been at it, and what you're running now, and how good the stuff has become (my rear MECH is still crisp, a whole year later!--never thought I'd see that day), I bet you could get away with a mid-range fork and be putting heads to bed...

One day...

Work in progress on my old Rockhopper:

Beef oar:

Half tear:

that's a street ripper right there!

old friend who doesn't have bikes called me and said he wanted a bike. I gave him the stock reply "get an old mountain bike and ride it around until you want something faster...if you don't ride it around, you just saved yourself a thousand or more dollars on a bike you weren't going to ride either." Another friend had a 1/4 completed Bike Project that he'd given up on, so I cannibaliSed his frame and wheels and made this for about zero dollars (spare used and new parts on homey hookups--probably would've been around 120 dollars otherwise)...

after collecting all the needed parts, it took a couple hours to put it together...most of which was taken up messing with a strange Marzocchi suspension fork from 15 years ago (that had no standard sized anything), trying to make it work, then abandoning ship and going with a Guaranteed Tweaked cr-mo rigid fork from the basement, b00m here we go with A Bike for the dude:

It's not steel, but it'll do. Still the best bang for your buck, bike-wise: old(er) rigid MTB!

bonus points that the model is a "Wannabee," and the tYres are all freestyled-out. minus points for it's all yellow-orange and doesn't really blend into the bike rack, and may be more easily stolen... If so, we'll make another one on the cheap, and be able to find the thief just that much more quickly cuz he was all yellow...

Your friend is lucky. That's a really nice bike, any era. IIRC they are bombproof frames, can't believe he gave it away, they are not that old, no?

The only downside I see is that it says Bianchi on it, which screams "Expensive" to thieves (Pista-R). You don't see many of their MTB frames over here.

Do you ever read retrobike.co.uk? They have a thriving market in old skool parts and there's a special US-Sellers thread here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57212&sid=4c501e3001269e4d6cbd5855e02f274a

99% of my stuff comes from this site.

good link there jimster, thanks.

The bianky frankenbike is something like a 2001...it has disc tabs, etc...it does probably look more theft-worthy than I'd like, but it was fun to make and give to him...

video of the day: brittmans shreddeth

crazy trick at 4.41, I don't know where dude's body is in relation to the bars...pretty much the whole thing is crazy, including the dubstep inspector gadget song. WTF? "Exciting bass noise: check. Superstutter handfan-inducing breakdowns: check. Inspector Gadget theme: check."

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    I think the shitty weather it actually done so it's upgrade time. Nothing too crazy but there was some room in my budget for one of these guys. Ships tomorrow and I'll post pictures of my whip when it's all put together.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    shitty photo but my new jan jansen is so sweet

That looks like a gate! How tall are you? 6'4" + ?

im 1,74M

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    my girlfriends bike haha...

her brother has a store that sells them.

please tell me it's pronounced "yan yannson."

please tell me it's pronounced "yan yannson."
    that

model vuelta
    we have a dj gig set during the first etappe of the giro

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    DADDY GOT A NEW BABY GIRL

seriously, I cannot WAIT to get this thing built-up. I got headset, stem, bars, seat post, seat, wheels ...

... just need a drivetrain, front brake and lever and some tires and I'm good to g-o.

first new bike for me in over a decade! my Basso has served me well, and still does, but I NEED MY MASI NOW.

when she is street-ready, I'll post pix.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    THE IMPORTANCE OF THE COLOR OF YOUR BIKE SEAT

b/w

dope Masi frame. Can't wait to see the full build.

fabian cancellara is being accused of having an electric motor in his bike: wow.

masi is orange: nice.

bikeflip backflip:

bikeflip is like an ollie impossible, with the bike being spun around a grip...combine with backflip? comeonbrosrsly

• thought i'd add a fixed gear since there's sufficient fixey hatred up in here - my current hwhip:

prolly gonna swap out for anodized red hubs and non-machined wheel in the back as im keeping the front brake.

smoking_robot said:
    there's sufficient fixey hatred up in here

there is? this thread is ancient, so I don't remember it all that well, but it seems to me anyone that obviously understands and is into bikes was down for fixed or whatever. weekend warriors ranting about "hipsters riding bikes with no brakes!!1!!" don't really count.

nice set-up, by the way.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

git fam

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I like beach cruisers, have a few of them, including one just like this chrome one...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    batmon said:

git fam

Could you hook a brother up with a t-shirt from this event, batmon?

David Walker is your Pops, right, Batmon?

That's pretty awesome that the memorial race is on Father's Day. Wish I could attend.

I pretty much need to know what kind of bike Biz Markie rolls. Thank you in advance.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    phongone said:
    batmon said:

git fam

Could you hook a brother up with a t-shirt from this event, batmon?

No doubt...ill throw some aside and get at ya.

Can you have Biz write, "to A: keep the shiny side up," or something like that on mine? Thanks.

size L.

"No Bells" on mine, por favor Mr. W. Size L.

Hook a mug up with how to donate if I can do my bit from a-x da ponned.