Bicycles

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    made for snow and sand.

King headset on the trailer.

Tyres are Surly ENDOMORPH 26 x 3.7 - Will only fit frames designed to accommodate these sizes.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

sand drags?

wtf.

• sand drags?

wtf.

thatt schitt is murderization to the fullest. I cant wait till i get home anf get to post some of my rides...

until then.
    Fomr google:

close enough

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    previous

current

raer...?

• chaschas 45 Posts
    Chas, do you work for Look? Always wanted one, but I seem to be the wrong build for road frames, long legs but short arms, so once the seat is high enough for my legs, the hoods are too far away to be comfortable. No wonder continental types all ride road, they are the other way around. Drive an Alfa Romeo - pedals too close, steering wheel light-years away!

Yeah, been working for them about 3 years now. In the last few years a lot of companies have started making road bikes with shorter top tubes and taller headtubes to fit the long-legged/short-torsoed crowd. Most brands also have a women's specific model which is basically the same thing, but can tend to have more feminine paint jobs. Not all of them do though, so that could also be a possibility.

• chaschas 45 Posts

sand drags?

wtf.

Every February there's a mini tradeshow out in Minneapolis that is put on by the parent company of Surly - the brand that makes those big-ass tires and snow bikes. One night after the show they get everyone drunk off some midwest brew and they have races through the frozen ponds and woods around their buiding. Spectators also get pretty wasted and are not discouraged from throwing snow, ice, and sometimes shoulders at the racers.

• chaschas 45 Posts
    close enough

Nice dude. What is that? You're in the Bay right? You ever make it out to Hellyer?

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    I was an NYC bike messenger for 7 years, '87 - '95 - any other former/current messengers here?

I was a messenger for 4 years in a couple of cities in Australia, 99 - 02.. rode mountain, road and singlespeed at different times.. no fixie. I have seen some horrific injuries due to easily avoidable accidents had the rider not been on a fixie - I'm talking lost 7 front teeth, shoulder completely dislocated type of thing. Ugh.
    After a couple of years of trying out different bikes for couriering I built a mountain bike with no suspension, skinny ass tires, singlespeed on the front (52) and a road cassette on the back (12 -22). While not as fast as an actual roadbike, the durablility made it worthwhile.
    I would have kept riding for a few more years if it wasn't for DJing, for a while I did both but the ablility to earn the same money I would in a day riding in 2 hours DJing messed up my enthusiasm for riding somewhat.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts

After a couple of years of trying out different bikes for couriering I built a mountain bike with no suspension, skinny ass tires, singlespeed on the front (52) and a road cassette on the back (12 -22). While not as fast as an actual roadbike, the durablility made it worthwhile.

This is a nice set up. Do you have a picture?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was an NYC bike messenger for 7 years, '87 - '95 - any other former/current messengers here?

I was a messenger for 4 years in a couple of cities in Australia, 99 - 02.. rode mountain, road and singlespeed at different times.. no fixie. I have seen some horrific injuries due to easily avoidable accidents had the rider not been on a fixie - I'm talking lost 7 front teeth, shoulder completely dislocated type of thing. Ugh.
    I would have kept riding for a few more years if it wasn't for DJing, for a while I did both but the ablility to earn the same money I would in a day riding in 2 hours DJing messed up my enthusiasm for riding somewhat.

I took sort of the opposite approach - Free wheel on a track bike with somewhat larger tires than normal, the smallest Avocet Cross were my faves. Front brakes, later joined by rear brakes as well. Slightly small frame for my size.

I kept the tires inflated to the max and it was almost as fast as skinny tires - maybe faster on rough patches, of which there were many, many.

Yeah, I saw a lot of injuries, both chronic and accident, to riders that would have been avoided if they weren't on a fix. A friend crushed his foot and smashed his face when his laces got caught in the chain. Another dude I rode with died under a truck when he was blowing a red light. I don't know exactly how it went down, but I always wondered if he could have avoided it if he wasn't on a fix.

Careful, folks.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    close enough

Nice dude. What is that? You're in the Bay right? You ever make it out to Hellyer?

To each his own, but... I'm looking at the raised seat and drop bars and thinking you'll have back problems if you spend too much time on that bike.

I think like a messenger, though.

This is a nice set up. Do you have a picture?

the age-old commuter dilemma of beefing up a road bike vs streeting out a mountain bike. I finally gave in and went with a cyclocross frame. MTB hubs for diesel-ology, lower-psi city tires with lots of air volume to soak up bumps...I love it:

Too many hills around here to have just a big ring (52) though, especially with this heavy thing. I have done a lot with a 12-28 cassette in the back too (I think 28tooth is the biggest cog you can have with a road derailler). I find myself looking for lower gears pretty often, even with that cassette.

But yeah, I'm rarely in the big ring with this bike. A lot of people around here with this kind of bike just have a single ring up front. I should too. I should also lose the heavy steel fork...

• chaschas 45 Posts
    close enough

To each his own, but... I'm looking at the raised seat and drop bars and thinking you'll have back problems if you spend too much time on that bike.

Yeah, I feel ya. I wouldn't put in a lot of road miles on a set-up like that either, but I was thinking maybe he took it out to the track. Hellyer is a velodrome here in San Jose that a lot of people from the Bay Area ride at. The MOST you'd do in any track race is about 20km, and they usually are only 4-7km which lasts about 10 minutes.

went with a cyclocross frame.

Yeah, me too. Seems to work well. I run Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x35's on there and have not had a puncture in ages. The tyres are heavy but take the pain, whereas on 23's I was quicker up the hills but chancing my luck everytime I did the rural shortcuts. It has a triple ring on it, but to be honest, I've never used the granny ring. I could just keep the middle I guess.

I also have the other solution as a spare/change of scenery; I got a Rockhopper on slick MTB tyres and middle ring > 8 speed at the back.

Also feeling the more upright riding positions. No back problems for a while since. I guess the key is to make sure your legs can work at max power, then put the bars where you want them.

Need to get that freebie Claud Butler finished this week; the frame needs a good jetwash, lose most of the decals that are already peeling, then put some red tyres on and a few bits of purple ano to jazz it up; some cheap spd's and it's done. It'll stay locked up at work for days where it's too wet to commute but dry at lunchtime for a blast in the forest.

• close enough

Yeah, I feel ya. I wouldn't put in a lot of road miles on a set-up like that either, but I was thinking maybe he took it out to the track. Hellyer is a velodrome here in San Jose that a lot of people from the Bay Area ride at. The MOST you'd do in any track race is about 20km, and they usually are only 4-7km which lasts about 10 minutes.

This is not my bike, its the closest thing to it i could find on the web while I am out of town; I cant believe I actually got the pic posted right drunk as F*ck at like 5 in the morn...

as far as the set up, I have the same frame (Baby BLue 1997 UNO Pista, ex Keirin race frame). I have a very similar nito stem on it but w/ flat bars, so it is very comfortable to me.

My road bike, (look 585 ) has about the same geometry with the obvious differences in bb height, wheelbase, and have done several century rides with no issues.

As far as people being worried about stopping or not on a track bike, to me its a wash. You have the same size of contact patch w/ the road as a freewheeled bike so it is just a matter of not riding like an idiot (many "fixie" riders problem) and heaving your setup optimized for the street or track depending where you ride. Looking ahead and reading drivers/traffic goes a long way in avoiding accidents on any bike. This is coming from a guy with a new front row of teeth from eating his handlebars on a bmx yeeeaaaarrrs ago.

Chas-
    I havent made it out to hellyer, I have been thinking about it but have heard that the requisite sat morning beginner classes are quite the clusterfuck. my buddy came back from there a few weeks ago with scrapes all over (ALL OVER) and bent chainring/crankarm and a big scrape on his carbon fork courtesy of those, so I'm a bit reluctant.

I will take some shots of my fleet when I get home later this week.

• As promised for the people that give a damn.

My UNO Pista, ex Keirin track bike:

Woodgrain grippin.

My 1946 Schwinn Excelsior, purchased from original owner, complete with OG San Jose bicycle license tag. I added the racks, bell, leather grips, and headlight shell from an old Chinese pedicab. I love this bike, I rode it about twenty miles home at about 4 in the morning on New Years two years ago.

This is for you Chas, my Look 585 with Campagnolo Record (duh) kit:

This is a monster I made a few years ago, used to have a little 70cc motor in it

Wall Piece, too bad its too small for me

Early 80s Olmo Nuovo Super Sprint, full Campagnolo Nuovo Record with panatone chainrings, shifters, stem, post, etc.

For those that wanna know, under the rear tire is the group Jade (of paper man fame) under the front is The Black Conspirators (thanks Jinx)

1973 Schwinn Stingray Junior, also from original owner

And finally, my favorite little baby.
    1953 AMF Roadmaster Luxury Liner
    70 lbs of American iron straight from Clevland. F*ck a fixie, this thing will kill you if you cant handle teh rael.

The rest of them (yes there's more) are either a pain in the ass to pull out and shoot (AYO!!) or not as fun to look at. Hope you guys enjoyed em.

Bay urry fam that wants to go for a ride, holler.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    ^^^^^^

wow you have some nice bikes!!

this is a little big for me and i can't wear short dresses with it but otherwise i ride it all over town and i love it.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Feeling AK's LeMond and Belafonte's Loook.

Hairy - you seem to be a Campy guy...how does it compare to Shimano Ultegra/Dura?

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

• Feeling AK's LeMond and Belafonte's Loook.

Hairy - you seem to be a Campy guy...how does it compare to Shimano Ultegra/Dura?

it doesn't. Shimano is nice, but Campagnolo is better. (imo)

I liken it to driving an automatic vs a manual transmission vehicle. Diff strokes for diff folks.

I have had both, and out of the box, shimano is smoother/easier to set up. But when it breaks (and it will) you have to replace parts. You can rebuild any campy parts, shifters, freehub, brakes, etc.

Campagnolo hasa bit more teething/settling in issues, but once dialed you will never touch it for years. Plus you get more life mileage out of the parts. 4-5000 miles on a chain/cassette, 5+ seasons on a set of cables/housing.

You pay more up front, but in the end a better value. If you aren't comfortable working on it yourself, take it to a shop that knows campy. If they look unsure or tell you its junk, its because they are unfamiliar with the parts because campy bikes hardly need service. Aside from lube, I havent touched my derailleurs in years, no joke.

Plus, it's sexy.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

GT Peace 9er

Lot's of dope bikes in this thread! Wish I had all of my other rides with me at my apartment, but don't have much room. Those snow/sand bikes look cool as hell!

lost half of a little titanium cable routing bracket off the mountain bike.

supposed to be this:
    [img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8064/img4629.th.jpg]

now looks like this:
    [img=http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7295/img4632y.th.jpg]

carbon, titanium, and duc(k)(t) tape!

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    as seen in the prop 1 thread...I have a 20" XL Cannondale BMX with Techniques cranks and Kovachi wheels

my stepson has a GT mini from around 1990 or so.

I really really want a 24" S&M .38 Special, soon I will have one.

Bontrager now finished, out for blat around the local reservoir in my lunch break. I am grateful for the opportunity to do this.

Also fixed that Claud Butler

Before:

After:

MO' BOLDERER

hackmode sun coming through the campfire smoke pic:

[img=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/161/img4665r.th.jpg]

the road is washed out:

[img=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/7992/img4708n.th.jpg]

you can go around with bikes, but it's closed to motorized vehicles:

[img=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4712/img4697k.th.jpg]

I cannot imagine a bike I'd want to ride less at 75mph...white beach cruiser tires? Dude: gimme some disc brakes or something... that guy is awesome.

that's fully worth 1200 dollars.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I've been on my bike every day since Spring showed up.
    Mind dust and winter sadness were quickly pummeled.

I managed to do it, even though I was almost killed by a speeding taxi last year. I broke the windshield, knocked the light off the top of the cab and then got up.
    The cop said that if I wasn't drunk, I woulda been dead.

It really should be on a motorcycle, at least. Plus, that rear tyre seems perilously close to the exhausts...