Bicycles

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
Spring is semi-sprung, it's time for bikes again. I will ride a bike to work today (greatest benefit: avoiding Opening Day Mariners' traffic). I want you all to get on a bike in the next few days. Bike path, dirt trail, trip to the bar, whatever. Pop a wheelie if you can (ayo). Thanks.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    At first, you sounded like yr from Portland.
    But mariners = seattle. Close enough.
    Bikes are fun. everyone should have one.
    And if you think you are too broke to buy one, you can seriously find nice 10-20 yearold road bikes at thrift stores for under $50.
    Dont be a hump.
    Go for a ride.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    mr matthew: may all your gears shift flawlessly and may your shiny side stay up.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    I ride my bike a lot. It's not that fast and one of the breaks has been broken for a year, but it still does the job.

Almond: may you skid or stoppie your way (whichever is the working brake) to happiness on your two-wheeled fun machine.

bike fairy out

• Bikes are fun. everyone should have one.

Any bay urry famalam that needs bike advice, hollerate.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    for some reason i got 25 bikes i the shed. hard to pass up when i see them for a good price. used to get them to the highschool kids i worked with, but now that im not there all the time, theyre piling up.

gonna sell a bunch at the clark park flea market this weekend and buy a $500 bike trailer with the proceeds.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was an NYC bike messenger for 7 years, '87 - '95 - any other former/current messengers here?

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I ride for riding bikes

I'm on a one speed cruiser mountain bike w/ 29" tires. Seem to be the popular thing to have anymore.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    hell yeah, bikes are the best! I ride road and mountain. Here's a pic of me bustin air off a rock.

daaaaamn dude! shreddin it!

only pic i got...an old beater that unfortunately got stolen. that basket was real handy.

• damn tony, you gots some big nuts.

and of course

That's a sick bike. I dig the fenders. You could've blinged it out if it didn't get stolen.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Here's mine.

my new cruiser

these my dudes right here!

The local trails open up tomorrow (there'll be sneaux up high, but we'll see), and I'm ready to get radical. Totally radical. Bros. I just rallied the neighborhood and I'm ready for beasting on some shit.

I'll put the big double racks on the back of my bike path jobbie this weekend...

"get on yer bikes and ride!"

• I was an NYC bike messenger for 7 years, '87 - '95 - any other former/current messengers here?

Current messenger here. This winter was murderous to say the least.I peddle a total of 36 hours a week.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Heh... old mountain bikes are kind of a fetish I've had for a while. Down to just the 4 now... Thing is, there's always something you can "Upgrade" on them.

This site -> http://www.retrobike.co.uk is like the strut for bike raers.

The current gang:

1998 Bontrager, complete rebuild with red ano, inc. red ano Maguras. Red ano is the truth:

Bontrager paint (black metalflake - jyeah!):

Cannotdale in commuter form:

Cannotdale in attack form (3M reflective decals baby):

Mad 5-man bike I rode the London > Brighton on:

Newest addition (needs rebuild, with purple ano. Purple ano is also the truth):

29" Singlespeed I will do next.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=1127773&page=0

This thread from last summer may be of interest.

I have a bike, but it hasn't seen the light of day in a minute.
    I think I just need to get it tuned up to be road ready again, been thinking about it more and more lately. The weather is finally starting to get nice so maybe I'll finally get aroundtoit

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I was an NYC bike messenger for 7 years, '87 - '95 - any other former/current messengers here?

Current messenger here. This winter was murderous to say the least.I peddle a total of 36 hours a week.

Yeah, this winter must have been a bitch.

My last summer on the job we had 39 days over a hundred degrees, and the last winter I rode we had almost 6' of snow (at once). I rode through all that shit.

Too wimpy for that now, though.

berry nice!
    I knew about the "vintage bmx" scene, but early mountain bikes? Man I got a solid ass rigid trek 950 in some basement somewhere...

nah fuggit.

That last year thread is awesome. Seattle dudes- did you ever get down there to race? I know a bunch of old dudes who are into BMX with their kids...it's rad for sure...

Skateboarding beat bmx for me, but now I have more fun pretending to be a BMXer on a MTB than I do old-man-styles at the skatepark on a useless wooden toy...

my current stable has no true road bikes:

got a beastly commuter in the back there, that's for going to work and riding around...
    the yellow schwinn is for buying records and beer and bike path and sunny...
    newest insane-O mega doctorbike MTB is well: dude: I cannot have more fun on two wheels...I can pretend to be my BMX friends (sort of) while coming up short on every jump...don't worry, I got the hookup on that one.

oh yeah seattle:

Chris Martindale Edit from MACNEIL BMX on Vimeo.

ps: I see a bmx-for-nico gomez ritual in my future, for real...OHHHHHHHHH

bikes are so hot right now!!!

Mad 5-man bike I rode the London > Brighton on:

...the only acceptable use, from what I can see, of add-on bar ends...

what's the feeling on bar-ends in the retro MTB scene? I freak out on cyclocommuters when I see them...I hate bar ends and helmet-mounted rearveiw dentist mirrors more than even fixiekids...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Just grabbed my dad's old Motobecane Super Mirage. I had to put on a new seat and re-wrap the bars but it rides great. I found my wife a great 70's era Peugeot bike at goodwill for $25 too.

• I ride a 1990 black Gary Fisher mountain bike. I've raced, crashed (including a nice one that required cosmetic surgery to sew my lip back together), and dug for quite a few records with this bike.

In my mild northern california climate, I can ride 80 percent of the time, including to the lush yard weekend yard sales.

As for the quad bikes pictured above. Humboldt has a race for constructed large people-powered bikes (covered w/ sculptures) called the Kinetic grand championship. No joke, folks build automobile sized (and bigger) two-six-person buggies, cover them with art, and then race -- through water (each one has to float), down a sandy cliff, and over miles of highway.

It isn't uncommon to see people just driving around the frames on nice days.

May 23 the race kicks off -- come on up & see the 3-day party, and perhaps dig for some records.

Feelin this thread, keep the pictures of bikes coming. Feeling the pics of the mountain bikes. Here are mine:

Giant Trance X2 (full-suspension)

From New Bike

Redline Monocog single-speed 29'er (pictured here with H-Bars and Brooks saddle)

From Bike2

From Bike2

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    oh yeah seattle:

Chris Martindale Edit from MACNEIL BMX on Vimeo.

Oh my damn!

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    I love riding...and am still getting over a nasty crash from a month or so ago. Went out riding w/a bunch of friends, and came to a stop (and yelled my stop). My friend who's trying too hard to be a cool hipster was looking backwards but riding at top speed came and basically ran me over- which in turn pushed the crank into the chainstay, ate up my finger which got stuck between the asphalt and handlebars, pedals, legs, head hit the ground, yadda yadda. Thankfully a passerby saw it happen and stopped immediately and took me to the ER!

Not fun and still have weird lingering issues...pretty frustrating to get in an accident over something so preventable. But with this weather these days, it's hard to say no to riding, it's perfect for cruises!

kill all hipsters

• From Bike2

ahhhh, the best thing for that ass. I just put a honey brown one on my UNO pista a few months back, best investment I ever made.
    (dont forget to proofride it overnight, huuuuuge difference)

kill all hippies

LOL

kill em all

so whats the deal with brooks seats? i have some old ones that i dont really mess with. if they start splaying out are they remediable? wassso good about em?

i love bikes but i am far from a connosooor of parts and doodads and pimp my bike stuff. i buy em at flea markets, fix brakes, deraaiuulers, bottom brackets, etc, and ride into the sunset

no bouncing off walls and shit. but props to those who can do all that

• LOL

kill em all

so whats the deal with brooks seats? i have some old ones that i dont really mess with. if they start splaying out are they remediable? wassso good about em?

i love bikes but i am far from a connosooor of parts and doodads and pimp my bike stuff. i buy em at flea markets, fix brakes, deraaiuulers, bottom brackets, etc, and ride into the sunset

no bouncing off walls and shit. but props to those who can do all that

if taken care of properly, a brooks will last a lifetime and only an idiot would part with it. Ones that have not been cared for will dry out and crack, or disintegrate if you try to refresh them.

they get a bad rep for being to hard, but like all good things in life, you gotta work for it. If you break them in properly with proofride (tallow,beeswax,citronella,fish oil) if basic keeps he leather from drying out and displaces water so they last forever and get as soft as glove leather.

As you break them in, the saddle will start to naturally give where it needs to (bony butts) and stay firm where you need it. If you spend a lot of time in the saddle, they custom mold to your ass. great for touring, casual riding, kinda heavy for most racers.

DO NOT RIDE A BROOKS WITH A WALLET IN YOUR BACK POCKET UNLESS YOU PLAN ON DOING SO FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS. Trust me.

They have been making this saddle for almost 150 years, so they got it down.

I havent bounced offwalls in ages, esp not with my carbon fiber knuckle,

Tony, will a brooks fit your vegan lifestyle?