why do you dig? How do you dig?

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I'm sure this has been handled on the strut, but i think it's been a while.It started out for me as a very affordable way to find out about a lot of music. Dollar records from thrifts, garage sales, flea markets, rummage sales, pawn shops, ads in the paper, et cetera. Its still pretty much the same, except I have a much bigger knowledge base, so I don't reeally wind up with much turdage. These days, hitting the field is more of a spiritual thing though. Its a treat that I don't have often, and its really meditative to be sorting through endless boxes of shit, alone, with no real expectations. Helps me keep the rest of my life sorted--kinda. I buy for samples more than I buy for music to listen to.If I go to record stores its pretty much just to trade stuff. I'll buy one or two records occasionally, but only to pick up specific wants. If I'm gonna spend money on records (not in the field) its usually at a record show. I like the experience of getting lost for a few hours. I don't collect hardcore. I have my little personal archive that I'm building, that tells a story about the history of music, but I'm not really on the hunt for any grails.Word.

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'm sure this has been handled on the strut, but i think it's been a while.

It started out for me as a very affordable way to find out about a lot of music. Dollar records from thrifts, garage sales, flea markets, rummage sales, pawn shops, ads in the paper, et cetera. Its still pretty much the same, except I have a much bigger knowledge base, so I don't reeally wind up with much turdage. These days, hitting the field is more of a spiritual thing though. Its a treat that I don't have often, and its really meditative to be sorting through endless boxes of shit, alone, with no real expectations. Helps me keep the rest of my life sorted--kinda. I buy for samples more than I buy for music to listen to.

If I go to record stores its pretty much just to trade stuff. I'll buy one or two records occasionally, but only to pick up specific wants. If I'm gonna spend money on records (not in the field) its usually at a record show. I like the experience of getting lost for a few hours. I don't collect hardcore. I have my little personal archive that I'm building, that tells a story about the history of music, but I'm not really on the hunt for any grails.

Word.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    don't start none won't be none

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    why do you dig?

because my father never loved me.

how do you dig?

I've never looked in the mirror while digging, but my buddies tell me that my digging stance is really gay.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i love music. it is the only hobby i have. only thing i can do alone that makes me feel at ease. even if i dont end up buying anything.

i used to go to stores a lot. now i just hunt for personal collections. that has been treating me well as of late.

mostly i look for my own stash. i have been selling a lot more lately too.

its just pure fun for me.

and ive caught myself standing all gay once or twice Jonny so dont feel bad. my hip cocked to the side and shit

I WAS JOKING DUDE I JUST HAVE A WIDE STANCE

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm actually considering getting rid of most of my records. its a thought anyways.

You have records?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Awesome thread.
    I dig with a feather duster up my ass.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Oh and I dig because my father beat me with Firestone Christmas LP's.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    my buddies

is really gay.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You have records?

I think we knew this.

What's astounding is the idea that anybody else might want them.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    You have records?

I think we knew this.

What's astounding is the idea that anybody else might want them.

I believe you're underestimating the burgeoning easy listening/banjo record market.

Well, there's this dealer down in San Diego who I hear buys everything, even total junk. But I'm not sure if him and Gary get on so well these days...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    DIGALULZ

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Well, there's this dealer down in San Diego who I hear buys everything, even total junk. But I'm not sure if him and Gary get on so well these days...

Hm, I wouldn't call "Thrift Trader" a dealer....

http://www.yelp.com/biz/thrift-trader-san-diego

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    from 2005:

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there???s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to be cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    I WAS JOKING DUDE I JUST HAVE A WIDE STANCE

liar. you dig on yer knees with yer ass in the air like a cat in heat ha.

• And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    samples...then I discovered so much good stuff out there...just from listening and finding stuff that may not be suited for samples....this is how I grew to love prog...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Why do you dig?
    It's like a washing machine for my brain.

How do you dig?
    Like the seller owes me money
    b/w
    Like a Bawse!
    (had to)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.[/b]

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Recently I have been digging with a blindfold on....

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    Why do you dig?
    It's like a washing machine for my brain.

How do you dig?
    Like the seller owes me money
    b/w
    Like a Bawse!
    (had to)
    Funniest thing I've heard all day! Hahahaha!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    from 2005:

Well, first I like to have something to eat. Something light, because by the time I???m done, I like to be ready for a big meal. You know, there???s nothing like record-shopping and then having really good Indian/Thai/West Indian food. I have to have had a coffee, because if it???s going to be cut-throat, I have to be sharp.

I case the joint as soon as I walk in. Look for potential competition, sections, new arrivals, listening station, possible sharp corners that my jacket might get snagged on.

Who???s working the counter? Pretentious, young whipper-snapper, wants to be the next Shadow type? Bitter, crusty, partied with the Dead, hates all customers type? Will talk your ear off, psych rock/girl-group-loving, stoner type? Make eye contact, smile, but do not engage them right away ??? there???s work to be done. Maybe ask if I can put my bags behind the counter if the policy is not already there.

Get list out and refer to it now and then. Do not put it out where everyone can see it or so that it gets in the way of others.

Now dig. Ask questions as they arise.

If there???s a lot of people waiting to listen and I have like 10 or more things I want to listen to, I???ll do it in threes and fours. It sucks waiting for a long time for the turntable.

Divide into love it, not sure and put back. See how much the love its come to, decide on the not sures (maybe re-listen) and then put back the put backs.

*VERY IMPORTANT: Do not touch face or rub eyes whil digging. It's so dirty.

Small talk while paying. Possibly more if have a relationship with him/her. Don???t forget stuff from behind the counter.

Decide what I feel like eating. And never ever forget to wash hands once at the restaurant.

Hey Bassie,

Your passage aptly sums up my diggin steez (sans the Indian food). Afterwards, I usually go out for some soul food (Deltas; New Brunswick, NJ), Italian (Steve's Pizza; Somerset, NJ [The place where I dwell...]), seafood (Salt Creek Grille in Princeton, NJ), or hit the Tastee Sub Shop out in North Brunswick.

Oh yeah, to keep my mits clean during my excavations, I roll with this:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak