ebay purchase related: what does this message mean

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
So I bought a record and payed via paypal and I get this message back."Thanks for the fast payment. Unfortuantely I can't send your records out until paypal takes a hold of my funds the only way you can do something about this is providing postive feedback. I just need to do this for one item. Thanks."I'm not understanding what this means. Anybody?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    EDIT: see poasts below

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    "You have been jerked. Thank you come again."

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Tell dude to send your record in a timely manner or you will be forced to leave negative feedback.

• CONCEITCONCEIT 145 Posts
    I say write paypal like yesterday.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I say write paypal like yesterday.

NOW dude! The msg you got is pure 100% unadulterated scam.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    That means that eBay put a 21 day hold on the funds you sent him and in order for them to get released, 21 days need to pass or you need to leave positive feedback. If their feedback is straight and there's a cheaper record that you would feel comfortable taking a loss on, leave feedback saying that you received that record so the funds can get released and he can ship.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    absolute horseshit put the seller's name on here.

if this plays out like I hope it doesn't, I will. Not a high powered seller, had a feedback score of 6.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    That means that eBay put a 21 day hold on the funds you sent him and in order for them to get released, 21 days need to pass or you need to leave positive feedback. If their feedback is straight and there's a cheaper record that you would feel comfortable taking a loss on, leave feedback saying that you received that record so the funds can get released and he can ship.

so why would they put a hold on his funds? Too low feedback score? Seems unusual. I've never had that problem the few times I've sold on ebay.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I don't know what pattern of behavior/feedback score triggers the hold on funds but I've had this problem a few times in the past few months and the advice I gave above was the only way I found a way around it. I called Paypal and they claimed that there was no way to release the funds without doing the recommended steps above. Dude definitely could have made his message a bit more professional but I don't think you have very many options.

It's complete bullshit on Paypal's fault and I doubt it protects nearly as much people as it completely pisses off people but it doesn't seem like they're going to get rid of it anytime soon.

• I buy and sell lots of guitar pedals on eBay, and this new "on hold" thing seriously pisses me off: You already had to wait 7-10 days to draw down cleared funds to your personal account, now you have to wait up to 28 days if you've got a deadbeat buyer who buys and then never visits eBay again to leave FB - I used to get irritated by sellers who insist on no "first-time buyers" bidding (if everyone did this, how do you get started?) but I'm considering it now.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which items get put "on hold", either. It's not ca$h value, overseas buyer, or feedback rating. I was already annoyed that you cannot leave negative feedback to crappy buyers, it just got lots worse as a seller...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Whoa so this is Paypal's doing? Wow, I've never heard of this, strike down my earlier comment. Does this happen with the premium accounts or only with new ones? Somehow I'm guessing that once you've moved a lot of money reliably through Paypal this doesn't happen, but from what Brian said it sounds quite arbitrary.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Whenever I sell stereo equipment on der 'bay I get this warning as well. Basically claim they're going to hold the funds in escrow until the buyer is satisfied but they've never actually held a payment yet (knock on wood).

• Basically claim they're going to hold the funds in escrow until the buyer is satisfied but they've never actually held a payment yet (knock on wood).

They do hold funds sometimes - It's happened to me twice, once for a $200+ item sold to a Scandinavian buyer, once for a $60 pedal, local buyer. Both times, I just emailed the buyer explaining the deal and asking nicely if they'd please remember to leave feedback the minute they got the item: They both did. If a seller told me s/he would not ship until feedback was recived, however, I think I'd be super-suspicious and would be complaining to eBay and tthreatening to leave a negative straight away (unless, of course I was desperate for that uber-raer)...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Wow, this is ultra retarded. So does paypal actually expect people to ship things while they hold the payment in escrow?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I recently started a thread asking if I should sign up for paypal.

Everyone assured me that no one ever has a problem with paypal.

I was told that paypal was always fair, never arbitrary.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I actually said otherwise in that very thread.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Um, I remember that thread and your recollection of it is completely false.

• paypal are worse than useless sometimes, their ridiculous fees that come out of nowhere and they're shit slow in transferring money to your bank account but will take it out real quick. Best to do payments by bank transfer if its people you trust (i.e. not people on ebay most of the time) or cheque (slow but at least no fees)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm not familiar with any long time to transfer funds - when I withdraw funds they're generally available within 2 business days.

Maybe you guys just need to get your weight up!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Um, I remember that thread and your recollection of it is completely false.

OK.

Communication can be a strange thing.

• guys. i just have to say if you call paypal on the phone and explain your situation they are very very quick to solve problems.
    peace, stein. . .