~~Does the Strut Ride for Hugh Masekela?~~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited April 2009 in Strut Central
I picked up his reconstruction LP this weekend and I'm really feeling it.After I listened to reconstruction I pulled this one out of the archives and realized I was also sleeping on this.Checking the strut collective consciousness on this. Essential or tepid or ?Where does hugh fall?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I like to imitate the Grazing in the Grass intro with spoons and pans. That 45 is essential IMO

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Hell yes. I ride for pretty much all of the UNI/Blue Thumb material. Great cheap records.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i ride hard for introducing the hedzoleh soundz & i am not afraid is alright. the boy's doin it & colonial man are both worth picking up, although they're not amazing. i definitely wouldn't say tepid, but not facemelting either.

hedzoleh soundz is really good though imo.

• although he has a few clunkers (anything herb albert related) i would definitely ride for hugh masekela- i think his most successful albums are "the boy's are doing it" and "home is where the music is".

here is the afro-beat themed "ashiko" from the former:

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    I ride. One of the "gateway" artists that made me want to dig deeper when I started colecting.

• "Bajabula Bonke (Healing Song)' is the sh*t...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Always enjoyable.
    Grassing In The Grass.

Home Is Where... is very slept on.

As a jazz trumpeter I don't rate him with Miles or Dizzy, but his records tend to be enjoyable listens.

i ride hard for introducing the hedzoleh soundz & i am not afraid is alright. the boy's doin it & colonial man are both worth picking up, although they're not amazing. i definitely wouldn't say tepid, but not facemelting either.

I don't think he plays on Hedzoleh Soundz.

They were an afro beat group that he "introduced" to the states.
    From Nigeria, if I am wrong then they are from Ghana.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

• Always enjoyable.
    Grassing In The Grass.

Home Is Where... is very slept on.

As a jazz trumpeter I don't rate him with Miles or Dizzy, but his records tend to be enjoyable listens.

His early stuff on MGM is quite good. He does a slow version of 'Mas Que Nada' that is excellent.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Metro Area Dub of "Mama"...

• As a jazz trumpeter I don't rate him with Miles or Dizzy, but his records tend to be enjoyable listens.

agreed, but he does have a really unique tone and i think he could pull off some of the more polished, complex stuff. here's another track from that album that i think really shows what he was capable of doing on the trumpet. btw-i also recently rediscovered him.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Hugh rocks. He played here last winter and I had to miss him cuz my daughter was puking.... bummed me out.
    One of his best is:

on Blue Thumb. Cosine Hedzoleh Soundz ... and I like alot of the Uni stuff, though it's more staight up jazz

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

that's definitely him playing on there, no question. sounds just like him. there's no explicit trumpet credit in the liners, only the members of hedzoleh are credited, but there's no trumpeter in the group and there's prominent trumpet on every track - definitely him.

they were from ghana, although the album itself was recorded at the emi studios in lagos. and masekela was first introduced to them by fela, who used to see them all the time at the club in ghana where they were the house band. fela would play there sometimes as well, got to realize they were the shit, and when masekela came to africa looking for an "authentic" band to back him on some new, rawer albums, fela had just the band in mind for him.

hedzoleh soundz are also his backing band on "i am not afraid" and "colonial man".

p.s. "you told your mama not to worry" on casablanca is good too.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This has some great moments on it. "Ade" is my shit.

that's definitely him playing on there, no question. sounds just like him. there's no explicit trumpet credit in the liners, only the members of hedzoleh are credited, but there's no trumpeter in the group and there's prominent trumpet on every track - definitely him.

they were from ghana, although the album itself was recorded at the emi studios in lagos. and masekela was first introduced to them by fela, who used to see them all the time at the club in ghana where they were the house band. fela would play there sometimes as well, got to realize they were the shit, and when masekela came to africa looking for an "authentic" band to back him on some new, rawer albums, fela had just the band in mind for him.

hedzoleh soundz are also his backing band on "i am not afraid" and "colonial man".

p.s. "you told your mama not to worry" on casablanca is good too.

Ok, I'm convinced.

• One of his best is:

hell yes.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Sure do. I saw him two times last year: one time at the Skirball Center and one at the Catalina Jazz Club. After the later, he signed my copy of his first LP (Grrr...) and, at the same time, I met Janet DuBois.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

One of his best is:

hell yes.

He had many great records. To not ride for Masekela is to never have listened to Masekela.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I ride.

Home is Where... is great as is Masekela.

• http://www.thefilter.com/Music/Hugh-Masekela/The-Promise-Of-A-Future/14163413-Stop

^^^^
    First song I ever sampled. Looped it and threw the Harry Nilson drums behind it.