MOS DEF on Bill Maher

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I usually stay as far away as possible from hip-hop and politics discussions here but I saw this last night on HBO and was truly embarassed for Mos Def. He had Solomon Rushdie and Christopher Hitchens on as panel members along with Mos. I had to turn it off because everytime Mos Def spoke or inturuppted I wanted to pull my hair out.Did anybody else see this? Mos is not doing anybody any favors with his method of delivery; whether you agree with what he is trying to say or not. This sums it up.http://darklydreamingdavid.wordpress.com...from-real-time/

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Mos is not doing anybody any favors with his method of delivery;

Rats, was he singing instead of rapping again? And dare I ask, was it with a live band?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    That was embarrassing to watch.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I thought it was interesting to a point, and what did the other guy say, "can I call you Mr. Definitely?" or something to that effect.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mos is not doing anybody any favors with his method of delivery

I dont see where his method of delivery was suspect.

Hitchens seemed to want Mos Def to speak in Academic terms and then put words in dudes mouth like he never heard of the Media's description of Bin Laden & them.

Rushdie was the only dude that didnt look asshurt.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Interrupting and talking loudly over somebody does not mean your point is more valid.

I thought he came off looking like an idiot. I would not want him being an activist for any cause I was supporting.

Interrupting and talking loudly over somebody does not mean your point is more valid.

I thought he came off looking like an idiot. I would not want him being an activist for any cause I was supporting.

Hitchens was the idiot.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    Hitchens is a smart guy and I enjoyed God is Not Great....but there's no doubt he's also an ass. That being said, Mos Def didn't need Hitchens to make him look ignorant he did that on his own.

I like Real Time but minus the actors/musicians/celebrities. Imo, Ben Affleck is more painful to watch than Mos Def and D.L Hughley fell somewhere in the middle....yet CNN gave him his own show, hilarious. The problem is not that these folks are stupid, but just that they are not in the same league as the rest of the panel when it comes to being knowledgeable about world issues.

Actually, the bigger problem, from the viewers standpoint, is that I'd guess that a majority of people who watch Real Time are equally if not more informed than the celebrity guests. SO really, what are they bringing to the table? I've yet to see any of them hold their own, or even come close.

Hitchens is a smart guy and I enjoyed God is Not Great....but there's no doubt he's also an ass. That being said, Mos Def didn't need Hitchens to make him look ignorant he did that on his own.

Wait - so Mos Def is the ignorant one, while "Smart" Hitchens continually put words in Mos Def's mouf?

There something im not getting here.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I think Mos is generally an assclown. But I also didn't see much of a problem with how he conducted himself here.

• you think mos came off like a champ ?

mos came off like a loudmouth. louder and louder. at best he was comedic. providing the audience with a few laughs. somebody quoted obama, about knowing what it is your talking about before you get into it. he basically says he doesnt believe anything, not from cnn, not from books, not from experts...soooooo last i knew, mos certainly has never been to any of the countries talked about, to get 1st hand info/ experience, never had an assassination attempt on his life for writing rhymes and so on.

on a panel with 2 men who have far more knowledge on these topics then mos does....and his points were just off. peep bill's reactions to them. on some..okaaayyy then. next.
    dude needs to stick to music and acting.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

dude needs to stick to music and acting.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Like I said, I think Mos is a clown... I just didn't think he was *more* of a clown on this show.

• I think Mos was like a clown too. I haven't been feeling him since 2000.

• Hitchens can be a bully and revels in confrontation, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he is incredibly knowledgeable on the topic being discussed.

It became obvious that Mos Def didn't know what he was talking about and was only compounded the the fact that he drifted into paranoia against the media and finally paranoia regarding the setup of the panel.

Cringeworthy.

Mos Def "Don't start no shit.. I'm from Brooklyn"
    Hitchens "Mr. Definitely - I'm from Hampshire"
    Mos Def "I like to think on my own..."
    Hitchens "We're just waiting to see evidence that you do that"

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I've yet to see any of them hold their own, or even come close.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    There seems to be no shortage of idiots joining Maher's guest list. Why single out Mos Def?

The New Rules are funny about half the time, otherwise that's a Real Waste of Time.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    his show has been pretty bad this season i think
    the new rules especially have been way more hit than miss imo.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    You can see the 'jokes' in his monologues coming from a mile away. Apart from that, I enjoy the rest of the show. Except when Mos Def's on it.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Mos Def behaves way better than the Mclaughlin Group. Not even like this is a serious show. Y'all got sand in your vaginas.

• 10 to 1 , somebodys publicist was a bit heated.