Brazilian music shopping NYC?

JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I'm going to be in New York next week & I'm looking for Brazilian records, which are thin on the ground out here in Seattle. Any suggestions? Does anyone stock this stuff? I remember the last time I was at the Sound Library they didn't have much to get excited about.Jonny, you guys have anything I need to come check out?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah, we've definitely got a few things. PM about anything in particular.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

I'll just drop by next week and take a look... are you working every day?

Also I've got fingers crossed for a sudden temperature drop in the next five days.

I'll just drop by next week and take a look... are you working every day?

Also I've got fingers crossed for a sudden temperature drop in the next five days.

Temp broke today. It is beautiful outside.

I am in the shop pretty much every day but Thurs and Sun are technically my "days off"...

Cool, thank you. Is there anyplace else in town I should check? A1? Academy? Does the Sound Library have more stock nowadays?

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    I think Greg Caz (who did those samba/funk mixes that turntablelab hawks) still works at Academy. They don't have tons of Brazilian records on the floor, but they have some... don't know how much of the really hot stuff makes it out in the bins, but Academy's part of the LES Record Store Circuit so you wouldn't exactly be going out of your way.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    Not that you shouldn't visit Jonny first, of course

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Cool, thank you. Is there anyplace else in town I should check? A1? Academy? Does the Sound Library have more stock nowadays?
    'good records' definitely has the best brazillian section i've seen in manhattan.

Cosign Academy. Definitely go see Greg, those dudes know their Brazilian stuff and there's some decent stock going through there. You might want to check the Brooklyn annex if you have time, different stuff there. A-1 is good but I don't know what kind of stuff they have, Brazilian-wise...

TSL really doesn't do Brazilian... maybe it's about the condition that most Brazilian records are in? Don't know.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    yo, Johnny P. Good!!

i got nothing to say, i just wanted to coin this clever potential nickname.

but, um, do you guys have Baden/Vinicius AfroSambas on Forma?

TSL really doesn't do Brazilian... maybe it's about the condition that most Brazilian records are in? Don't know.

Yeah, I brought them a pile of trade stuff a couple of years ago... nice tunes, but they didn't take anything due to condition. And honestly they weren't too bad for Brazilian records.

Yeah, I brought them a pile of trade stuff a couple of years ago... nice tunes, but they didn't take anything due to condition. And honestly they weren't too bad for Brazilian records.

Hey, bring 'em to me!

I have stuff like Cicatrices and Antonio Carlos & Jocafi that is marked down because of condition. It plays great, and will make someone very happy... condition is relative for Brazilian records. I'd rather have good records in off condition than none at all.

Also, I'm definitely going to the Black Betty Sunday night with Greg Caz... any other music recommendations? I have no real schedule except MOMA on Friday, catching the train up to Dia:Beacon Saturday, and meeting friends during the week.

Hey, bring 'em to me!

I have stuff like Cicatrices and Antonio Carlos & Jocafi that is marked down because of condition. It plays great, and will make someone very happy... condition is relative for Brazilian records. I'd rather have good records in off condition than none at all.

Actually I need a copy of Cicatrices... mine is a busted flea market copy and has a skip midway through the best track. I'll look and see if I've got anything left. I sold most of that stuff to Jive Time, our local 'boutique' used record store. Some of the Chico Buarque and Maria Bethania records are still sitting over there...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I never find any good brazilian records in stores in NYC. Maybe the stuff I want just isnt there.

I never find any good brazilian records in stores in NYC. Maybe the stuff I want just isnt there.

Eh, life could be worse - try finding them almost anywhere else in the States.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    I guess thats true. I just buy them from sellers in Brazil and have them ship them every few weeks or so so that I dont pay a lot for shipping. There are a few that are very reliable, and thats the only place I find the stuff I really want.

I guess thats true. I just buy them from sellers in Brazil and have them ship them every few weeks or so so that I dont pay a lot for shipping. There are a few that are very reliable, and thats the only place I find the stuff I really want.

Yeah, I think that's what everybody does... but I hold out hope that there's somewhere in North America where I can cop a few pieces without paying USD$14 airmail. In my dreams, my monthly contributions to the Brazilian government via the postal service are funding a neighborhood electrification scheme somewhere in Pernambuco.

I'm going back down next spring for some capoeira workshops. Looking forward to getting a bunch of cheap MPB stuff that I can't justify paying shipping for.