1099 form scare (CA tax related)

ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
I figure that there must be quite a few people here in the state who have a side gig either EBay selling or being a DJ, or at the very least had to fill out a 1099 for whatever reason in the past two years. Here's the story with me: Last night I opened my mail and saw this AB63 Estimated Assessment form indicating that I, at first thought, owed 4 grand and some change because of a business owners' tax that went deliquent. Today; after leaving work early, driving to the Van Nuys Courthouse's Tax & Permit office without an appointment and finding out through several people telling me that this is just an estimate of what I will owe if I don't respond to them, I learned that I need to clear this up by mail. I have to tell them that I am indeed not a business owner or have a hustle outside of conventional employment. You see, two years ago, I had a summer job at an electrical company doing basic admin, inventory and helping out with small tasks at jobsites. My boss was unsure of whether to pay me through the local union or through the office. He chose the former and, as it seems on the old pay stubs, they payed me on the bankroll through a subcontractor with no/minimal tax deductions. I went to go to H&R Block to set it straight professionally during 2008, since it wasn't an ordinary tax issue (in my usual, personal case, at least). I'm hoping that certify mailing a manilla envelope of my tax return of 2007 and a filled out explanation return form will sort this out. Has anyone had this issue? I'm sure that they bulk mailed them out on Monday.

Comments

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Your avatar fits surprisingly well with that previous post.

b/w

Good luck

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Henry Silva would break tough cop Bert Reynolds' fingers and kick ass for people pouring coffee on his shoes for less than this shit. Although I should change it soon. Gun-related avatars make me seem overly confrontational...haha

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You see, two years ago, I had a summer job at an electrical company doing basic admin, inventory and helping out with small tasks at jobsites. My boss was unsure of whether to pay me through the local union or through the office. He chose the former and, as it seems on the old pay stubs, they payed me on the bankroll through a subcontractor with no/minimal tax deductions. I went to go to H&R Block to set it straight professionally during 2008, since it wasn't an ordinary tax issue (in my usual, personal case, at least). I'm hoping that certify mailing a manilla envelope of my tax return of 2007 and a filled out explanation return form will sort this out. Has anyone had this issue?

Did you pay a lot of money in taxes on that subcontracting work after the fact? Cuz if not, you probably do owe 4 G's.

I worked a very minor side job as a sub several years ago. For what couldn't have been more than a handful of days a year the taxes added up fast, and I was surprised at how much I had to pony up come tax time.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Did you pay a lot of money in taxes on that subcontracting work after the fact? Cuz if not, you probably do owe 4 G's.

I worked a very minor side job as a sub several years ago. For what couldn't have been more than a handful of days a year the taxes added up fast, and I was surprised at how much I had to pony up come tax time.

To be honest with you, I don't know. I'm sure they took out state and federal. I didn't get any health insurance. But I did get a significantly lower refund last year, though, because of it. It had to be solved last year, right?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    if you worked a job where you were paid in a non-taxed (contract/freelance) type situation then you definitely owed money and shouldn't have received a refund. Maybe they did take taxes out though. You should probably know these things.

How much did you make? If you made over 12,000 in non taxed wages than you probably do owe around 4,000. Did you get personal checks or pay stubs? If your boss was on the level than he should have sent you a 1099 misc form. As far as I know, 1099s are things you get, not something you fill out yourself. You fill out a schedule C on your taxes, but the 1099 isn't something you do yourself.

are you worried about your fed taxes or state?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    How much did you make? If you made over 12,000 in non taxed wages than you probably do owe around 4,000. Did you get personal checks or pay stubs? If your boss was on the level than he should have sent you a 1099 misc form. As far as I know, 1099s are things you get, not something you fill out yourself. You fill out a schedule C on your taxes, but the 1099 isn't something you do yourself.

1099s are for a variety of things like earned interest or other miscellaneous income (depending on which you would get a 1099-misc or 1099-int or whatever). As far as I know as well he would just fill in the "other income" portion of his income tax return. That's one somebody would do if they claimed, say, garage sale income or something of that nature.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Adding on to my previous post, it seems weird that he would have his income reported (by the union, employer, whatever) yet he wouldn't receive a tax document (from the union, employer, whatever).

Again, as far as I know he should either have had his income reported and received a tax doc (whatever form) to file with, or it would've been left up to him to file, in which case they could just just be stalking him thinking he's still doing side work - assuming he filed it that way.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I would hire a CPA. Never H&R Block, they almost cost me $2000 one year.