School me on Azymuth

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited March 2009 in Strut Central
Beyond the first album, I've slept on these cats. Is the first LP the hardest to come by? What else is good?

Comments

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

I like the whole album "Light as a feather" (1979).

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Their albums can be hit or miss with me. Each album though definitely has some heat on it.

Albums worth checking for:
    "Light as a Feather"
    "Cascades"
    "Telecommunication"
    "??guia N??o Come Mosca"

Azymuth backs Valle on this one and is totally worth checking out:

There's a couple other of theirs from the 80s that I haven't heard. I remember listening to a newer one, "Brazilian Soul" from the '00s that was actually pretty good (I think). That was a few years ago though.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Most of their stuff is worth checking out, generally earlier the better though their later albums have some boogie-type cuts that Pierre is kinda into. Their first LP on Som Livre is the best. Their pre-album EP is the rarest. There is some other exploito-ish stuff that is basically them uncredited, but none of it has really blown me away. I didn't really like any of their 90s albums, but the collab between Madlib and Ivan Conti was actually pretty good because Conti plays the drums while Madlib does a lot of drugs and makes strange noises. All of the musicians, and incarnations of the band, play on lots of other brasilian records, but don't expect quite the sound of that first LP

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The Ana Mazzotti on Top Tape from '74 is pretty great.

• the azymuth players also did that soundtrack O Fabuloso Fittipaldi (it was a movie about a brazilian racing car driver i think) and they backed ana mazzotti on her s/t LP thats reissued by whatmusic.com. Their first album isnt as hard to come by as its made out to be by its ebay prices, the OG shouldn't set you back more than $50 and there was a reissue by Joe Davis' far out label which was a very high quality reissue albeit in limited numbers.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    first lp is the best. the rest is hit or miss like others said already. azymuth backed up a lot of people in the 70's on other albums. some that are worth checking are : ana mazzotti, silvio cesar and helio matheus to name a few. other than that i like the dear limmertz 12" that came out in the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdsnbkg2bmM

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    12" of Dear Limmertz is indeed THE jam.
    both sides actually.

• if you want a good overview of all their stuff they did up until the mid 80s then cop this:
    Best Of Azymuth

their output is a little bit variable but lots of it can be found in dollar-bins or thereabouts.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    both sides actually.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Their first album isnt as hard to come by as its made out to be by its ebay prices, the OG shouldn't set you back more than $50 and there was a reissue by Joe Davis' far out label which was a very high quality reissue albeit in limited numbers.

I've got the reissue which is excellent. Audio is taken from the master tapes, but the cover is sans gatefold. I'll take an OG for $50. Who's got it for me?

Besides the S/T, I like the sophomore LP on Atlantic and the two first Milestone LPs.

What is that first 7" EP like? I always wondered about that one.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    they did a lot of amazing movie soundtrack and brazil tv stuff which sounds like nothing else and you can find that on brazilian tv comps sometimes, and the Azymuth tracks are always the standout ones. Incidentally i posted that i found telecommunication just yesterday in the midweek find thread and it's real nice.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    both sides actually.

There wasn't a US release of this was there?

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    it's S/T first, then Outubro LP second, then Light as a Feather for me

Bertrami was quite the raver in his day

Latest LP on far out floats my boat as well

Also "Friends From Rio" LP they did (with yellow, blue, green stripe on cover)

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Here's the UK press

• theres a crazy dude on ebay trying to sell the dear limmertz 12" for ??80! its good but nowhere near that raer.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I need a definitive Top 10.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    Word I have some digging to do. I think I passed on a copy of "Telecommunication" the other day, I'll have to see if I can go back to the spot and cop it.

Thanks for the

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Looks like they had a lot of 80s Milestone LPs. I've only heard a couple of them and would be scared to check out others based on those, BUT I've been looking for Outubro ever since I heard "Limmertz" on a comp many years ago and have never seen it...

• I'll take an OG for $50. Who's got it for me?

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    the azymuth players also did that soundtrack O Fabuloso Fittipaldi (it was a movie about a brazilian racing car driver i think) and they backed ana mazzotti on her s/t LP thats reissued by whatmusic.com. Their first album isnt as hard to come by as its made out to be by its ebay prices, the OG shouldn't set you back more than $50[/b] and there was a reissue by Joe Davis' far out label which was a very high quality reissue albeit in limited numbers.

I beg to disagree.
    In 15+ years of digging I only saw it once and it was on the $150+ range.
    I'd gladly pay $60 for your copy, though.

Peace

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts

Please explain Azymuth-Relatedness or delete.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Everything that's been mentioned - plus:
    I'm sure there's a 'Live At Copacabana' album, but I've only ever seen it on CD. I'm pretty sure it would have come out on LP too, but has anybody ever seen a copy?
    Cheers,
    Tom

• i beg to disagree
    really!?! in the last year or two ive seen it pop up quite a few times over here. Anyway if you cant grab an OG of it just get the reissue cos my OG certainly aint for sale!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Here's the UK press

I need a copy of this for real

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Yeah, it never shows up here.
    I'll look for the reish.
    Obviously, I was just kiding
    about paying $60 for your copy.

i beg to disagree
    really!?! in the last year or two ive seen it pop up quite a few times over here. Anyway if you cant grab an OG of it just get the reissue cos my OG certainly aint for sale!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yeah I haven't seen the first Azimuth here, on a wall or in a dealer's "Paulo crate". It is a really tough record to find in Brasil, I've seen lots of other records I was surprised to see for sale so casually (mint mutatnes, Racional Vol. 2, etc.) but when I've asked dealers about Azimuth I've always gotten the raerface.

• azymuth backed up a lot of people in the 70's on other albums. some that are worth checking are : ana mazzotti, silvio cesar and helio matheus to name a few.

Word. Their bassist, Alex Malheiros (often just credited as "Alexandre") is on quite a few funky brasilian records from the 70s, for example the Orlandivo lp. I've often wanted to start a Alexandre appreciation thread...

• I tempted to splurge on the first LP when the tax return comes in, but I fear the Brazilman. Irrational fear?

• damn- i would have thought that azymuth LPs would be everywhere in brazil, i thought of them being brazil's beatles, but i guess not. Moogman, i could help you out on the reissue front if you want- maybe arrange a trade?