Light My Fire...what's your favourite version??

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
maybe one of the most often covered songswhich versions do you know? which one is your favourite??Spanky Wilson - Light My FireRhetta Hughes - Light My FireIsaac Hayse - Light My FireBo Baral's Excursionists Of Perception - Wallow In The Myrrh (Poets Of Rhythm cover)...(continue the list!)i guess i like the Spanky Wilson or the Bo Barrals version the best.damn! still looking for the Spanky Wilson on vinyl...

Comments

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Probably this

• wow!

good one! i almost forgot about this

• my big four:
    the Doors
    Jose Feliciano
    Clarence Carter
    Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band

• Al Green, then Erma Franklin, then the version Dilla sampled for Donuts

• I don't particularly care for Rhetta Hughes version, but I do really really like Africa's version.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Favourite mindgarden versions:

1. The Damned
    2. Discharge
    3. Jethro Tull
    4. Ramones
    5. Beach Boys

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    Toots Thielemans
    Jankovski singers

• Parliament/Funkadelic covered it when I saw them and few years back and it was nothing short of mind blowing.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Versions I never want to hear:

1. Tasty Brothers
    2. George Formby
    3. Annie Lennox with the Proclaimers
    4. Jean Michel Jarre
    5. Peter Criss solo

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    johnny harris is up there!

• Johnny Harris = Shirley Bassey one without vocals!

• on Shirley Bassey version and i am also partial to jose felicianos versions.

Does Jose get much love on the Strut his version of California dreamin is unfuckwithable

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    his version of California dreamin or work song is unfuckwithable

• Jose's California Dreain is the shit!!!

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Stevie Wonder....

really the most amazing version.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Al Green's is pretty much the best

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Shirley Bassey > pretty much everything on earth today.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Just today.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Young-Holt Unlimited

• wow...no love for brian auger/julie dris?????

i still havent figured out where i can get that tami lynn version...heat

• Johnny Harris = Shirley Bassey one without vocals!

Not the exact take, but Harris did eventually revamp his arrangement for Bassey a year later.

I like Rhetta Hughes, Young-Holt Unlimited,

Jose Feliciano, and El Chicano's very brief 25 second version of it on Viva Tirado[/b].

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

tami lynn version...heat

what am I missing with this one? I find it grating

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Jackie Wilson

• his version of California dreamin or work song is unfuckwithable

The Jacksonians version of "California Dreamin" stomps all over Jose's....

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've always been a bit on the fence about Light My Fire and most versions of it. The problem is the song itself. The verse is great (driving, moody), the chorus is weak (clunky, cheesy). The chorus takes the energy out of the song everytime, and it's hard to work with it, because the melody is what it is.

I was just thinking about this a couple of days ago when I was listening to the version from Isaac Hayes @ The Sahara Tahoe. It starts out with a super dramatic take on the verse with Skip Pitts killing it on the modulated fuzz guitar for a couple of minutes. But as soon as the chorus comes in, all the momentum is lost.

Still, I always check for versions of it. I think I prefer the longer, instrumental ones that seem like an extended jam on the verse with the chorus as a short intermission at the beginning. Short, vocal versions have to be done by a singer I really like, e.g. Al Green or Jools.

• I see three of you are riding for Al Green's version.

Counting me, that makes four.

But have any of you noticed that Al totally spaces out and forgets the words?? I mean, that's what makes it great...he TALKS the first verse, and then during the second he hums, ad libs, urges Teenie Hodges to "play yo' guitar" and generally loses his peapicking mind...don't tell me you're gonna overlook THAT! It doesn't sound like "spontaneous improvisation" or any shit like that, it just sounds ODD...

• Jose/Rhetta...

• Does Jose get much love on the Strut his version of California dreamin is unfuckwithable

seems like he did four years ago...i remember seeing a Jose Feliciano tribute thread around that time

• I don't particularly care for Rhetta Hughes version, but I do really really like Africa's version.

i like this too. this is actually my first time hearing this version (other than it's usage by Dilla on "Donuts" and one of his beat tapes). I can't even count how many times i passed right by this album whilst digging... never listened to it, never cared about it

• Julie Driscoll Brian Auger & Trinity - Light My Fire