Oh man Joaquin is buggin!

matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
What the hell is with this dude?

Comments

• He's good at keeping a straight face but this Rapping Grizzly Adams schtick is obviously a put-on. Wish it were more interesting though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This is the worst Andy Kaufman impression I've ever seen.

• Please tell me u dont watch David Letterman.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This is the worst Andy Kaufman impression I've ever seen.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

jesus i am out of touch with hollywood. i don't think i ever put 2 and 2 together and realized this dude was related to River Phoenix.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    have people realized yet that he is doing a mockumentary being filmed by Casey Affleck about an accomplished actor who quit movies to become a rapper?

or are we gonna ignore that and just be like "dude is buggin?"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    have people realized yet that he is doing a mockumentary being filmed by Casey Affleck about an accomplished actor who quit movies to become a rapper?

Welcome to 'Post-Everything-Under-the-sun-America'.

Can we put humorless humor to bed once and for all?

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts

Welcome to 'Post-Everything-Under-the-sun-America'.

Can we put humorless humor to bed once and for all?

i dont understand what is going on anymore haha!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    --------

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Letterman is like the default platform for interviews as performance art.

Chris Elliot
    Andy Kaufman
    Harvey Pekar
    Jerry lawler
    etc...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Despite my general numbness to anything that appears on my screen these days I still have a real problem watching those uncomfortable moments on talk shows where the presenter and audience are aware of something that the out of it guest isn't. Maybe it's some childhood trauma from growing up with British talk shows where some "heroic" ex footballer or actor would turn up half cut on a family show with what seemed like alarming regularity (it was probably only once or twice) but the cringe factor makes me want to close my eyes to it.

The Joaquin one seems to be entirely pointing towards fake (Quo's avatar is killin it) but I still find it hard to watch for the above reasons. Despite having seen it before the Crispin Glover one as he visibly falls apart on screen still makes me feel truly sad and uncomfortable.

Kinda off topic but, there you go.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Chris Elliot
    Andy Kaufman
    Harvey Pekar
    Jerry lawler
    etc...

Crispin Glover doesn't belong under "etc."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    not sure if it's true, but Glover was on acid.

I've never watched Letterman regularly, but I've worked on a talk show and been party to that same thing you talk about to some soul-crushing depths - watching it one thing, being part of the machine that makes it happen is another. The hosts' self-esteem problems mixed with fear of looking bad, losing control and just a plain old mean streak is a deadly combination.

Michael Moriarty was the worst case - even though we were told by his agent he was in bad shape (wasted, unstable), the producers still decided to have him on...with disastrous results. The segment was cut short and every guest that followed, ridiculed Moriarty.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

I've heard about this, but haven't looked closely. Is Affleck filming all of Phoenix's shenanigans for use in the movie, or will the movie be something else entirely and this is just buzz-building.

If it's the former, then that's retarded. Why would we watch of movie, of which the "best" parts have been broadcast on TMZ and Youtube every day?

Or is this really some hella post-modern meta-experiment that will reveal, under three levels of subtext and behind three broken fourth-walls that the joke is on us?

Either way, it's about as exciting as a teeth cleaning.

Chris Elliot
    Andy Kaufman
    Harvey Pekar
    Jerry lawler
    etc...

Crispin Glover doesn't belong under "etc."

Is there some value that's beneath "etc" in the performance art interview hierarchy? Lemme know and he's there.

Or is this really some hella post-modern meta-experiment that will reveal, under three levels of subtext and behind three broken fourth-walls that the joke is on us?

We are talking about an Affleck, right?

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

We are talking about an Affleck, right?

I suppose. I guess I'm holding out some hope that something about this whole thing will turn out to be remotely clever. Or at the very least, slightly worth the amount of time people, including myself, have spent talking about it.

Right now, Quo's avatar is the best thing that's come out of it.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

/thread.

• Letterman is like the default platform for interviews as performance art.

Chris Elliot
    Andy Kaufman
    Harvey Pekar
    Jerry lawler
    etc...

So you think wrestling is fake?!