~Oscar Sulley~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited February 2009 in Strut Central
Hey.I recently copped two Oscar Sulley related LP's and was wondering what else is out there by him?This one a 2-LP private joint from WI/IL area, one LP is traditional african drumming type stuff, the other LP is very good female driven spiritual Jazz with funky elemments. Done in collaboration with the Airforce band, but with out the bigband sound.This one is much more funk/soul driven where he doesn't play but must have helped the prison band dial in their music. More of a supervisor position.Does anybody have Jemalatu or his other later stuff on Delta and if so what does it sound like?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This one a 2-LP private joint from WI/IL area, one LP is traditional african drumming type stuff, the other LP is very good female driven spiritual Jazz with funky elemments. Done in collaboration with the Airforce band, but with out the bigband sound.

I copped that back when finding sealed LPs at flea markets for a buck wasn't a particularly odd occurance. There are a couple pretty good tracks, but the whole thing is a bit cruddy sounding, IMO. If it were well produced it would be face melting. And I always thought the band stuff on there WAS a bigger ensemble, kind of sounds like college jazz lab style stuff.

I have no other Oscar Sulley, sorry I can't be of much help.

• Sulley has a few records from Ghana, made before he came to the US to teach.
    Jemelatu is in a spiritual jazz bag, and decent.
    Beware Bontuku though, that shit is hackysack to the max.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I love this cut:

"Olufeme"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    http://www.discogs.com/Oscar-Sulley--Ogyatanaa-Show-Band-Ghana-Soundz-EP/release/337860

Loud pressing on a 12" with two of the best remixes Quantic has ever done.