standouts on the Black Jazz label

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
Inspired by the finds thread and reminded that i've been meaning to ask this for ages: which are the best albums all the way through and are they classics/essential to own?I've only heard a few songs here and there from comps and obviously the sampled ones, but there are loads that i dont have a clue about/probably wont get the chance to listen to otherwise. From what i've heard of Awakening, Gene Russell and Henry Franklin, i like. Are they great albums though? I'm trying to weed out my collection and only have really solid albums. Goodness knows i've bought a lot of crap in my time, which has just taken up space that would be better as air.So what are your opinions on these, including the less well known ones? I'm looking at the guy who sells the cd's on ebay, but don't want to drop a wad on one trackers. Thanks a lot for any advice on any of these albums, your input is much appreciated.Also, feel free to clown this post as much as you like. I know i've set myself up for a mighty sonning.

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    I don't see why this question would be clowned...Kellee Patterson and Roland Hayes are solid picks. Black Jazz sells CDs on their site. I think there were a couple of theads about the label in the past year

• Doug Carn is underrated imo

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    The Skipper is above average. None are great.

Don't buy CDs or reissues.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Black Jazz is a label that would best be enjoyed as a compilation or mix.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    My favourite Black Jazz release is

In particular the track Our November

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    My favourite Black Jazz release is

In particular the track Our November

I like this one way better

probably my fave Black Jazz LP

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Somehow I never got around to hearing that, gonna start actively looking for a copy!

Is it in the same vein as the Coral Keys album?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    All the Black Jazz albums are reviewed in the Reviews section. I don't think any of them are good from beginning to end.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    terds

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Wannabe Strata-East label.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts

probably my fave Black Jazz LP

great album, as is the two Awakening LP's, the Henry Franklin: The Skipper At Home--on the finds thread this weed and I really dig the Calvin Keys albums, especially Shawn-neeq.
    Hating on Black Jazz is lame... sure there's lot's of onetrackers, but man , they usually smoke. If you can track down the Comp's put out on Soul Jazz you'll get almost all the funky cuts, but they ain't easy to find no more

• all the way through is only awakening-hear sense and feel for me. mirage is okay but definitiely not as dope.

doug carn- revelation and adams apple are the most solid. that doesnt mean all the way though.

besides that, its one trackers or titles that if i got them, i hardly liten to.

but i like fusion more than jazz, so thats just my 2

• i think most of them are solid... in terms of performances, i agree that the standard is lower than other indy jazz labels (blue note, prestige, strata east) but i do think that most of the titles are solid listens all the way thru.

cosine on the Walter Bishops- these might be the best. also cosine on Henry Franklin 'Skipper' (maybe my other favorite, his other one is good too), Awakening 'Hear Sense...' (i still need the other one), and Calvin Keys 'Proceed with Caution' (still need Shawneeq). Roland Haynes also is dope but i only heard it once at my homey's house.

on the other hand i think the Gene Russell LPs are weak compared with the rest.
    also i agree that Doug Carn is underrated- performances are solid, strong concept- so check those out if you are interested in post-bop jazz vocals.

• terds

Revolutionary Smooth Jazz

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    the website is down apparently (and sounds shady too), so dont know who is handling distro or if they will become hard to get hold of.

thats a bugger on one hand, but on the other maybe a good thing as i probably shouldn't spend the money anyway. thanks for all the contributions, sounds like many of them are decent listens.

• the website is down apparently (and sounds shady too)

For the "official" black jazz label? The whole story of acquisition of rights was rather crazy, as was the lynching pic they had on their splash page for a while. Very strange. Don't know the details about it other than rumors.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    all the way through is only awakening-hear sense and feel for me. mirage is okay but definitiely not as dope.

True, yet Mirage has 'Slinky'... one of the dopest rare grooves there is:

But Hear Sense and Feel IS fantastic, and has one of my favourite extended jazz jams: Kera's Dance. Not Funky, but man does it Flo