Noir Strut (Film-R)

DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
edited January 2009 in Strut Central
seen the joints below "Sunset Blvd" is next on my list, what else? film heads speak up! double indemnitythe third manthe maltese falcon brute forceasphalt junglethe killing the naked cityshadow of a doubtkansas city confidentialnight of the hunterchinatownblue velvet the man who wasn't therela confidential

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ahhhh.....The bi-yearly Film Noir Thread!

maybe someone has the 10 pager from around '06.

Body Heat

• Watched Point Blank the other night. Anyone know who the band in the club scene is in that movie? BTW Point Blank shreds.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've been watching a lot of noir/classics lately. Some I've enjoyed:

Angels with Dirty Faces
    Killer Bait
    Kiss Me Deadly
    Double Indemnity
    Crime of Passion
    Killer's Kiss
    Dead Reckoning
    Fallen Angel
    The Stranger
    Nightmare Alley
    The Postman Always Rings Twice
    Brute Force
    Sorry, Wrong Number
    The Woman in the Window
    A Blueprint for Murder
    The Damned Don't Cry
    Sudden Fear
    Night and the City
    The Street with No Name
    Anatomy of a Murder
    Dark Passage
    The Enforcer
    White Heat
    The Killing
    The Big Heat
    In a Lonely Place
    The Dark Corner
    On Dangerous Ground
    The Asphalt Jungle

Ill rep the Neo-Noir. Mike Hammer in NYC circa early 80's.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Nice set you're putting together, there's a couple of easy to get ones you should add on.

Top of your must-see list should be Kiss Me Deadly - one of the best film noirs IMHO. The other one that's right up there is Touch Of Evil. Unfuckable with.

Noticed there isn't any Chandler in there. Yes it doesn't really make sense but Big Sleep has to be watched either way.

Oh yeah, mustn't forget Night and the City as well.

Traditional Neo noir doesn't get any better than Chinatown but John Dahl's early films are well worth picking up - particularly The Last Seduction.

Edit: Batmon's spot on that we did this in great detail a while ago - might have a search for that as it covers pretty much anything remotely noirish and many that aren't.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Pick-Up on South Street
    Kiss of Death
    Stray Dog
    Strangers on a Train

• Watch the French classic Rififi, its long but so good. Worth it for the title track alone.

DB I see a lot of James Cagney movies on your list, he's a favorite of mine too. Watch Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye if you haven't yet.

• I'll add The Narrow Margin by Richard Fleischer. He later went on to direct Conan The Destroyer...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Here's the 2007 film noir thread

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=794206&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

And here's the 2006 one I could find

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=714018&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Though I seem to recall one about three times as long

• The Sweet Smell of Success

Watch the French classic Rififi, its long but so good. Worth it for the title track alone.

DB I see a lot of James Cagney movies on your list, he's a favorite of mine too. Watch Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye if you haven't yet.

That just went straight to number one in the Netflix queue........with a bullet.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've been watching a bit of film noir lately, I don't really have an in depth knowledge of it mind.

I just want to second a few you guy's have already posted.

'The Enforcer' with Bogart I really enjoyed and I bought 'Stray Dog' on the strength of bassie's recommendation in an earlier Filmstrut thread. Such a good film, so thanks for recommending that. I've been getting into more Kurosawa on the back of it.

I've also got The Third Man downloaded so will have to watch that soon.

The Sweet Smell of Success

a favourite.

maybe I'm pushing it, but I'd add Gloria

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    great lists so far. cosign almost everything mentioned so far, try to name some that haven't been up to bassie's post

The Set-Up
    Road House
    Thieves' Highway
    Crimson Kimono (my favorite Sam Fuller)
    Born to Kill
    Phantom Lady
    Criss Cross
    Gun Crazy
    They Live by Night
    The Big Steal
    Odd Man Out
    Detour

foreign noir-tinged musts:
    Rififi
    The Conformist
    American Soldier
    Le Samourai

bonus points for:
    Blues In the Night (jazz comedy/musical/noir has to be seen to be believed)

• Can anyone find the gangster films from Asia thread?

• all the classics i watched while doing film studies in college have ben mentioned..

a great neo-noir is "Brick" - - - all the usual themes, femme fatales and flawed, tough-talking protagonists - but reset in an LA high school. really enjoyed it.

is "Rififi" the one with the really long, silent safe cracking scene? - -if so i heartily co-sign!!

Can anyone find the gangster films from Asia thread?

Seijun Suzuki
    Kinji Fukasaku

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Detour

Yes!

I can't think of many others that haven't been mentioned, but here are a couple:

Hangmen Never Die
    Touch of Evil

is "Rififi" the one with the really long, silent safe cracking scene? - -if so i heartily co-sign!!

yup. fans of tough French films (not necessarily noir, but noir-R) will also likely love Pepe Le Moko and Wages of Fear.

Can u explain what Noir-Related means?

The movie has a blonde in it?

I'm going to say Sexy Beast, too. It could have been made shot-for-shot (well maybe not the man/man sex part) in the 1940s instead of in the past 10 yrs.

Can u explain what Noir-Related means?

The movie has a blonde in it?

basically meant that the film has some elements of noir but also lacks a few, or has most of the elements but precedes the noir era. could mean director has worked in the genre and pushes some of the same buttons with this film, cinematography's similarly stark, has tough noir-y protagonist but no femme fatale, etc etc

Don Cheedle almost stole the show.

• Don Cheedle stole the show.

Just saw This Gun For Hire last night and dug it.

Also good:

The Big Clock
    Murder, My Sweet
    Out of the Past
    I Wake Up Screaming
    Kiss of Death
    D.O.A.

• Blast of Silence.

Blast of Silence.

The narration bothered me in that. Dude talmbout "You do this, then you do that". Nah, dude. That was you.

• all the classics i watched while doing film studies in college have ben mentioned..

a great neo-noir is "Brick" - - - all the usual themes, femme fatales and flawed, tough-talking protagonists - but reset in an LA high school. really enjoyed it.

I'll co-sign on "Brick" - a great, formal exercise in noir.

Of the classic era, I thought "Double Indemnity" would be really gripping but I found the performances to be as overbaked as the script.

It's been years since I saw "The Third Man" but Orson Welles as Harry Lime = a good look.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Of the classic era, I thought "Double Indemnity" would be really gripping but I found the performances to be as overbaked as the script.

This is crazy talk.

• Of the classic era, I thought "Double Indemnity" would be really gripping but I found the performances to be as overbaked as the script.

This is crazy talk.

Hey, I'm not above giving it a second look, it has been years. I've watched "Kiss Me Deadly" a couple of times which has its flaws but is a fascinating allegory for the unease of the nuclear age in the 1950s. Plus, it's fun seeing all of the future films it influenced including "Pulp Fiction" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark."