why do hip hop diggers...

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited July 2005 in Record Collecting
fucking wreck the bins? We get all kinds in here, but EVERY dude that comes in looking for hip hop records fucking destroys shit....records laying all over the place...sticking out diagonaly, records out of the sleeves, just trashed. No one else does this, not even the gutter punk guys...it seems strange that a culture and genre that reveres vinyl so much has no respect for it..just sayin'

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    You gotta see a Japanese record bin after a pro-digger goes through it 100mph, back to front... MESSSY.... luckily most stores out here got mad extra staff to clean up!!

peace.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah man, i make it a point to totally trash bins after i'm done looking through them.

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts
    bit of a generalisation....

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah man, i make it a point to totally trash bins after i'm done looking through them.

I am only commenting on the hip hop diggers that come in here on the regular...I even ask them nicely to please put the records back in the bins and they look at you like to just made the most absurd request in the world.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why don't you kick them out of your store instead of complaining on the internet about them

• raredaveraredave 205 Posts
    why don't you kick them out of your store instead of complaining on the internet about them

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    what's hip-hop? is it like that music rap dancers dance to?

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon...kick those fuckers right the fuck out of your store.There's no excuse for that sloppiness.Respect for vinyl??hmmm...a lot of hip hop diggers and dealers have NO respect for vinyl and it's fragile nature.I've bought records offa hip-hop dudes and it seems like condition is not a factor when it comes to prices.A trashed record will be priced as if it's mint,etc...like there's no dissertion between g- condition and mint.Fuck em!

Yeah, I'm generalizing but if the shoe fit's wear it...don't come at me with some defensive nonsense.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    At the risk of sounding like a curmudgeon...kick those fuckers right the fuck out of your store.There's no excuse for that sloppiness.Respect for vinyl??hmmm...a lot of hip hop diggers and dealers have NO respect for vinyl and it's fragile nature.I've bought records offa hip-hop dudes and it seems like condition is not a factor when it comes to prices.A trashed record will be priced as if it's mint,etc...like there's no dissertion between g- condition and mint.Fuck em!

Yeah, I'm generalizing but if the shoe fit's wear it...don't come at me with some defensive nonsense.

Baby

Ladies

Fellas

Are you ready?

Let???s dance

Baby (ooooh)

I know you like me (I know you like me)

I know you do (I know you do)

That???s why whenever I come around

She???s all over you (she???s all over you)

I know you want it (I know you want it)

It???s easy to see (it???s easy to see)

And in the back of your mind

I know you should be fucking me (babe)

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was hot like me?

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was raw like me?

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was fun like me?

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Fight the feeling (fight the feeling)

Leave it alone (leave it alone)

Cause if it ain???t love

It just ain???t enough to leave my happy home (my happy home)

Let???s keep it friendly (let???s keep it friendly)

You have to play fair (you have to play fair)

See I don???t care

But I know She aint gonna wanna share

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?(like me)

Don???t cha (don???t cha baby)

Don???t cha

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend raw like me? (raw)

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend fun like me (big fun)

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

I know I???m on your mind

I know we???d have a good time

I???m your friend

I???m fun

And I???m fine

I ain???t lying

Look at me shit

You ain???t blind (you aint blind)

I???m your friend

I???m fun

And I???m fine

I ain???t lying

Look at me shit

You ain???t blind

I know she loves you (I know she loves you)

So I understand (I understand)

I probably be just as crazy about you

If you where my own man

Maybe next lifetime (maybe next lifetime)

Possibly (possibly)

Until then no friend possibly

Is a ???? for me

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    fucking wreck the bins? We get all kinds in here, but EVERY dude that comes in looking for hip hop records fucking destroys shit....records laying all over the place...sticking out diagonaly, records out of the sleeves, just trashed. No one else does this, not even the gutter punk guys...it seems strange that a culture and genre that reveres vinyl so much has no respect for it..just sayin'

the crates on the floor ?

i'll be by soon

cj - gutter funk shit destroying guy
    bet i've walked on more records than you have

• reskresk 391 Posts
    i think its cause, a lot of these "hip hop diggers" as you call them are just plain old hip hop dj's who actually do more then just throw a record on the turntable and hit the start button. Most hip hop dj's cut up their records, etc doing tricks and scratches with them, arent affraid of getting a finger print or two and some possible cue burn. so a lot of these dj's look at vinyl as the a way of actually getting a chance to play a certain song and throw in their mix and no so much a collectable thats gonna sit on their shelf in a plastic sleeve.

the exception of course would be hip hop dj's who also collect records

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    "Attitude, you got some fucking attitude
    I can't believe what you say is true
    You got some attitude"

I think that' it. So many collectors, diggers, DJ's think they are cooler than all and people should just clean up after them. It's the same thing rich people do a lot. I've seen punks so the same thing. Mess up racks just to cause trouble like they are fighting the system. It's funny how so many people think they are on the edge when really they are the system.

It's the same with dude's who want to spend 30 min at the listening station needle dropping ever 99 cent record. Just buy the damn thing and go home and ruin your own needle you hipster fuck.

Plus, the reality is that so much of the world is just full of assholes who are only out for themselves. Leaveing a trail of bodies behind them as they reach for the gold ring.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    very true....i know a old man who has 1000's of records he wont let me touch because he says whenever he lets "young hippity hop boys" go through his records they leave shit everywhere and only buy 3 or 4 records...eventhough i pleaded my case and i'm not that kinda dude i cant blame the man for stereotyping...truth is the truth...young,broke bastards are notorious for leaving shit messy..no respect...i'm sure it has to do with the fact that these dudes aren't looking for anything in particular and for the most part have no idea what they are looking for.. so they're in a hurry & anxious thinking they are going to find a minty Stark...

kids on christmas morning opening gifts

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Baby

Ladies

Fellas

Are you ready?

Let???s dance

Baby (ooooh)

I know you like me (I know you like me)

I know you do (I know you do)

That???s why whenever I come around

She???s all over you (she???s all over you)

I know you want it (I know you want it)

It???s easy to see (it???s easy to see)

And in the back of your mind

I know you should be fucking me (babe)

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Fight the feeling (fight the feeling)

Leave it alone (leave it alone)

Cause if it ain???t love

It just ain???t enough to leave my happy home (my happy home)

Let???s keep it friendly (let???s keep it friendly)

You have to play fair (you have to play fair)

See I don???t care

But I know She aint gonna wanna share

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend was a freak like me?(like me)

Don???t cha (don???t cha baby)

Don???t cha

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend raw like me? (raw)

Don???t cha wish your girlfriend fun like me (big fun)

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

I???m your friend

I???m fun

And I???m fine

I ain???t lying

Look at me shit

You ain???t blind (you aint blind)

I???m your friend

I???m fun

And I???m fine

I ain???t lying

Look at me shit

You ain???t blind

I know she loves you (I know she loves you)

So I understand (I understand)

I probably be just as crazy about you

If you where my own man

Maybe next lifetime (maybe next lifetime)

Possibly (possibly)

Until then no friend possibly

Is a ???? for me

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

Don???t cha

didn't i warn ya'll about this song ????!!!!...shit will infect you...[/b]

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Don't know what shops you go to but I've never seen this happen before. Do you work at a record store?

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

Don't know what shops you go to but I've never seen this happen before. Do you work at a record store?

Same here. I have never seen this at a record store. Thrift stores are different. Well ya. Why specifically hip hop diggers? I don't understand.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    curmudgeon

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts

Same here. I have never seen this at a record store. Thrift stores are different. Well ya. Why specifically hip hop diggers? I don't understand.

I've worked in record stores and it happens all the time. Plenty of great cusomers and plenty of shady cats as well.

• Thrift stores are different.

I can say with 100% integrity that I don't mind demolishing the bins at my local Sally Ann...

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Sounds like the work of pot killing newbie gangsta folls with Soundlab belt-drives.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    so are you saying that

"young hippity hop boys"

are

young,broke bastards notorious for leaving shit messy..no respect...aren't looking for anything in particular and for the most part have no idea what they are looking for..

Isn't that kinda like saying all black folks eat watermelon and fried chicken? And I agree with what resk said - most hip hop 'diggers' are also DJs that don't hermetically seal their records.

• moonheadmoonhead 28 Posts
    it??s the 5th element!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Most hip-hop diggers know how to handle a record here. Sure, I've gotten a couple dudes who I had to bark at but the biggest offenders are hipster rock guys. Dudes pull out Love or Richard Hell and just manhandle the thing. Then they don't buy anything and leave the entire section slumped forward and leave all dour and disaffected.

Second biggest offender: French DJ with hammer pants (I wish I was making this up).

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    the exception of course would be hip hop dj's who also collect records

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    very true....i know a old man who has 1000's of records he wont let me touch because he says whenever he lets "young hippity hop boys" go through his records they leave shit everywhere and only buy 3 or 4 records...eventhough i pleaded my case and i'm not that kinda dude i cant blame the man for stereotyping...truth is the truth...young,broke bastards are notorious for leaving shit messy..no respect...i'm sure it has to do with the fact that these dudes aren't looking for anything in particular and for the most part have no idea what they are looking for.. so they're in a hurry & anxious thinking they are going to find a minty Stark...

That's real, edpowers. I had a collection of records (with a couple of raers) at my mom's house not to long ago. My brother would come over there very often in search of my records. Not only did he fuck up a couple of my records, he also lost[/b] some. It's suffice to say that I was highly pissed off about it but as time went on, I just let that shit go. We still cool but he will never touch none of my raers ever again.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

the crates on the floor ?

i'll be by soon

cj - gutter funk shit destroying guy
    bet i've walked on more records than you have

well, nowadays the hip hop section has grown and only the cheapies(2.99-1.00) hip hop records are on the floor, there are now 6 alphabetized hip hop bins, these are the ones I speak of getting destroyed.

As far as "throwing dudes out instead of complaining" saged advice I was given by a couple people...it isnt that easy, first of all you have to catch someone in the act...Shangri-La is housed in an old house, meaning all of our merchandise is in different rooms, it isnt just one big room that can be monitored. When you work by yourself, you are pricing records, helping other customers, answering the phone, etc....you usually dont see the carnage until the dudes have left.

I shouldnt have generalized "hip hop diggers", true, but I speaking of the dudes who exclusively just look for hip hop records...there are some professional producers who come in and they are respectful and even ask for advice(I am looking for some cool strings, some loud guitar stabs,etc)...but I am talking about the bedroom DJs who come in looking for "that new joint by so and so that just dropped" and proceed to destroy shit..when there is a bin labeled "Hip Hop- Just in"...perhaps it isnt a lack of respect, perhaps it is a lack of reading skills...

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    Maybe you should hire these guys. Some people have no idea what it feels like to clean up someone elses mess. How can you blame them?

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

hell no.

i have a large hip hop section at my store, hook up is dead on. hip hoppers fuck shit up. especially the stupid ones

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

hell no.

i have a large hip hop section at my store, hook up is dead on. hip hoppers fuck shit up. especially the stupid ones

I think (but could be wrong) that it might be because hip hop kids (djs) are the largest market for used records right now and are also the youngest. Seems to me that it would be a no brainer that a demographic like this would mess up more stuff- there are more of them and they have less experience. I'm one of them though, and I always treat records with respect, so there ya go.

Generalizations are fine to make as long as it doesn't lead to the condemnation of an entire group. If you see a trend, call it out, but don't get up on some "all hip hoppers don't know how to treat records," that's dumb.